Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley rollaboards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley rollaboards?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
I got my TravelPro Crew2 from www.stopoverstore.com for $119 (online store for crew, FAs, etc.). Thought that was a pretty good price! The bag is the basic, non-consumer/public version of their popular Crew line. My favourite feature is the J-Hook, where I can simply drop my laptop bag onto a hook-dongle thing that hangs from the top of the suitcase. It makes rolling through airports a breeze. I've found other 22" rollers from the likes of Tumi and B&R have convoluted clip systems that require a bit more user interaction when attaching a second bag. I've put my Crew2 through over 200,000 miles since I bought it and it still looks practically brand new (I rarely check it, though).

Since I'm a bit of a luggage guy, I'm always casually hunting around for other options. My next purchase will probably be a B&R. But for now, I'm more than happy with my TravelPro ... did I mention how much I love the J-hook??
I know he posted this a while ago, but a J-hook is available for both old and new style Briggs and Riley rollers. Sorry for low-res cell phone pic:

Top is the old-style "clip" type, bottom is the new version.

My U422X even has a pocket on the back (nested in the handle mechanism) to hold the hook or strap until I need it. You can see it on the e-bags site (pic of the 20" carry-on): http://www.ebags.com/briggs_riley/ba...30118409139159.

Last edited by bbison; Jan 28, 2010 at 3:02 pm
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
After doing hands-on research in stores and reading reviews, I purchased a BR 20" roller. Then this weekend I found that I couldn't stand the external frame.

I know there might be some who will be tempted to say, "I told you so".

But...some lucky family member will soon be the recipient of this very nice bag, as I'll be replacing mine with a Travelpro. Now I just have to decide on Crew or Flight series...

Last edited by GreenFireflyer; Feb 1, 2010 at 9:33 am
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Thanks for the warning! The hunt continues!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by GreenFireflyer
After doing hands-on research in stores and reading reviews, I purchased a BR 20" roller. Then this weekend I found that I couldn't stand the external frame.

But...some lucky family member will soon be the recipient of this very nice bag, as I'll be replacing mine with a Travelpro. Now I just have to decide on Crew or Flight series...
"I told you so!", even though I didn't really. The handle system works great on bigger cases but on carry-on rollers it just costs too much much room on the inside. The entire volume of the case has to be reduced significantly to still make the case fit in the sizer or in the bin. You also lose the possibility of a magazine pocket on the back and it just looks dorky.

Between Crew and Flight the differences aren't that big. Decide by features, weight and looks. I hear from a young member here he was able to shoot a Plat5 on ebay. That might also be a solution.

Till
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
"I told you so!", even though I didn't really. The handle system works great on bigger cases but on carry-on rollers it just costs too much much room on the inside. The entire volume of the case has to be reduced significantly to still make the case fit in the sizer or in the bin. You also lose the possibility of a magazine pocket on the back and it just looks dorky.

Between Crew and Flight the differences aren't that big. Decide by features, weight and looks. I hear from a young member here he was able to shoot a Plat5 on ebay. That might also be a solution.

Till
That young member is me. I kept myself busy looking through craigslist and ebay until one popped up. Also I have found a luggage store in Milwaukee WI, that sells all sizes of the Platinum 5. He originally asked $299 for the Plat5 22" but I knocked it down to $245 plus shipping. Almost pulled the trigger but lady luck was on my side and I found a deal that was hard to resist. If anyone is interested, he still have 3 NIB 22" Plat5, just pm me and I can provide the store information.

Charles
Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:18 pm

Very helpful, Charles. Thanks! While $245 is not a small sum, this thing is totally worth it. It's still cheaper than BR and Tumi and it is at least as good. I am happier every day that I got that case when the price was as low as $180. ^

Till
Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I told you so, just take a look upthread
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:10 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Avis First
Well I believe I am going to sell my new B&R 21" baseline if anybody is interested. I've had it for about a month.

this is my first post and I've really enjoyed this forum for the short while I've been on here. Thanks for all the help
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by bbison
I know he posted this a while ago, but a J-hook is available for both old and new style Briggs and Riley rollers. Sorry for low-res cell phone pic:

Top is the old-style "clip" type, bottom is the new version.

My U422X even has a pocket on the back (nested in the handle mechanism) to hold the hook or strap until I need it. You can see it on the e-bags site (pic of the 20" carry-on): http://www.ebags.com/briggs_riley/ba...30118409139159.
I'm looking at the Travelpro FlightCrew3 20" Rollaboard as my next carry-on, after checking B-R and other Travelpro products. stopoverstore.com offers what they call "In-Line Skate Wheels for Travel Pro", which is supposed to be a "huge upgrade" to the original wheels that come with the case. It's only $15.00, and I am wondering if they are worth it. The company will install them without charge if the case is purchased from them. If anyone can comment on whether they actually are an upgrade, not just replacement wheels, the information would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I recently became the lucky recipient of a 20" Travelpro Crew 7, and tried it out on some flights.

Not too big & not too small, it fits just right in the overheads. Strong & looks great. Quoting an earlier post - "good quality that gets the job done".

I've been looking for this one for a long time. Perfect. ^
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:07 pm

I recently became the lucky recipient of a 20" Travelpro Crew 7, and tried it out on some flights
GreenFireflyer:
I was looking at that same model, and noticed that it was not a "suiter" -- ie, no suit insert. is this correct for your model?

Does anyone know if TPro's 20" Crew 7 comes in suiter model?

I'm trying to replace my old (beloved) travelpro platinum 20" rollaboard suiter, but the only Rollaboard Suiter I can find in Crew 7 is 22"...too big to fit into overhead wheels-first.

(if anyone has advice here, I greatly appreciate it).

Thx
th123
Old Mar 29, 2010, 2:59 pm

I recently became the lucky recipient of a 20" Travelpro Crew 7, and tried it out on some flights.

Not too big & not too small, it fits just right in the overheads. Strong & looks great. Quoting an earlier post - "good quality that gets the job done".

I've been looking for this one for a long time. Perfect. ^
I'm going to check it out, I need to upgrade my travel accessories
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC-SE (MM), Hilton-Diamond (lifetime)
delete

Last edited by Piratos; Sep 6, 2010 at 4:03 pm Reason: found the answer in another thread
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 2P
My Samsonite Ultralite 19 inch Spinner broke last night - the handle top, and it's not fixable, it will require an entire new stem.

I love this bag because it's less than 6.5 lbs, and it fits into an ERJ bin (smaller than a CRJ bin, even). And it's a spinner.

That said - does either B&R or Travelpro have something both comparably light and compact? I don't mean "2 lbs heavier", as hoisting that thing over my head means every pound counts. Compact enough to fit into an ERJ bin (ridiculously small) and super light?

I didn't see anything like that on the B&R website, not sure if I'd have luck looking in retail stores, maybe even last years model.

I wonder if it's not possible to get so light AND be super-sturdy. Before this handle broke, I admit I had doubts about its sturdyness.

Last edited by skywalkerbeth; Sep 7, 2010 at 6:53 am
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth
My Samsonite Ultralite 19 inch Spinner broke last night - the handle top, and it's not fixable, it will require an entire new stem.

I love this bag because it's less than 6.5 lbs, and it fits into an ERJ bin (smaller than a CRJ bin, even). And it's a spinner.

That said - does either B&R or Travelpro have something both comparably light and compact? I don't mean "2 lbs heavier", as hoisting that thing over my head means every pound counts. Compact enough to fit into an ERJ bin (ridiculously small) and super light?

I didn't see anything like that on the B&R website, not sure if I'd have luck looking in retail stores, maybe even last years model.

I wonder if it's not possible to get so light AND be super-sturdy. Before this handle broke, I admit I had doubts about its sturdyness.
Closest is probably the BRX 19 from Briggs and Riley. You might check that out here on the forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.