Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley rollaboards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelpro vs. Briggs & Riley rollaboards?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by aktchi
BR is a great brand. If you had not specified "rolling", I'd have suggested BR235X shoulder bag - I own it and never had a problem at any gate.

Among rolling types (BR calls them "upright"), they do make a 20" but to be absolutely sure, try the 18". Non-expandable is $195 (my personal preference), zip-expandable $250 (I favor this expansion type as noted in post #25 above), the other expandable $300.

Can you return the 21"? Ask the store if they'd let you downsize. If not, sell it and it may still come close to an even exchange.

Personally, I'd just get the non-expandable one. The price quoted above is from reputed dealers, shipping is often free, usual lifetime warranty:
http://www.altmanluggage.com/briggs_u418l.php
http://www.surrayluggage.com/ba18casuupby.html

For an unusual suggestion, consider Andiamo Valoroso 20" wheeled duffel:
http://www.uwantsavings.com/detail_L...0WBLK__50.html
If you'd be comfortable with duffel style, this is probably the best value. At least the same quality as other deluxe brands, but the company went out of business, so no warranty but a fantastic throw-away price. Use code UWANT10 for another 10% off.
As posted just above this, the issue with my bag is thickness. The specs on the Valoroso indicate it's 12" thick, which is actually thicker than my BR. While it may "squeeze" into the overhead, I don't think there's any way it will fit into a sizer.

With respect to the BR 18" recommendation, those look like viable options, but I'll have to go to a local store to measure the actual thickness. I had hoped to match the rest of my "transcend" series, but it looks like function will have to win over form.

Anyone know if the Travelpro 18" FlightCrew Rollaboard or Pilots 22" Rollaboard (not regular "CREW", but the one that is actually sold to real flight crew) will fit in a sizer?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by trojanman
As posted just above this, the issue with my bag is thickness...
OK, so the problem is bulging appearance caused in part by the curvy contours of the transcend bags and compounded by some over-packing?

This should not be the problem with Baseline 18", or the 20" for that matter, which have regular shapes and straight lines. However, I must admit that my wife's 20" has never been challenged---we make it a point to avoid bulging look in all our carry-ons---and thus we have never tried the sizer.

In my experience a shoulder bag is almost never challenged. The BR 18" would be one of the smallest rollers in the terminal, so also unlikely to be challenged. At the same time, I do understand your desire to make sure that if the need arose it will fit the sizer. Let's hope that someone else can clarify that.

Last edited by aktchi; Jan 6, 2010 at 9:22 am
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K, Avis First, Marriot PP, SPG GLD
Thickness is the issue with my bag. Completely empty it measures 11.75" thick (not even in the same universe as the advertised 8.5" BTW). While it still may squeeze through at an empty 11.75", once you fill it with a few days worth of clothes (WITHOUT the expansion open), it suddenly bulges to 13"-14" thick, making it a very tight squeeze in the bin. And if you put anything in the outside pocket...forget it! It won't fit anywhere.
Ah, the transcend is a thicker bag than the baseline. My baseline is like 8.5" thick. Even packed for 5 days, I measured it for my trip this week and it was only 9" (without expanding). Take a look at the B&R site between the u421 and the U521 and you can see that the 521 is thicker.

For the baselines: thickness wise, the 21" is the same as my 20" bag. That'll be the same as their 18" bag as well. In other words, you won't see a difference in thickness between the baseline rollers from 18-21", the only difference is in length. THe baseline bags are very tough and boxy, it's harder to make the bulge due to overpacking.

I only use the outside pocket for a 3-2-1 bag to get through security. Once I'm through security, I shove it in my luggage so it doesn't stick out.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by patk
Ah, the transcend is a thicker bag than the baseline. My baseline is like 8.5" thick. Even packed for 5 days, I measured it for my trip this week and it was only 9" (without expanding). Take a look at the B&R site between the u421 and the U521 and you can see that the 521 is thicker.
So just to confirm, you measured the bag INCLUDING the external frame and it's a true 9" thick? If so, that sounds like the ticket!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:11 pm

So just to confirm, you measured the bag INCLUDING the external frame and it's a true 9" thick? If so, that sounds like the ticket!
Yes, that includes external frame. I'll be home friday morning so I'll remeasure the exact dimensions again, but I'm almost positive it was less than 9" with the bag laying flat on the floor to the highpoint of the bag. I'll double check on Friday when I get back.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:18 pm

Also, look at this thread, post #19. I listed the actual dimensions there when I bought the bag

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...uestion-2.html

Thickness: with nothing in the front pockets, i measure ~8-3/4" from the back of the rear handle to the front of the bag
Old Jan 6, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Another advantage of zippers: the bag expands only as much as necessary to accommodate the contents. With handles, it will expand the full 2" no matter what.
You can "open" the latches without actually locking them in the "expanded" position, having the same effect. But a zipper would have been fine as well.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:47 pm

You get what you pay for

Another vote for B&R.
12 years of averaging 10+ long haul trips per year and my B&R 22" is still going strong! Another vote for B&R from me.

I principally pack it full with stuff I buy at Walmart in the US and I always check it in. It's been through hell and it looks the part but it still does the trick.

I prefer the handles being on the outside as it gives you a much more complete square on the inside which makes it easier to pack it full of stuff. My only complaint would be the wheel wells that intrude into the packing space.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z
12 years of averaging 10+ long haul trips per year and my B&R 22" is still going strong! Another vote for B&R from me.
Do you have the traditional "baseline" or the fancier "transcend"?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

The only reason I can see anyone buying a B&R is because of the warranty.

No, it's not better quality than TravelPro or Tumi for that matter, the material is made by the same manufacturers.

Here's my personal experience:

There's currently 4 Travel Pro's in our household (Crew and Flight of various age). I've been using Travel Pro for 10+ years and the only issues I've ever had is zippers breaking and that's covered by the limited warranty. The only way you can damage a bag like this is to check it and I never check an up to 22" bag.

So why anyone would pay a premium for a bag just to get the warranty Travel Pro used to have when the quality is the same, is beyond me. The repairs you might have to do that's not covered under the warranty is from 20-40 bucks. I've never done any, but if I would, I would still come out ahead because the Travel Pro is just a lot cheaper to buy than a B&R.

And in my personal opinion, I have to tell you, the B&R looks cheap. Handles and wheels on the outside of the bag looks cheesy and also, the many B&R users buy a bigger bag due to measurement issues and will have problems fitting the bigger bags in the correct way in an overhead because the design takes up a lot more room because those wheels and handles are on the outside. So it will have to go in sideways and then you're one of those guys stealing other people's space over head. And you need a better warranty because the bag has a lot more critical parts exposed.

So if this is the type of luggage you're looking for, my recommendation is don't spend the extra money on a B&R.

If you absolutely want to spend more money, get a Poly Rimowa. I actually retired my Tumi fleet (which is the biggest sucker marketing deal) and got 3 Rimowas. The smaller Salsa Deluxe 21" is fantastic and even fits in the CRJ overhead. Great for overnight use. Also have a larger 4 wheeler Salsa Deluxe for 2-3 day trips that fit great on mainline aircraft and a Tango 32" for checking. Key words are superior quality and unbeatable ultra light weight.
http://www.luggageonline.com/product...oduct_ID=13796
http://www.luggagepros.com/rimowa-ta...2&zmap=PID3776
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:25 pm

Tommy, as big as a BR fan I am, I have to agree with your assessment in regards to bags that will rarely ever be checked. The warranty is not necessary on those (still good to have but not necessary) and the outsider handle system has exactly the effect you and others have described, it takes up room, makes the bag bigger and at least theoretically provides worse handling.

The Travelpro Platinum5 and 6 series have what Travelpro calls a Worry Free warranty. It is equivalent to the BR warranty but the bags will cost the same unless you can find a Plat5.

I have heard bad things about non Plat series not being very durable but have no personal experience. One thing about the Plat5 series is that parts are available directly from TP and they can be changed with ordinary household tools. So you could easily fit a new wheel yourself within two minutes. Or a new handle. It's really a wonderful design. I have thought about switching out the wheels on mine to red wheels to make the bag stand out more when I do need to check it. I'll probably do that when my wheels are shot. But so far, even after Venice, they are doing great.

So if you can find a Plat5 on sale and the bigger ones are still out there, I'd say that is preferable to BR.

If you need a check-in case with great warranty get BR.

Till
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
Tommy, as big as a BR fan I am, I have to agree with your assessment in regards to bags that will rarely ever be checked. The warranty is not necessary on those (still good to have but not necessary) and the outsider handle system has exactly the effect you and others have described, it takes up room, makes the bag bigger and at least theoretically provides worse handling.

The Travelpro Platinum5 and 6 series have what Travelpro calls a Worry Free warranty. It is equivalent to the BR warranty but the bags will cost the same unless you can find a Plat5.

I have heard bad things about non Plat series not being very durable but have no personal experience. One thing about the Plat5 series is that parts are available directly from TP and they can be changed with ordinary household tools. So you could easily fit a new wheel yourself within two minutes. Or a new handle. It's really a wonderful design. I have thought about switching out the wheels on mine to red wheels to make the bag stand out more when I do need to check it. I'll probably do that when my wheels are shot. But so far, even after Venice, they are doing great.

So if you can find a Plat5 on sale and the bigger ones are still out there, I'd say that is preferable to BR.

If you need a check-in case with great warranty get BR.

Till
Yeah, the Platinum warranty is equivalent to BR, but it's hardly worth the extra money. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of the Crew and Flight series. The oldest bag I have is over 10 years old and has been banged around with absolutely no problems at all

The Travel Pro Walkabout series is much lover quality and I would not recommend it after checking it out.

Both the wife and I take 100s of flights every year and the only issue we've had was a zipper of a bag that needed to be replaced which was covered by the limited warranty on all bags. And with the nominal repair fee promised by the limited warranty and my personal experience, why the heck would one pay 250-300+ for a Travel Pro Platinum or a B&R? The difference between the Crew/ Flight that cost about 150 bucks and the Platinum or BR that cost 100-250 bucks more is negligible. So the extra money you pay is for the warranty, nothing else.

And with the handle, wheels and bottom support on the outside of the bag, BR is not a bag for a road warrior. It's not a high quality product. Neither is the Platinum Travel Pro series. You have to look at Rimowa to find quality that can REALLY stand out from the bags discussed in this thread.

A very good friend of mine just bought a BR and paid 250+ for it and she can't fit it in an A320 bin!! It has to go in sideways, not wheels first. Can't begin to tell you how much I dislike selfish people who steal space where 2-3 bags could fit. So she pretty much flushed over 100 bucks down the toilet and got a bag that will make her unpopular on most flights...

But when checking bags, I totally see the point of getting great warranty that BR offers

So again, my advice is to save your money, skip the Travel Pro Platinum series or BR and go with the Crew or Flight series. Good quality that gets the job done and put the extra 100-200 bucks you save in the bank
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:25 pm

I really wouldn't go as far as saying that TP Plat series and BR aren't high quality bags. They are at least as high as Flight and Crew. By that logic Flight and Crew aren't high quality, either.

As stated several times, for a carry-on bag the warranty is less important. For optimum quality/price/warranty scores, buy the few Plat5 series that you can still find for $120-200. Be it check in size or carry-on. My Plat5 22" fits in most planes wheels first and is excellent in every aspect. I'd go as far as saying that it's quality might be superior to my big Rimowa Topas. The Rimowa gets banged up quickly. One of the wheel caps fell off (cosmetic but still). The TP Plat5 looks like new and has more trips on it than the Topas.

I also find the features on the Plat5 as described in my review to be worth the extra money over the Crew and Flight series.

Till
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by tfar
I really wouldn't go as far as saying that TP Plat series and BR aren't high quality bags. They are at least as high as Flight and Crew. By that logic Flight and Crew aren't high quality, either.
Agreed. That was my point. They are all good quality bag but they are pretty much the same quality in my book. What sets them apart is the warranty.

But to put any of them in the high quality class with eg Rimowa would be stretching it.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 2:02 pm

Do you have the traditional "baseline" or the fancier "transcend"?
Baseline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.