Reload this Page >

Costco Kirland Signature Executive luggage question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco Kirland Signature Executive luggage question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:03 am

Just picked up the new model and it looks amazing - probably the state of the art for a roller right now.

Here are some photos and quick comments; I've also scanned in a couple of pages from the brochure that's attached to fill in the details.

The style is indeed "more Tumi than Tumi" - can't find any flaws to the look at all:

The top zipper on the front of the bag opens a compartment that extends the full length of the bag and - surprise - there is a 3-1-1 bag snapped just inside the opening:

An excellent looking handle on the bottom:

Inside has a very nice lining and look to it. Tiedown straps are very similar to Tumi G4. I like the styling of it, but some may not like the black because it doesn't help finding items in the bag. The only immediate criticism I'd have is that the hardware for the extending handle is not as low as it could be in the base of the bag. It is about where it normally is in a roller - but Tumi figured out in the Tumi Light models how to get it right down at the bottom. There is still more than a little space under there in the new Kirkland:

The removable suiter straps down with two clips:

If you fold it over, there is *another* mesh pocket in the lid:

The new model is made somewhere in China - the booklet doesn't say where. The nylon feels a little heavier than Tumi and seems quite durable. It looks great, but the only thing I can't vouch for until this gets field tested is how tough it is going to be. Comes with a good-looking TSA lock, extra zipper pulls, and an add-a-bag strap.

$99. Item #515223. Five stars.

Here are the brochure scans:

Last edited by Air Pirate; Dec 12, 2009 at 11:21 am
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Nice work!

Thank you!

Do the non-black colors have a black interior? I'm assuming that there are colors other than black.

The Luggage aisle at COSTCO is very full right now. Obviously a popular gift item.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:26 pm

Awesome work, Air Pirate. Thanks a lot for the valuable post!

You are right, I'll be darned if that isn't designed with Tumi in mind or at least in the same factory. The Chinese are so super good at knock-offs.

I wonder what they mean with Cordura ballistic. Usually these are two different things. Cordura is a trademark and a kind of nylon. Ballistic is just a kind of nylon but depending on the mfr can be of higher or lesser quality. Dupont 1050D is where it's at for top quality apparently. Perhaps they are using Cordura but in a ballistic style weave. OR they might be doing something like what Andiamo Valoroso was doing when they were making a material that has both COrdura yarns and ballistic yarns woven together. That would be great.

When you look at the material especially in your own photos, it has the matte finsih of Cordura rather than the glossy finish of ballistic but the structure is that of ballistic.

In any case (no pun intended), this seems like a very good buy.

Are there any other colors, even? I thought it came only in black...

Till
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I'm disappointed that costco.com doesn't have any of the Kirkland bags just yet.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:08 pm

After looking it over a little more, this really is a nice bag. Couple of things I didn't notice the first time. First, the zippers are quite heavy and similar to those on the Tumi Alpha. Second, in addition to the 3-1-1 bag at the top of the outer compartment, there is also a small mesh zip pocket where you could put change, your phone, and maybe your boarding pass depending on size as you go through security. Very well thought out. Also, the inside looks much less "cheap" than the interior of the last generation. In fact, the only thing that looks "cheap" about it at all is the plastic hanger hook assembly at the top of the suiter. The black actually covers the interior very well, as the material itself is slightly stiff compared to Tumi and not quite as "plush".

To answer a couple of questions, there was only black available where I bought this one, and I don't think anyone has reported seeing any other colors.

Can't help on the material, although there is an Invista trademark on the brochure so it definitely is sourced from them. Unfortunately, according to Invista "ballistic" nylon can be anywhere from 630d-1050d, so it could be anywhere in there.

http://www.cordura.invista.com/docum...de_to_last.pdf

I'd like to think these are really tough bags in any event. Mine from the last generation still looks brand new. On the other hand, I was a little surprised to see a crew member rolling one around a month or so ago that clearly looked like it had been used hard and was ready for replacement.

If the question is usability and function, this bag looks like it beats the Tumi at 1/6th the price. But that's not the only thing that goes into the choice - there's always an element of fashion for some people, including those who will simply refuse to roll around a bag that says "Kirkland" on it, as silly as that seems. On the other hand, there is no way I am ever taking a Tumi roller when visiting sketchier countries or when I know the bag is likely to get beat to hell. That's what I love these for.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Air Pirate
After looking it over a little more, this really is a nice bag. Couple of things I didn't notice the first time. First, the zippers are quite heavy and similar to those on the Tumi Alpha. Second, in addition to the 3-1-1 bag at the top of the outer compartment, there is also a small mesh zip pocket where you could put change, your phone, and maybe your boarding pass depending on size as you go through security. Very well thought out. Also, the inside looks much less "cheap" than the interior of the last generation. In fact, the only thing that looks "cheap" about it at all is the plastic hanger hook assembly at the top of the suiter. The black actually covers the interior very well, as the material itself is slightly stiff compared to Tumi and not quite as "plush".

To answer a couple of questions, there was only black available where I bought this one, and I don't think anyone has reported seeing any other colors.

Can't help on the material, although there is an Invista trademark on the brochure so it definitely is sourced from them. Unfortunately, according to Invista "ballistic" nylon can be anywhere from 630d-1050d, so it could be anywhere in there.

http://www.cordura.invista.com/docum...de_to_last.pdf

I'd like to think these are really tough bags in any event. Mine from the last generation still looks brand new. On the other hand, I was a little surprised to see a crew member rolling one around a month or so ago that clearly looked like it had been used hard and was ready for replacement.

If the question is usability and function, this bag looks like it beats the Tumi at 1/6th the price. But that's not the only thing that goes into the choice - there's always an element of fashion for some people, including those who will simply refuse to roll around a bag that says "Kirkland" on it, as silly as that seems. On the other hand, there is no way I am ever taking a Tumi roller when visiting sketchier countries or when I know the bag is likely to get beat to hell. That's what I love these for.
I had one of these from the first generation that lasted seven years before a wheel disintegrated. When I brought it back to ask about repair, Costco refunded to me the lowest price at which it had been sold. I ended up replacing it with the B& R that they had on sale for $199 because I didn't like the no-zipper expansion. The re-introduction of the zipper on the expander is a real plus in my view. I do wish the "Kirkland" logo was not on the shiny plastic tag. It's not in keeping with the overall look of quality of the bag. On the first generation, it was done in red ink on a leather tag. I thought it looked much nicer, but was probably more expensive to produce.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I strongly suspect that you could ink over the Kirkland with a Sharpie Pen. I can't use a black bag. Just too old and weary to hunt around in a dim hotel room for my things. I'll report in if I see another color.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:38 pm

That tag is either glued or pinned on. It will probably be easy to just pry it off. Or put some black or even colored duct tape over it for easier ID of your bag should you have to check it in.

Till
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by tev9999
Saw a few at the Madison Heights, MI store yesterday for $99.99. Was surprised they were $30 more than the 26".
So the 26" was $69.99? That's half off. I'd certainly snag some at that price.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by tfar
That tag is either glued or pinned on. It will probably be easy to just pry it off. Or put some black or even colored duct tape over it for easier ID of your bag should you have to check it in.

Till
I don't hate it that much. It's just a minor detraction from a great bag. I don't need one at the moment, but when I do, I will definitely get another Kirkland bag. I wish they would bring back the 20" that they made for a while as well.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
So this new 22" Kirkland model fits... which planes?

I'm new to the rollaboard concept, but it's time to get away from duffle bags. The 22" Kirkland everyone's talking about- any notable mainline planes that it won't fit in? I fly UA so it's all about A319/320s, 757s, 767s, 777s and CRJ-700s (obviously UX planes are going to require gate checking, but maybe not the CRJ-700?). Thanks-
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I'm new to the rollaboard concept, but it's time to get away from duffle bags. The 22" Kirkland everyone's talking about- any notable mainline planes that it won't fit in? I fly UA so it's all about A319/320s, 757s, 767s, 777s and CRJ-700s (obviously UX planes are going to require gate checking, but maybe not the CRJ-700?). Thanks-
My experience is all on AA--and one US flight. But it fits wheels in on the right side of all MD-80s, 757s, 737s etc. Will fit lengthwise on the other side. Won't fit on an RJ. On the 767, I've only had it in J where it fits fine. Never flown on the 777. Oh, it's also fine on 747s and on CX's Airbuses.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I never had any problems with my Kirkland on any of UA's mainline planes. And I always do wheels out.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Thanks imm2b & 25milesfromhome!

As I said, I'm new to this game. In the past I always brought "stuffable" items for the overhead, because you never knew how much space would be left. But the past five years or so where I've been 2P on UA (and now, likely for just one fluke year of my life, 1K), I've obviously had the opportunity to make use of the overheads for something more substantial, but hadn't really considered it.

That is, until watching "Up In The Air."

Now it's time to get with the program! I assumed that, for my annual SFO-DC trip in March (bicycle industry lobbying event) I'd need to check baggage to bring my suit. No longer! Going to have to watch the movie again to see what other things I can pick up (besides the not-so-subliminal "AA- We Value Your Loyalty" messages every five minutes).
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome Mike!

Welcome to our little family of the luggage obsessed. We are also infomration obsessed, but we do share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.