Costco Kirland Signature Executive luggage question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco Kirland Signature Executive luggage question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HLT GLD, SPG GLD
I love COSTCO - disclaimer I am an Executive Member for years - and a shareholder. I get stuff from them all the time, it's the only place where I'll try an expensive electronic item no matter who the manufacturer - because I know that they won't charge me restocking fees or give me trouble for returning it - no matter how picky I am about the issue.

I have a Kirkland rollaboard that's travelled everywhere with me for over 7 years - I've never had a chance to test whether they'll take it back. Sadly I've opted for a lighter, smaller Delsey Helium now, and it's doing well - but it doesn't seem as robust... Nevertheless, to the folks that say they couldn't take around a bag with Kirkland Signature on it - would't it be interesting for you to find out who manufactures it? Most of these store brands are actually made by quite famous manufacturers who white label their product for Costco for larger distribution without affecting their "brand reputation". To carry a Kirkland Signature label implies the manufacturers guarantee that they will include something MORE than what is provided in their standard set that is generally sold for a whole lot more...

So enjoy your TUMI or B&R - I'll be the guy in the Kirkland shirt, with the Kirkland pants and the Kirkland luggage (okay maybe not that far but...) - and probably paid a whole load less than you paid for your air ticket too ;-)
Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
They do switch the colors, every now and again. I've had a Costco 22" for about 4 years, and traded it in once when it got slightly damaged after a lot of hard use. My favorite color is the dark olive, but they rarely have it. The newer versions are 2-4 pounds lighter than the older ones. I once picked up a black one at a Business Center location for $69.99, but usually paid the $79.95-$84.95 price. I think they're now $99.95 or so. Still a great deal.

My wife has one of the original 22" models, and it finally started to split around the zipper. I need to remind her to take it back!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 5:23 pm

Great info - thanks - i'll test this shortly

So this is really interesting - I was about to go buy another Costco one or get a B&R or something, but after all these posts about folks going back and showing them the damaged one, and getting a replacement, I think I will try that tonight.

I have had one of the original Costco rollers forever...I bought it in May of '98 (!). I work as a consultant so this bag has gotten no less than 8 years of a LOT of travel (maybe 100,000 miles per year). And I must say, I have been SO impressed with this thing. I mean this thing has been dragged *everywhere* (cases in point: 3 months of travel around europe for an extended biz trip, and all through NYC during 9/11...even through the downtown area the night of). This bag has held up amazingly. I like how 'simple' the thing is (ie, i can just pack what I want in there and don't have to fuss with pockets / etc.. The handle is extremely strong (though I wonder if the new ones are). In anycase, for a 'cheap' bag it's amazed me.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by MisterNice
I have both bags in the very nice common basic black. I just checked costco.com and black seems rare and blue dont seem to exist. Maybe try ebay.com The bags are the best luggage deal out there and what does luggage color really mean (but no pink please).

MisterNice
Would the duffel lend itself at all to transporting a laptop and accessories? (assuming I have additional padding for laptop I'd supply)
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
I've found that their 22 roller actually is a bit too big for the international sizers. But online there's a smaller one, 20" or so, with all the same features (tough, affordable, guaranteed) that fits perfectly and is also expandable.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 6:48 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
I love shopping at costco (note to self, must renew membership). My only objection to costco suitcases and rollaboards is that they are bog uggly.

At the same time, the rolling garment bag had me drooling. I wish I had bought that but at the time couldn't justify getting yet another bag.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I shop at COSTCO often. WE love many of the products. The pizza (take and bake) is the best we can get around here out on the prairie.

Next time I need a bag for checking I'll follow the advice on this thread and get one at COSTCO.

I checked the Fort Worth store this weekend and found no color selection at all. Black was it. The selection looked picked over and short on supply. Very popular item!

Are lots of folks reading this thread and following the advice?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Boghopper
I've found that their 22 roller actually is a bit too big for the international sizers. But online there's a smaller one, 20" or so, with all the same features (tough, affordable, guaranteed) that fits perfectly and is also expandable.
I'm curious, in what countries have you had problems with the 22incher?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:51 am

I was actually at a Costco last night, and saw yet another update to this line of luggage. Instead of a zipper that pulls around the expandable section, it is now controlled using some internal framework that is automatic...should be interesting to use!

I've had a Kirkland bag since 2000 and it's still holding up strong.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I checked the Fort Worth store this weekend and found no color selection at all. Black was it. The selection looked picked over and short on supply. Very popular item!
I found some cosmic red ones at the Costco Business center a couple of weeks. ago. Not quite maroon in color, these are the style from a few months back. The brand new styles now have a button or something to expand the bag, instead of a zipper, and are lighter in weight by a pound or two.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
QUOTE=LordHamster;9208017]I'm curious, in what countries have you had problems with the 22incher?[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for Boghopper but I can say that the 22 inch Kirkland regularly is stopped in CDG/Orly and Heathrow, and I have had occasional problems in Germany.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've taken my Kirkland 22" about 800k miles in the last 4 years. I've had some places say that it was overstuffed, and had to take a few things out, but never been refused to bring it on board. I scoff at sizers.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: F9 Ascent, UA, AA, AS, ICH PA, Hertz PC.....
Originally Posted by a330300
<snip> Instead of a zipper that pulls around the expandable section, it is now controlled using some internal framework that is automatic...should be interesting to use <snip>
Costco bags are (at least as of last year) made by Paragon Luggage. So, If you don't want to buy one from Costco, go to Macy's and buy it there...for more money...

The bags have gotten a bit lighter over the years, but when my wife complained to Costco about hers feeling too light compared to mine (hers was mid generation - still zipper expansion but lighter weight - purchased about Q2 2006) she got a personal email (complete with typos) from a Paragon Executive VP explaining the change in materials . Apparently the frame change (lexan frame instead of ABS) was brought about due to complaints about the empty weight eating into 50 pound domestic weight allowance. The newer construction dropped the overall weight by 3.5 pounds. I don't know what the weight impact (if any) of the non-zip expansion system is...

In Kirkland Signature, I've got the weird olive green (pretty unique) full size, and a navy blue rollaboard (both zip-expand and heavier construction). Love them, lots of domestic miles.

My wife has an *old* black rollaboard of the pre-expansion vintage (probably the "original" Kirkland bag, from around 1999 or 2000) and a "taupe" (read "tan") of the zip-expand but lighter frame vintage.

Next purchase will be an expandable rollaboard for her in a non-black color.

Go Costco!

RFTraveler ^^^
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Southwest A List
Originally Posted by kniveton
I was surprised yesterday standing at the luggage carousel at SFO to see a big black ~26" rollerboard come off the belt and the "Kirkland signature" logo on it.

Sorry, but I don't care how nice the bags are, I couldn't bring myself to tote around Costco bags. It's a matter of self respect, but maybe that's just me. I don't wear Costco clothes either.
I just purchased a Kirkland Rolling Executive Briefcase for $99 online and my first impressions are it is every bit as well constructed and functional as the other bags I've been looking at including Briggs & Riley, Victoronix, Brookstone and Travel Pro but at a third of the price. I received it in 2 days and can return it to any store for a full refund if I find it doesn't fit my needs.
The bottom line to me is function and appearance and this bag looks like all the others and the supplied laptop case is better than any other I've seen and certainly good enough to use as a standalone.

I have a Hartmann Belting Leather Briefcase that cost over $500 and after 6 months of laying under airplane seats and just being used it looked like S#*T. Also, it had to be sent back to them for a minor repair and was out of use for 6 weeks. I've since stopped using it because of its appearance and lack of utility and 4 years ago purchased a TUMI Brief in Ballistic Nylon which has served me well but cost $450.

I bought the TUMI because of my experience with a Garment Bag I used from 1992 - 1999 and later replaced with a Rolling Garment Bag by their entry level line DAKOTA which was half the price and same quallity and appearance.

TUMI is great but I just don't see the 5x cost difference in its utility or construction anymore.

Last edited by bullitt; Feb 8, 2008 at 12:24 pm
Old Feb 8, 2008, 7:22 pm

I think Costco has a complete satisfaction guarantee policy which means you can take just about anything (except tv's and electronics) back if you are not satisfied.
I've bought several of their luggages but still find them too heavy for me. I've given them to other family members. I see they are selling Rick Steves luggage set online. Rick Steves' 21" rolling carry on is only 7 lbs. Anyone has any experience with Rick Steves' bags? If I buy them at Costco, it's just like having a lifetime guarantee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.