Wiki Posts
Search

packing..best tips for new traveler

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2008, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
packing..best tips for new traveler

My niece is going to Argentina for 6 weeks on the 26 of July. She just turned 21 and this is her first trip abroad. I have been an adventure traveler, sea kayak guide, business traveler, and all around travel hound for decades. However, I am twice her age, I'd love suggestions regarding things you wouldn't leave home without for a trip of this type. She will be staying with a family doing a college exchange thing. I'm loaning her all my Eagle Creek packing cubes and their graduated line of "ditty bags", as well as an electric converter. Any thing you can suggest to make this an easy and happy trip for her would be much appreciated
Old Jul 15, 2008, 2:12 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Going in winter may require more or heavier clothing. However, if she is there six weeks staying with a family there, she may want to consider buying some clothes and other items locally after she gets there.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 2:08 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
If she really want to have clothes for 6 weeks, she have to carry heavy suitcases. Think of washing clothes in the 6 weeks and it will make it easier for your niece.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:49 pm

You may find Onebag a useful site.

Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:33 pm

This may not directly answer your question, but one general suggestion on packing I would make it to ROLL your clothes. Way fewer wrinkles this way - may not even have to iron your shirts ! I know it is hard to belive, but I tried it myself several times and it does work.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Anyone here use the travel spae bags?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum & a bunch of hotel statuses
I use the space bags religiously, as I only travel w/ small carryon. Might run into weight limits w/ larger bags.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 7:30 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I think first-time/infrequent travelers tend to over pack. Tell her to put everything she wants to take out on the bed, and then reduce it by at least 50%. There's no way she's going to be able to take 6 weeks worth of clothes, don't even try. Take 5-6 days, and plan to do laundry frequently. She also doesn't have to take her entire make-up collection, hair dryer, curling irons, etc. She can buy/borrow most of this when she's there. One rule of thumb I've given new travelers is to pack what you think you need and then see if you can carry everything yourself. If not, you're depending on other people to help you, which may or may not happen.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:38 pm

The space bags are great and make it easy to roll things. She may want to test things (for wrinkles) a couple of weeks before she goes. Good luck convincing her that no one will care if she wears the same clothes over and over again.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:41 pm

I agree with BLI Flyer. Make sure that she can carry everything herself while walking quickly. I find that walking to the train station to take a train to the airport, makes it easier to pack light.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1P, National Exec Elite
Suggest bringing older underwear and socks that can be thrown out at the end of the trip. More room for souvenirs.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
1) Simplify shoe options. Pack colours and clothes that will work with a few pairs of shoes, so that you don't have to take 6 or more pairs with you. Break any new shoes in before you leave, so that you know they'll go the distance.

2) Simplify colour schemes for most clothes. I tend to travel either with black and grey as a base (mixed with some bright colours and white tshirts), or with khaki/navy. Don't pack any item of clothing that you can't wear with at least two other items.

3) Pack at least a few outfits that are somewhat conservative and dressy (e.g. a dress that is at least knee length, not tight, not see-through and with cap sleeves, or a pair of nice pants and a button front shirt). There might be some special events (e.g. with her host family) where she'll need to dress up a little, and this won't be a good time to look like Britney Spears.

4) I've travelled for several weeks through 3 different seasons and business to beach with a carry on. One of the keys is a combination of the following: lightweight, black polar fleece zip jacket, black zip water-resistant jacket that isn't too sporty looking or marked with neon logos, light polar fleece gloves and a pashmina.

5) Pack lightweight, comfortable and modest pajamas, sweats or lounge clothes that can be worn in the house. She'll need to do less washing if she changes out of her outside clothes into pjs or something similar when she's in her room.

6) A silk sleep sack might make her feel more comfortable about sleeping "in someone else's bed".

7) Travel with a suitcase no larger than a 24" expandable. Anything larger will be difficult to manoevre.

8) Pack an emergency kit with: cold medicine in blister packs, pain reliever, sore throat lozenges, immodium, antihistamine and Compeed-type blister bandages.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA_MP, SPG
Make sure she has room for a camera and a book to read.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1P, RCC
The best methods I use when checking bags is:
1. Roll, don't fold your clothes. Line the bottom with underwear and socks if you have an uneven surface due to the handles. Rolling will reduce wrinkles if done properly.
2. Put the heavier clothes at what would be the bottom of the bag. This helps it from tipping over while standing or being too top heavy while moving.
3. Pack any toiletries you may be brings in zip lock bags (i double zip lock them myslef). This helps in case any shampoo or soap bottles leak during the flight. Place the zip locks in the middle of lighter clothes to provide a cushioning effect.

Doing this I have manage to take more of what I would need without going overwieght or being to heavy to take.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: Qantas, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
Definitely agree with the idea of rolling rather than folding.

I also think it's a good idea to put your heavy things on the top of all your other luggage. Helps squeeze things down and hold them into place.

I've considered vacuum bags but unless her suitcase is very small whe is very likely to run into weight problems that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.