Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Powder substitute for Woolite?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Powder substitute for Woolite?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a Woolite replacement that you can pack in carry-on with the liquid ban? I usually bring a few Woolite packets to do laundry in the sink while I'm taking a shower. One reason I don't like using regular detergent is the number of rinses you need to get it all out. With the Woolite it's pretty simple to rinse out.

Woolite packets:
http://www.magellans.com/store/Toile...reTL464N?Args=

Any idea about this stuff?
Powder detergent:
http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Pro...cos.htm#Powder Laundry Soap
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:25 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Priority Club, SW RR
This is more of a bar replacement than a powder replacement, but I've heard that the Lush shampoo bars also work really well for handwashing clothing. Just swipe the bar across wet clothing and scrub. I would imagine just about any shampoo bar would work; Burt's Bees shampoo bars seem to be a bit easier to find sometimes.

I haven't tested it out yet, but I'm planning to when I travel in a couple of weeks.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
there is a powdered form of hand laundry products! Look for boxes of powders in 'baby laundry care' for sale in most grocery stores.

It's another issue, if you want to carry on a white powder.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Wisk sells laundry soap in tablet form. I take them when I know I'll be doing loads of laundry while gone instead of feeding $$ into the vending machine for soap. You probably could cut a tablet in half. Or just put some powdered detergent in a ziploc sandwich bag.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:50 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Priority Club, SW RR
Even if I couldn't find a shampoo bar, I'd use hotel shampoo to do my handwashing before trying to take a baggie of some mysterious white powder through airport security. Besides, powdered detergents are formulated for larger loads, even the baby detergents.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 1:04 pm

My mother has always insisted that a bar of Ivory soap works as well as Wollite and is a lot cheaper. AFAIK, bar soap is still legal in carry-ons.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, KE Morning Calm
I use "Forever New" washing powder. I get it in the lingerie dept of a local department store, but they also have a website, www.forevernew.com.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:46 am
In memoriam

Fels Naptha bar soap was recenlty highly rated by Consumer Reports as a stain remover when rubbed into fabric. Probably works great for general laundry, too. Can be found in many supermarkets or ethnic markets, esp. those with numerous latino or black customers.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:01 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
As a traveler who often does laundry in the sink, I love Woolite. it works well for handwashing and is MUCH easier to rinse out by hand than most other detergents. I'm on the lookout for powdered woolite, too. If anyone finds anything...please post it here!
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:02 pm

Or just put some powdered detergent in a ziploc sandwich bag.[/QUOTE]

But only if you have a few extra hours to spare getting strip-searched by drug enforcement agents. : )
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:15 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
I have a friend that uses this:
http://store.botanicalearth.com/laundrybarsoap.html

She claims it works just as well as Woolite. Can't personally vouch for it though.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by venice4504
I have a friend that uses this:
http://store.botanicalearth.com/laundrybarsoap.html

She claims it works just as well as Woolite. Can't personally vouch for it though.
Interesting.. I wonder if Whole Foods carries something like that. If not it'll cost about $8 to find out if the stuff is any good.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Botanical Earth laundry soap

As an update, I bought 3 packets of the powdered Lemon & Eucalyptus laundry soap. The owner of the company is very helpful and recommended I try the powder instead of the bar (which is better for spot treatment). She's also very generous with the shipping cost and can pack up to 3 of the laundry powder packets (plus a very rich selection of samples) into a single USPS flat rate priority mail box.

http://store.botanicalearth.com/leeulaso.html

First impressions are that it's somewhat more difficult to dissolve than Woolite in cold water but if you use luke-warm water and add the powder before your clothes you'll be just fine. Also less than a heaping tablespoon per sinkload is more than sufficient.

Unlike regular laundry detergent, and more like Woolite you don't need several rinse cycles.

Since the current TSA restrictions are 3oz of fluid you could carry 12 packets of Woolite (each is 0.25 fl oz) but that'll cut into your ziplock baggie's worth of other toiletries.

So if you're looking for a powdered alternative to Woolite I'd highly recommend this stuff.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 3:05 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
A professional dry cleaner

confided to me that she wasn't overly impressed with Woolite (.."Well, she would say that," you say, "she wants you to pay her to clean your clothes.") But after years of hand-washing in Woolite my hand-knit, Cortina-pattern sweaters, I'm inclined to agree. In any case I get very satisfying results using a small handful of whatever I've stocked in the laundry room at the time--All, Tide, etc.--tepid water, a 5-minute soak, much up and down dipping with the garment supported from below to avoid stretching, and LOTS and LOTS of rinsing until the water runs "clean enough to drink". Best advice; be really, really certain you have thoroughly dissolved the washing compound, whatever you use, before adding garments.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Fels Naptha bar soap was recenlty highly rated by Consumer Reports as a stain remover when rubbed into fabric. Probably works great for general laundry, too. Can be found in many supermarkets or ethnic markets, esp. those with numerous latino or black customers.
OT

Fels Naptha soap also makes the best organic plant spray for bugs you can imagine. Just put the soap in a jar with water until it "melts" or boil 1/3 bar grated with a small amount of water, then put some of the "goo" into a plant sprayer, fill with water and bugs just vanish.

My Grandmother turned me on to this 40 years ago. Fels Naptha has the same ingredients as the "Safer" line of "certified" organic pesticides at about 1/4 the price. http://www.saferbrand.com/store/prod...&pf%5Fid=98024

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.