Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

largest carry on luggage that can be taken on-board?

Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:38 am
Original Poster

What's the largest piece of wheeled carry on luggage that I can take on any US based carrier? Who makes a decent one and where can I get it for a good price -- delivered by FridaY?

-new traveler
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by johndoe123
What's the largest piece of wheeled carry on luggage that I can take on any US based carrier? Who makes a decent one and where can I get it for a good price -- delivered by FridaY?

-new traveler
I'll let someone US based to answer with specifics - but perhaps you'd better check with the particular airline you're flying with. If you have a paperticket the limits should be on an enclosure - or you can probably find the info on the website.

BUT: remember the purpose made "wheeled" types can eat terribly into your weight allowance for carry on. (Likely to be around 6Kg or 7kg but often you'll be allowed a bit more). Also they "look" heavier - so are more likely to be checked for weight compliance.

If what you want to carry is heavy but not so bulky, you might be better off with a shoulder bag. You can usually get away with a couple of extra small plastic bags, laptop bag, stuffed pockets etc. I carried about 15Kg in a shoulder bag on Continental between LAX and SAT last year without any problem.

Of course it becomes annoying to other pax if you push it too far.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:58 am
Original Poster

The problem with bags is lugging them around the airport, otherwise a couple duffle bags would be the answer. Even carrying the laptop bag is bad enough. I believe 40-45 cubic inches or something is generally the US limit, but I was wondeirng what peoples experiences are.

Originally Posted by jimbo99
I'll let someone US based to answer with specifics - but perhaps you'd better check with the particular airline you're flying with. If you have a paperticket the limits should be on an enclosure - or you can probably find the info on the website.

BUT: remember the purpose made "wheeled" types can eat terribly into your weight allowance for carry on. (Likely to be around 6Kg or 7kg but often you'll be allowed a bit more). Also they "look" heavier - so are more likely to be checked for weight compliance.

If what you want to carry is heavy but not so bulky, you might be better off with a shoulder bag. You can usually get away with a couple of extra small plastic bags, laptop bag, stuffed pockets etc. I carried about 15Kg in a shoulder bag on Continental between LAX and SAT last year without any problem.

Of course it becomes annoying to other pax if you push it too far.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:49 am
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by johndoe123
What's the largest piece of wheeled carry on luggage that I can take on any US based carrier?
You'll have to check with the specific airline (web sites help). It can also depend on which class of service you are flying in, and whether it is domestic or international.

For practical purposes, also note that overhead and underseat storage spaces vary in size between different airplanes and different seats (e.g. some WN 737 planes have overhead bins large enough for "22-inch" rollaboards to go in perpendicular to the aisle, allowing more of them in the bin, but others are just slightly too small). So soft squishy carryon bags can be useful to fit in spaces that are just slightly too small in one dimension, if the contents are not fragile enough to be damaged by being squished.

Also note that if you are in the last boarding group in economy class, you may find the overheads filled up by previously boarded passengers, so you may have to gate check your carryon if it won't fit under the seat.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Most airlines have a definition of 22" X 14" X 9". That size will fit in just about any OH bin for full-size jets. Most OH bins are a bit larger now, since a lot of pax overpack these bags, and the vast majority still fit.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:46 am

I am trying to buy a carry on but want to get the largest one I can get away with. YEP I know the rules about sizes... BUT the question is what can I safely get away with assuming I will be boarding first and will have access to the bins. Usually I try to get a seat in the rear of the plane so I board relatively early. I was looking at some of the TUMI bags and they make a few that are temptingly slightly larger than a regular carry on.

Here are 2 sizes they offer:

TUMI Model 22004 24" x 15.25"x 10.5" - H xW xD ( THis one looks like a no brainer !! )

TUMI Model 22024 24" x 18"x 11" ( THink this might be OK ??? )

THese use a POPUP 2.5" extension... which I am not crazy about since squeezing the bags will be an issue of there is tight fit. THe zipped extension is preferable.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:07 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
cpr_metro, welcome to FlyerTalk. Your best solutions will come from our Travel-> Travel Products forum, and I'll move this to that forum for further discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by cpr_metro
...TUMI Model 22004 24" x 15.25"x 10.5" - H xW xD ( THis one looks like a no brainer !! )

TUMI Model 22024 24" x 18"x 11" ( THink this might be OK ??? )
A 24" carryon will not fit wheels first in any overhead bin and does not meet any domestic airline's carryon standard. In general, a 22" is the max that will fit and some of them are problematic because the wheels or handle stick out just a bit too far for the bin to close. If you use a 24" carryon, no matter your ticketed destination, you will almost always be rerouted to Gatecheck City.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:07 pm

Thanks for the comments........

What if I didn't put it in wheels first and instead put it in side first?
I think I'd be OK.. no ???
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA GS

You can do that, but I think you might annoy fellow passengers by taking up space. FAs will try to do wheels first to maximize space.

If it doesn't fit wheels first then it doesn't fit, but what really annoys me is people who don't try it before sticking it in sideways.

24" is definitely too big. Once at HKIA, they didn't allow 22" carry on for economy passengers. Remember, it will be full too and you have to be able to lift it into the overhead. You may have trouble getting down the aisle if it's too wide!
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: QC Life, AA
Duplicate message

Last edited by Maca44; Jun 11, 2008 at 7:13 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: QC Life, AA
Two weeks ago I bought a High Sierra 22" carry on wheeled backpack, which had a removable daypack. The model is AT405 and measures 22"x13.75"x8" and weights 7.46 lbs. Last weekend I flew Sydney-Auckland for a wedding, and the bag was great, and although it was only a two night trip the bag was more than enough for two of us. It meets carry on requirements for USA with the front daypack removed, but this then becomes a "personal item" and you can fit a lot of gear in that small daypack. I looked at other models, but this model has only recently been released and has telescopic handle which recesses completely into the bag thereby allowing better fit in the overhead locker. Everyone to their own, but it is very durable; pulls easily and I am very pleased with this purchase. I don't know if this is the same model but here is a view of it: http://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-Wh...232141&sr=8-33
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:18 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... no ???
Umm. No.

The overhead bin space is shared space with all passengers and is often overfull as it is. Trying to stuff in sideways a 24" suitcase, assuming you even get it onboard past the GA, is likely to really annoy those around you. There are many on this board, on finding the bins overcrowded, who would simply turn your bag so it is in end-first and use the resulting extra space to stow their own bag, leaving the bin open. When the FA comes along and is unable to close the bin, it will be the oversized bag that will be removed and checked. And you would deserve the resulting trip to baggage claim upon arrival.

We all have to share the very limited onboard space. That is why the airlines have the rules they have. The really experienced flyers who frequent this board all manage to get along with legal sized carryons. It isn't that difficult.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 1:49 pm

A 24" bag is too big. It doesn't matter how you get it into the bin, Chances are you won't get it that far. Gate agents see bags day in and day out. They can spot an oversized bag and won't let it on. More and more airlines are using sizers since they'll be charging for checked bags. If it doesn't fit in the sizer, it gets checked.

Get a 22" bag. STick to 22 x 14 x 9. A few airlines will allow slightly larger but very few.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

Sure, if you want to be a selfish @$$ with little regard to the fact that others have to share the same limited space as you do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.