Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Traveling Footrest

Traveling Footrest

Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Traveling Footrest

Can anyone recommend a traveling footrest they've used? It needs to be portable, lightweight and foldable.

I'm 5'2" and find airline seats extremely uncomfortable since my feet don't sit flat on the floor. My thighs and back get really stressed. I have an upcoming trip to Italy and I'd like to come off the plane feeling good.

Every time UA sends me one of those surveys I tell them about putting in footrests and making the head rest more adjustable. Everything just hits me in the wrong spot.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by MariaSangria
Can anyone recommend a traveling footrest they've used? It needs to be portable, lightweight and foldable.

I'm 5'2" and find airline seats extremely uncomfortable since my feet don't sit flat on the floor. My thighs and back get really stressed. I have an upcoming trip to Italy and I'd like to come off the plane feeling good.

Every time UA sends me one of those surveys I tell them about putting in footrests and making the head rest more adjustable. Everything just hits me in the wrong spot.
I've got the "Business Class Foot Rest" from the Magellan website/catalog. It's inflatable (only a few puffs needed). I got it after I had a bad accident and needed to pamper my ankle. It is slightly angled and I can adjust the firmness to allow me to flex my ankle now and then (kind of like a cat "padding" with it's paws). If I'm not flying Business Class, I always bring it with me on my flights. I'm taller than you, but I bet you'd like it. I've used it on trips to Italy, Egypt, Kenya, Hawaii, all without a problem. I like being able to actually put it where my feet want to be, not adjust to where the airline wants me to put my feet
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I've got one of the inflatable foot rests, but I've been using (and prefer) a cheap inflatable beach ball.

I'm short, too. The standard square inflatable foot rest doesn't raise my feet/legs as high as the beach ball (I don't inflate it all the way, I leave it slightly saggy). Especially on longhaul flights, I find that keeping my feet/legs elevated higher is more comfortable (and I have no problem getting my feet back into my shoes when we land!)
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Econo-High-Por...f=pd_sim_hpc_1

I think mine is a Travel-on but the concept is the same. I don't like the blow up ones because they are fabric (vs plastic) which for some reason, grosses me out as it sits on the floor and has my feet on it. This one can be wiped with a Clorox wipe, only it's feet touch the ground and folds flat into it's own little carry bag to about the size of 11" x 5" x 1" and weighs just over a pound. I just kick it closed and under the seat in front if the window seat passenger wants to get out - don't have to bend over and pick it up. Can use my feet to pull it out and open it back out.

I have a permanent, debilitating back condition (Cauda Equina) and this has allowed me to travel again where I otherwise wouldn't have been able. Even though I fly in first or business due to my condition, I still have to sit upright for takeoff and landing, which is excruciating for me. This foot rest has allowed me to do so in some comfort. Well worth the extra bit of carryon weight and space.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: No Longer Anything
I'm with you on this! It actually took me many years of flying to realize what a horrible angle my legs and back were and this makes a difference. It's a bit small but I move it around as I change positions:

http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Footre...ref=pd_sim_a_4
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
My DW at 4'11" uses a fold up stool bought at a dollar store. It elevate the feet enough so they are not dangling.
She wears support hosiery on long haul flights as well.

If we are in bulkhead row together with room we share my carry-on which doubles as our footrest.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slidergirl
I've got the "Business Class Foot Rest" from the Magellan website/catalog. It's inflatable (only a few puffs needed).
I wasn't thinking of inflatable, but if doesn't require much to fill, this might be an option.

Originally Posted by chollie
I've got one of the inflatable foot rests, but I've been using (and prefer) a cheap inflatable beach ball.

I find that keeping my feet/legs elevated higher is more comfortable (and I have no problem getting my feet back into my shoes when we land!)
I like this idea!

Originally Posted by Finkface
I use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Econo-High-Por...f=pd_sim_hpc_1

Well worth the extra bit of carryon weight and space.
I looked at this the other day and wondered how heavy it was.

Originally Posted by JenGal
I'm with you on this! It actually took me many years of flying to realize what a horrible angle my legs and back were and this makes a difference. It's a bit small but I move it around as I change positions:
Exactly! I don't know why it's taken me so long either.

Originally Posted by tentseller
My DW at 4'11" uses a fold up stool bought at a dollar store. It elevate the feet enough so they are not dangling.
She wears support hosiery on long haul flights as well.

If we are in bulkhead row together with room we share my carry-on which doubles as our footrest.
A fold up stool is a good thought too. I've done the carryon bag too. I was angling for something that I didn't have to worry about stowing in the overhead bin on takeoffs and landings. But a carryon is especially good when I want a little more height to actually stretch out my legs. Oftentimes I've thought of just flipping my legs up the back of the seat in front of me for a good stretch.

Thanks for all of the good tips and feedback! I'm going to check these all out.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by JenGal

http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Footre...ref=pd_sim_a_4
I looked at this one too, but as you say, I found it a bit small, width-wise. The legs telescope out on my Travel-On to make it a few inches wider on both sides, which makes it the perfect size. And the folded up size and weight are just slightly more.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:24 am

I know this is kind of a silly question, but what size beach ball do you get? I might try this idea! Thanks!

Originally Posted by chollie

I'm short, too. The standard square inflatable foot rest doesn't raise my feet/legs as high as the beach ball (I don't inflate it all the way, I leave it slightly saggy). Especially on longhaul flights, I find that keeping my feet/legs elevated higher is more comfortable (and I have no problem getting my feet back into my shoes when we land!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.