Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Airline-sized duffle bags for moving

Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

I'm moving overseas in November. I'm allotted three checked bags with 62 in dimensions.

The baggage I own is much smaller, so I was thinking of buying cheap duffel bags that will satisfy United's size requirements.

I was looking at eBay, Amazon, and stopped by Target today, but I couldn't find anything that exactly fit the bill.

Any ideas?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium

Ross Dress for Less and TJ Maxx/Marshalls typically have a wide variety of such luggage.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:06 am
iff

Originally Posted by Mats
I was looking at eBay, Amazon, and stopped by Target today, but I couldn't find anything that exactly fit the bill.

Any ideas?
It would be helpful to know what would "exactly fit the bill". What features are you looking for? For example, duffels with wheels or without? Any other particular details?

Here's an inexpensive wheeled duffel:
Travel Gear Spectrum II 30" Wheeled Duffle

One with a drop bottom:
Olympia Drop Bottom Duffel

And a basic duffel with no wheels:
Samsonite Tote-A-Ton 32.5" Duffle

Having done an overseas move with three large checked bags myself, one of my bags was an inexpensive wheeled duffel from Walmart bought for that purpose. That particular model tended to tip when full, but for the small amount of time I was handling it, I managed. It had the drop bottom, which I highly recommend.

I also recommend using a luggage scale to check the weight at home, as packed large bags can easily become very heavy. On the other hand, depending on the situation, there are times when an extra bag fee or overweight bag fee is less expensive than other alternatives.

Depending on where you're going, storage in your living space may be at a premium so it can be nice to have a duffel (rolling or not) that flattens down as opposed to suitcases that take up a lot of space.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Several family members have made such moves including one person who works in Alaska for a few months at a time. We've had great use out of the bags that REI-Coop sells for checking backpacks. All the big box sporting goods stores seem to have them.

We use zip ties on the zippers to keep them closed. We pack the contents in large trash bags to keep things dry. Double and triple bagging. Do not skip doing this.

We have shipped clothing, towels, sheets, unbreakable household items and toilet paper. Also boxes of tea and some spices.

Of course, you won't have wheels but as you will only have one departure and one arrival, you should be able to manage OK.

After dozens of round trips, the bags are still in full working condition.

Best luck to you!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Excellent. I just ordered the Samsonite duffles from eBags. That was perfect, and the right price. Thank you everyone!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
If your weight is limited to 22.5 kg or 50 lbs. per piece - at or under 62" linear inches, these L sized Duffles from LL Bean should be ideal. If you can take up to 32 kb or 70 lbs, packing them tightly (clothing) should all fit in.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63913...e-duffle-large

Online discount/sales code will bring their costs further down.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:57 pm

Protege 32" Expandable Rolling Duffel Bag in Black. $15 at Walmart.

Not sure how long it will last, but i certainly holds a lot and the wheels are nice to have, even if they are a bit unwieldy.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Protege-32...Black/11069689
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
RedOxx
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Glad I found this thread, I may need a couple for my own move. Samsonite bags look great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.