Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

largest carry on luggage that can be taken on-board?

largest carry on luggage that can be taken on-board?

Old Aug 3, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by gooselee
In the bin just behind my seat, what looked to be a 24" bag had been loaded sideways, but was still wide enough that my briefcase wouldn't fit in front of it. I asked around for ownership and nobody responded, so assuming someone had placed it there then gone to the back of the bus (strike 2), I took the liberty of turning it sideways and placing my briefcase next to it. The pax behind me then put his 20"-22" wheels first on the other side of my bag.

FA comes by toward the end of boarding and tries to close the bin, and the behemoth is now hanging over the lip and preventing the door from shutting. FA asks who it is, and the guy directly behind me, who saw me and the other pax turning his bag, speaks up - he says that he got it to fit by turning it sideways. FA then removes my bag and the wheels-first bag places them in the aisle, and turns the larger bag back sideways, taking up the entire bin. She asks who the smaller bags belong to, and 20"-22" pax and I speak up. She says that we should not have turned the oversized bag and need to find another place for ours or gate check.
Out of curiosity, why did you turn the 24" bag lengthwise and then (after seeing that it is now hanging over the edge) just let it sit there, knowing that it wouldn't allow the bin to close?

I'm not one to defend the oversized bag, but the overheads are first come, first served. If you can't find space for your bag, the proper way of dealing with it is to ask for help from the FA right away, not by rearranging bags in a manner that you know will cause a problem at the end of boarding, when the FAs are trying to get the plane out on time.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mikew99
Out of curiosity, why did you turn the 24" bag lengthwise and then (after seeing that it is now hanging over the edge) just let it sit there, knowing that it wouldn't allow the bin to close?

I'm not one to defend the oversized bag, but the overheads are first come, first served. If you can't find space for your bag, the proper way of dealing with it is to ask for help from the FA right away, not by rearranging bags in a manner that you know will cause a problem at the end of boarding, when the FAs are trying to get the plane out on time.
You have a good point.

When I turned it, I actually did think the bin would have a chance of shutting, since the lids on DL 757s have a bit of an outward curve - and my original intent was to find the owner to first ask if they had even tried.

In retrospect, I probably should have gotten the FA, but at the time I think I was just trying to get myself out of the way, was a bit ticked off that the owner wasn't around that area (though it turned out he just didn't own up), and was half afraid that the FA's solution would be to stick my laptop bag ten rows back, where there were still wide open bins.

One of those split second decisions that wasn't entirely thought through, I guess... =/
Old Aug 4, 2013, 5:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikew99

So the 24" bag person broke the rules by using much more of the OHB space than appropriate (sideways is uses much more of the available space than lengthwise).

The wisenheimer violated the "rule" of first come/first served.

I think the bag size violator was "more wrong" but that's just my opinion.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:20 am
L31

so 22" is the longest that will fit in perpendicularly. are there any limits to the width exceeding 15"? i have seen new bags on planes that seem to push say 18".
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by L31
so 22" is the longest that will fit in perpendicularly. are there any limits to the width exceeding 15"? i have seen new bags on planes that seem to push say 18".
Yes, the fact that many airlines' rules state a 14" width limit.

Many people, of course, just ignore that, either intentionally or not. I have a 20" B&R widebody that is over the width limit but virtually never causes issues. The only time it's been a problem is when for some reason they weren't pink-tagging on a CR7. The bins there don't accommodate wheels first, and they are JUST deep enough to hold a 14" wide bag sideways. I gate checked mine to avoid issues.

More recently I've downsized to a 18" B&R standard width. More than enough space for a week of business, and if I need more room, which is almost never, I take the 20" and check it.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:35 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I just went to BUF on US. The B&R 22 explore fits fine
The Samsonite 22in (21.5) but 15in wide and 23.5 ht with spinner wheels also fit fine on overhead wheels first! (bought at Costco as part of their Hilite series)
I saw someone not too tall with a bag at least 24 PLus in ht rolling to the back of the plane with it ; must be one of the sideways space takers
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
These are for B6 (JetBlue) flights only -
To fit under the seat in front of you, your item must not exceed:
For our Airbus A321: 17" (43.2 centimeters) length x 13" (33 centimeters) width x 11" (27.9 centimeters) height
For our Airbus A320 / EMBRAER 190: 18" (45.72 cm) length x 15" (38.1 cm) width x 8" (20.32 cm) height

In order to fit in the overhead bin, your carry-on bag must not exceed:
For all our aircraft types: 24" L (60.96 cm) x 16" W (40.64 cm) x 10" H (25.4 cm)

If the carry-on bag does not fit in the overhead bin or space is limited, the bag will be gate checked. or, that you are boarding late and all the available space are taken by someone else, loading wheels first and/or sideway, etc. Just a matter of SOL - it will be taken up to the jetbridge & checked/tagged.

Now, be prepared to personally lift that 24" bag that's typically 30 to 40 lbs. overhead - especially when the carrier's policy is still, until further notice, First Bag Fly Free.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: UA, HH
I read this thread and understand people not happy with 24" carry ons...

A little different question - my trips are almost always a short flight on RJ connecting to TATL or TPAC. Even with 22" I prefer to gate check the bag and board with a messenger bag. On wide body planes 22s and 24s fit fine.

I really prefer to have everything with me on a onward flight and check the bag on the way back.

So, would it make sense for me to get a 24" or stick to 22" or smaller?

P.S. Am I the only one annoyed by spinners? These 4 wheels sticking out take way too much room, IMO.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Artemk
I really prefer to have everything with me on a onward flight and check the bag on the way back.

Stick to 22" or smaller if you really want to be sure you'll be able to have everything with you on the onward flights. (And if possible, make your carryon non-wheeled. Some flight attendants seem to insist anything wheeled be gate-checked, regardless of its size, while non-wheeled soft carryons get more latitude.)

P.S. Am I the only one annoyed by spinners? These 4 wheels sticking out take way too much room, IMO.
The wheels sticking out come at the expense of storage space (since luggage length can't exceed 22" and still be a legal carryon), so I figure using a spinner is its own punishment.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artemk
I read this thread and understand people not happy with 24" carry ons...

A little different question - my trips are almost always a short flight on RJ connecting to TATL or TPAC. Even with 22" I prefer to gate check the bag and board with a messenger bag. On wide body planes 22s and 24s fit fine.

Are you talking about valet checking your back on the RJ? Even 22s and 20s will need to be valet checked on most RJ flights, but you get them back at the jetbridge when you arrive and can then carry it on to your TATL/TPAC as usual.

As for a 24" - just don't. They do NOT always fit fine on even the mainline planes, and if they do, you're likely turned sideways instead of wheels-first. And heaven forbid a GA actually enforces the sizer one day - you wouldn't even stand a chance of being able to avoid a gate check for the long flight.

I also can't stand spinners for several reasons.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by gooselee
Are you talking about valet checking your back on the RJ? Even 22s and 20s will need to be valet checked on most RJ flights, but you get them back at the jetbridge when you arrive and can then carry it on to your TATL/TPAC as usual.

As for a 24" - just don't. They do NOT always fit fine on even the mainline planes, and if they do, you're likely turned sideways instead of wheels-first. And heaven forbid a GA actually enforces the sizer one day - you wouldn't even stand a chance of being able to avoid a gate check for the long flight.
Valet check - that's what I meant...

Ok, no 24"s, will try to find a decent 22", hopefully with 2 wheels

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.