Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

largest carry on luggage that can be taken on-board?

largest carry on luggage that can be taken on-board?

Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:38 am

Ok ... I get the idea. @:-)

Are the gate agents also hassling those that have unzipped their
expansion so as to make the 22" bag thicker by 2 to 3 " ??
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:56 am

Any size

Gate Agents don't do their job either in enforcing elite boarding or size of carryons... you'll just piss off a lot off people... but any size you want depending on how big an ... you'd like to be
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:01 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by cpr_metro
I am trying to buy a carry on but want to get the largest one I can get away with. ... I was looking at some of the TUMI bags and they make a few that are temptingly slightly larger than a regular carry on.

Here are 2 sizes they offer:

TUMI Model 22004 24" x 15.25"x 10.5" - H xW xD ( THis one looks like a no brainer !! )

TUMI Model 22024 24" x 18"x 11" ( THink this might be OK ??? )

THese use a POPUP 2.5" extension...
Originally Posted by cpr_metro
What if I didn't put it in wheels first and instead put it in side first?
I think I'd be OK.. no ???
(Bolding mine)

Sure! If you could get away with it, I think there are larger options with 26", 28", even 32" bags. Why stop at 24"?

Image you have a checked bag with 51 lbs. Just a tiny little 1 lb over the free allowance. Assuming you are a non-elite flyer flying (before the 1st checked bag fee kicking in), you think the airline will let it slide and not charge you for the over-weight bag since it's just 1 lb?

Think again!

It's not about being selfish or not. The reality is 22" being the "common sense" largest carry-on bag that are not supposed to be challenged. Sometimes they even gate check 22" rollaboards.

Here are the listed restrictions of two airlines:

AA: 45 in/114 cm (carry-on)--link
UA: Carry-on bag dimensions should not be more than 9 x 14 x 22 in/22 x 35 x 55 cm (length + width + height) or 45 linear in/112 linear cm (the length, height and width added together).--link

I think 45" max is the (universal) standard. If you can manage to have the measure of your 24" bag fitting into the 45" (max of L+H+W), then by all means carry that bag on. The math I have with the two Tumi bags you'd listed: 49.74" & 53", respectively (without the 2.5" extension).

I know, I know, they are hard pills to swallow. But, man, those two bags do stand out if you want to bring them aboard. Wheel-in first or not, that's totally not the point. Those two 24" bags are for check-in, not for carry-on. Period.

Welcome to FT world!
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Umm. No.

The overhead bin space is shared space with all passengers and is often overfull as it is. Trying to stuff in sideways a 24" suitcase, assuming you even get it onboard past the GA, is likely to really annoy those around you. There are many on this board, on finding the bins overcrowded, who would simply turn your bag so it is in end-first and use the resulting extra space to stow their own bag, leaving the bin open. When the FA comes along and is unable to close the bin, it will be the oversized bag that will be removed and checked. And you would deserve the resulting trip to baggage claim upon arrival.

We all have to share the very limited onboard space. That is why the airlines have the rules they have. The really experienced flyers who frequent this board all manage to get along with legal sized carryons. It isn't that difficult.
I bolded that part of the quote because it is true. I have turned over bags placed sideways that were not oversized simply because a prior passenger was too lazy to place it correctly, and I have no problems with doing it for an oversized bag.

It might not be a good idea to extend a bag the extra 2". People who travel often and those who see a lot of bags (like GAs) can notice the difference easily. Also, an extended bag may not fit in the overhead compartment because the extra 2-3 inches of width may be greater than the size of the overhead bin. When I travel with a 22" bag, it usually fits just right if it is packed all the way (without extending the bag).

Like others have mentioned, a 22" rollaboard should be enough for a trip (up to a week) along with a personal item (briefcase, backpack, shoulder bag for a laptop). If you are traveling for a longer period or have to be a packrat, then you should check in one bag or ship it in advance of your trip.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:22 am

Is it just me or does it seem like there may be a bit of trolling in this thread in an effort to hit some hot buttons?

Maybe I'm just too suspcious....
Old Jun 14, 2008, 7:32 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by OffToOz
Is it just me or does it seem like there may be a bit of trolling in this thread in an effort to hit some hot buttons?

Maybe I'm just too suspcious....
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 2:05 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
A quick bit of measuring reveals that my bag is actually 22x15x10, though when i purchased it i made sure it was under the 45 requirements according to the numbers offered by the company.

I've never been stopped/questioned and my bag is usually the largest in the cabin.

On Delta with it really packed, but the expansion still zipped shut, it wouldn't fit in the bin at first - i had to try twice and shove it in there with much force (was getting caught on a lip).

It often fits wheel-first or whatever, but sometimes i have to resort to the pillow-trick to make it fit if a flight is crowded - if not i just sit it in there long ways.

Pillow-trick: Spin it around, wheels out, and stuff airline pillows under the front to tilt it up - allows the door to shut properly on certain aircraft.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Oh, and incase you doubt anyone would notice - a 22" is massive and most people dont have them. The 24" would definitely get noticed.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:32 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
largest carryon (legal)

Sorry to bump this old thread
My carryon just breathed its last
It was a coleman luggage 21 inch, but what made it exceptional was that it was 21x15x10 = 46 - I know it is large but it got past almost all gate side measuring devices

It was only 21, so it fit well
It was 15 in wide so the extra inch was not noticed
and it was 10 high and really caused no trouble to anyone else
I calculated once that it was 3150 cubic inches and was expandable

A typical 22x14x9 bag that barely fits or refuses to fit is 2772 cubic inches
This was 400 cub inches more, so about 13% larger than the largest carryon.

Anyway, I regret the abuse it got, esp the most recent, which caused its demise;
anyone know any manufacturers that make such hidden monsters?
I have very rarely needed to check in at all with this one by my side.
I can't find it on sale online anywhere
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:37 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Manufacturers often size bags based on just the container, and not the wheels and handles. This often creates problems. Some, like Kirkland/Costco/Ricardo, have made bags that are advertised at one size, but are actually another
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by fbrown627

Get a 22" bag. STick to 22 x 14 x 9. A few airlines will allow slightly larger but very few.
And those are the measurements including the wheels and any handles.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:15 pm

I call these the cheating bags. I have this old Samsonite I keep repairing because it's about 23 by 10 by 14. It clears the metal sizer by a hair and can close luggage bins wheels in on most planes. I appreciate the 1 inch oversize on the length due to my wider shoulders on the suits I carry. but it is a bit oversized and I never stow it sideways, lest another person might kill me for the space.

Last edited by Mellonc; Jan 15, 2013 at 6:15 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:52 am

I was a bit curious about a roller I was going to bring on as carry on. My wife and I have identical Nike Golf Departure Rollers

The tech specs indicate:

Size: 23"W x 14.5"H x 11

AFter reading this thread it had me worried. We did not want to check in any bags nor did we want trouble fitting them in the bin.

These bags are new and never used them yet, so I got a measuring tape and the tech specs are actually a bit bigger than reality. Measuring the long way.. The tape barely got to 22" I forget the H and D but I believe they too were a bit lower than specified.

This review indicates he had no problem, but a comment mentions some difficulties in the bin

http://ngnation.com/2011/11/11/produ...arture-roller/
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by eugenile

Size: 23"W x 14.5"H x 11
For certain on the RJs you will be asked to gate check.

My Tom Bihn at 24 x 14 x 9 just makes it on the RJs and
is considered max carry-on size by many airlines. Those
are the actual outside dimensions.

It would seem the GAs take a hard look at anything with
wheels unless it is super small.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by VA1379
I bolded that part of the quote because it is true. I have turned over bags placed sideways that were not oversized simply because a prior passenger was too lazy to place it correctly, and I have no problems with doing it for an oversized bag.
Interestingly, I did this the other day, and ended up getting *scolded* by the FA for doing so. I had checked my 20" rollaboard because I was on my way home, didn't feel like dealing with it, and it was just full of dirty clothes anyway. Boarded with just my small laptop case, which would easily fit under a seat, except I was in a bulkhead and needed to put it up top.

In the bin just behind my seat, what looked to be a 24" bag had been loaded sideways, but was still wide enough that my briefcase wouldn't fit in front of it. I asked around for ownership and nobody responded, so assuming someone had placed it there then gone to the back of the bus (strike 2), I took the liberty of turning it sideways and placing my briefcase next to it. The pax behind me then put his 20"-22" wheels first on the other side of my bag.

FA comes by toward the end of boarding and tries to close the bin, and the behemoth is now hanging over the lip and preventing the door from shutting. FA asks who it is, and the guy directly behind me, who saw me and the other pax turning his bag, speaks up - he says that he got it to fit by turning it sideways. FA then removes my bag and the wheels-first bag places them in the aisle, and turns the larger bag back sideways, taking up the entire bin. She asks who the smaller bags belong to, and 20"-22" pax and I speak up. She says that we should not have turned the oversized bag and need to find another place for ours or gate check.

I said that if there's an oversize bag preventing the bin from closing, it seems like that should be the one gate checked, and also point out that my small bag has no place as I'm in the bulkhead. She reluctantly lets me put it behind the last row of F, but 20"-22" pax gives in and gate checks his bag, since the entire rest of the plane is now full.

Still trying to figure this one out...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.