Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 2, 03, 6:33 pm   #1

Programs: AA P4L, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
SkyRest (Big Inflatable Lap Pillow) -- Worthwhile?

The SkyMall.com catalog lists a large inflatable pillow ("SkyRest") for use during flight. It costs $29.95 plus $7.95 s&h. Has anyone ever used one, and if so was it beneficial?

Here is the full description from http://www.skymall.com : Rest Or Sleep In Comfort In Any airline Seat!
Tired of restless attempts at sleeping on flights? Just when you're about to nod off, your head falls and you're wide-awake again! If you find this frequently happing to you, then you need SkyRest. It works with gravity rather than against it. Put your head down on SkyRest's soft pillow top and drift off to a restful nap. Because it's inflatable, SkyRest is extremely lightweight and portable, as it takes up very little room in your carry-on bag. Simply inflate in a few minutes and it's ready to use. When it's time to de-plane, just pull the plug and deflate.

You can see a photo at the SkyMall web site. It occurs to me that the pillow might amplify noises (like an air matress), and might explode with changing cabin pressures.

------------------
Middle_Seat
Middle_Seat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 03, 6:40 pm   #2

Ah, the old exploding pillow trick
Mrukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 03, 2:35 pm   #3
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Programs: AA PLT, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
do you have a more specific link? I'm too lazy to search.

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack
Old Jan 3, 03, 3:30 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, SPG PP, HH Silver, IHG Plat, MR Gold
Even though it's inflatable, it looks as though the SkyRest would be somewhat bulky when deflated. That is anathema to those of us who try to travel light!

May I suggest as an alternative: the inflatable Komfort Kollar from Magellan's. At about $25, it's overpriced yet worth every penny! It is better than other inflatable collars I have used, and it enabled me to sleep in economy class to/from South America recently.

It can be purchased via SkyMall, or directly on www.magellans.com, or even better, via www.ebates.com (7% rebate), or via www.goldpoints.com (50 Gold Points per dollar spent).

Kathy

[This message has been edited by KathyWdrf (edited 01-03-2003).]
Old Jan 3, 03, 6:39 pm   #5

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by g_leyser:
do you have a more specific link? I'm too lazy to search.

</font>
http://www.skymall.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...24@0&x=12&y=12

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
www.biztrip.com
businesstraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 03, 6:13 am   #6

The Komfort Kollar does look good. I've never had any good luck with the regular inflatable collars, but this one is a lot bigger and might work.

http://www.skymall.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...=111209223%400

------------------
Middle_Seat
Old Jan 4, 03, 2:58 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, SPG PP, HH Silver, IHG Plat, MR Gold
Yes, the Komfort Kollar provides better support than other inflatable collars.

By the way, I never purchase from SkyMall anymore since a bad experience a couple years ago. Their website malfunctioned and my order didn't actually get processed. When I finally caught on that something was amiss (a couple weeks after placing the order), SkyMall customer service had a real "don't give a ****" attitude. I ended up cancelling and just purchasing directly from the individual vendors instead.

And of course, if you go through a portal such as ebates as I suggested above, you get a rebate as well.

Kathy
Old Feb 20, 03, 7:40 pm   #8

If you don't want to order from SkyMall you can go to Skyrest.com and order direct. This product works well where collars don't. With any collar you still have to hold your head up. The product has a special valve that allows rapid inflation and even faster deflation. You can inflate the pillow with the overhead air supply. It will not explode any more than any other inflatable collar or what have you!
davecorbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 03, 7:57 pm   #9

I went ahead and purchased a Komfort Kollar, and will try it late next week on a late-night flight from SEA to FAI. It has a small, hard-to-inflate valve, which I guess ensures that very few will have the endurance to blow it up to explosive dimensions.

KK's come in three sizes, and since my neck is 16" I got the medium (14 - 16") size. This may or may not have been a wise decision, as the kollar is almost too small for komfort.

The KK, like its competitors, inflates all the way around your neck. This pushes your head forward if you are seated vertically. I imagine that a collar that inflated only in the front, to hold up the neck, would be better.

I've tested putting a nylon strap around the back of my seat and over my forehead (quite a sight!), to hold my head vertically. The strap had to fit over the closed tray table of the person behind me, which did not seem like a good idea.

------------------
Middle_Seat
Old Feb 20, 03, 8:03 pm   #10

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Middle_Seat:

I've tested putting a nylon strap around the back of my seat and over my forehead (quite a sight!), to hold my head vertically.
</font>
Wow, I imagine Hannibal Lecter would be secured in a similar fashion when he travels..
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 03, 8:07 pm   #11

I tested the nylon strap idea so nobody else ever has to.

Oh, and I forgot to welcome davecorbin to FlyerTalk. Thank you for the information on the inflation nozzle of the big lap pillow. Inflating it from the overhead ventilation blower does sound smart.

------------------
Middle_Seat

[This message has been edited by Middle_Seat (edited 02-21-2003).]
Old Feb 20, 03, 9:29 pm   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The trick to inflating the Komfort Kollar is to squeeze the valve while you blow in it.

Kathy
Old Feb 21, 03, 6:47 am   #13

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:
The trick to inflating the Komfort Kollar is to squeeze the valve while you blow in it.</font>
Even while pinching in just the right direction, the Komfort Kollar still isn't easy to inflate. Perhaps mine has a defective valve.

I was concerned about the big lap pillow exploding, now I can worry about my sinuses exploding while inflating the KK

------------------
Middle_Seat
Old Feb 21, 03, 11:37 am   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.8 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Dear Middle_Seat,

I have a couple of the KK's. Yes, they do work, but tricky to inflate. I am considering the non-inflatable version although at $60++, a lot of cash.

I think you ordered a size too small. Is there time to contact Magellan's for a bigger one?

oldpenny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 03, 9:20 am   #15

Any thoughts how this pillow would work in a row without a seat in front of you ? Bulkhead or e-exit ? Does it need to rest against the seat in front of you to be effective ?
Cheers
J
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote