Help: Best International Carry-On ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help: Best International Carry-On ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by JakiChan
Well your pic of the side-by-side Limbos looks like my partner and I. We just got them. Granite Brown and the Red. Can't wait to use them.

For carry ons, international size, I love the Salsa Air Ultralight. It's been great.
I have 3 of the carry on Limbos and really like them too. I just bought a Limbo in blue Limbo 21inch IATA 32L 88152

and I hava Maroon and Blue Limbo 22inch Domestic 45L 88156

also just recently picked up a Topas 21inch Cabin IATA 34L
Attached Images     
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:36 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
To those of you using the Sky Train, one of the things holding me back is that it looks as though if you even slightly over stuff it, it will push the limits of sizers today (on the 13 inch width measurement) if the gate agents insist on "easy fit". Any problems with this or do you really have to be cognizant of how you pack it?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by gwade
To those of you using the Sky Train, one of the things holding me back is that it looks as though if you even slightly over stuff it, it will push the limits of sizers today (on the 13 inch width measurement) if the gate agents insist on "easy fit". Any problems with this or do you really have to be cognizant of how you pack it?
Never had an issue with sizers. No issues with United or any other Star Alliance carriers including LH, LX, NZ and NH. If it's on your back, the GA's don't look twice. They are looking for those gigantic spinners that always seems to hit me in the shin as people walk down the aisle.

We've been on several ski trips to Europe and New Zealand, and packed our ski outfits in the SkyTrain. We do dress and pack lightly, as in weight wise. We almost got dinged in AKL with NZ for weight (we were just over 15 lbs, and the limit was about 14 lbs) but our Star Gold status saved us (we packed gifts for family from Australia who were meeting us in ZQN).

I find that traveling with a SkyTrain, is like backpacking. I plan what I carry, just like for a back country hike. It does mean souvenirs have to be manageable.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Hertz PC , Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I have had a lot of luggage damage this year at the hands of American Airlines.

I had my money out, ready to buy a Rimowa in NYC last week, and the guys at Lexington Luggage talked me out of it and into the Briggs & Riley Baseline. I went in with the intention of buying a Rimowa Topas Cabin and ended up with the Briggs & Riley Domestic Carry-on Expandable Spinner & Medium Expandable Spinner for $750 + tax. Yes, they did wheel & deal with me YMMV. My favorite feature of these is the CX™ Expansion-Compression Technology.

It didn't come down to price, but the fact that B&R will stand by their luggage for life. I realize that Rimowa has a 5 year warranty, but hopefully these bags will last me longer than that.

The other thing that got me was the fact that I fly on all sizes of the American Airlines stable. I was nervous that the Rimowa Topas Cabin would get tagged for gate check on those tiny CRJ-200, etc... I've had a Rimowa Salsa cracked that way and I can't imagine what the aluminum would look like.

You have no idea how much I wanted the Rimowa Topas. It looks insanely cool, the locks are awesome, and it's fairly light - but it's just not practical given my amount of travel. PLUS, the B&R is a little more stealthy as it looks like everything else and might not draw the eye of a shady luggage pilferer.

I've tried so many pieces of luggage in the past year. My Rimowa Salsa was cracked by American Airlines and they even busted up a Pelican Elite Carry-on (which I thought was bullet proof). Not at all - they screwed that one up too. To clarify, American Airlines did buy me a new Pelican Elite Carry-on but it took over 6 weeks to get it.

One thing is for sure everyone - as soon as you get your luggage back from being checked - inspect it. The airlines are getting ridiculous when it comes to damage!
nomadjohn likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bulbmogul
Its a "CULT" thing I guess..!
where do you get your rimowas?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by nomadjohn
If it's the US, I'd recommend Neiman-Marcus, Saks, Bloomingdales, as well as many reputable luggage stores. There is NO discount on Rimowa anywhere in the US so it does not really matter where you buy it from.

However, if you can travel to Europe for business or pleasure, then you can buy Rimowa at a lower price than in the US, you may benefit from discounts from time to time, and best of all you will get a detax rebate of between 18% to 21% if you do not live in the European Union.

Search for Rimowa in this Travel Products forum and you will find stores recommendations from myself and many others.

Rimowa is not for everyone, but those of us who own Rimowa often end up owning more than one piece. I am on my 4th Rimowa to add to my collection and they are ALL in active use!
nomadjohn likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:07 am

I have bought all of mine from either Luggage Pros or Altmann Luggage
nomadjohn likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by feysul
I have tried many bags. for a four wheel spinner get the Briggs and Riley Widebody Intl spinner... I LOVE THE Bag.

Wheels spin Freely
Lifetime warranty
Expandable system that comes in so handy
Quality construcion
Looks nice

I had the Tumi and this is way better.. Tumi is crap quality. i have flown many flights within Europe and i have never had a problem having to check it in.

You will love the bag. i bought mine on Ebay and saved some money. Just make sure its the right one. THe wheels need to have spokes.
I was looking at this bag too, as I've just started a job that will require weekly travel. I have to pack a suit though.

Is the suit compartment in the wide body int'l spinner big enough to take a suit? Specifically, is it wide enough to not crumple up the shoulders of a suit jacket if I pack it on a hangar?
nomadjohn likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by YYZMike
I was looking at this bag too, as I've just started a job that will require weekly travel. I have to pack a suit though.

Is the suit compartment in the wide body int'l spinner big enough to take a suit? Specifically, is it wide enough to not crumple up the shoulders of a suit jacket if I pack it on a hangar?
GREAT QUESTION: I am a big guy 50 Suite size. It could work but i find that at times I struggle with it in terms of the shoulder width. It does fit and hasnt been a problem. But i reach its max.

I strongly recommend you take a suite to a luggage store that has the model you want and then try it out yourself. You may also want to consider the continental spinner which is slightly taller...hence wider in the garment bag area.

I love the bag and travel several times a year to europe. you will be happy with whatever you buy. but take a suit and do a dry run.
YYZMike and nomadjohn like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

I have bought all of mine from either Luggage Pros or Altmann Luggage
I was thinking of getting it from https://altmanluggage.com/rimowa.html . What was your experience with them? I liked the no tax
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:22 am

I was thinking of getting it from https://altmanluggage.com/rimowa.html . What was your experience with them? I liked the no tax

I have purchased 8 pieces of RIMOWA from them and they ship out next day air at no charge and overtime the item is brand new in the box and perfect. I never had a single issue with them at all..
nomadjohn likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:04 am

The other one in NYC that I have bought quite a few pieces of Rimowa is LUGGAGEPROS and have the same feedback of them. I always get a brand new unopened box that is sealed from the RIMOWA factory and no sales tax and will ship overnight to you for free if you ask them..
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

I have purchased 8 pieces of RIMOWA from them and they ship out next day air at no charge and overtime the item is brand new in the box and perfect. I never had a single issue with them at all..
Just ordered mine from altman. Thank you so much. I'll put up photos as soon as i get it !
Barks likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.