the "backpack for business" dilemma

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the "backpack for business" dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
I consider myself lucky in that I don't have to suit up for my job, so usually when I'm traveling I'm just wearing jeans and a polo shirt, and I love my backpack. However, I do cringe when I see other business travelers wearing a backpack with their business attire in the airport. I'm fully in the pro-backpack camp because the reality is that most people travel with more accessories(crap) these days. A briefcase or laptop bag gets weighed down quickly when you start adding chargers, tablets, headphones, reading material etc... Unfortunately, even the nicest looking backpacks look like a school bag on the back of a suit.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: US Airways DM- Silver
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I agree that a backpack worn over a suit jacket or sport coat is a jarring sight. I see it all the time in my industry (commercial aviation) but it still doesn't come across as the most professional approach to me. That said, I've come around to the fact that backpacks are just more convenient for moving through airports, especially when pulling a golf travel case behind.

I've just recently moved to an eBags Professional Slim backpack. The backpack straps can be tucked away completely out of sight and there is a horizontal carry handle. When put in this configuration, the only indication it's not any other laptop bag is the slight taper in thickness from one end to the other. I wish there was a tuck-away single carry strap, but the instances where I'd need to carry it horizontally are usually only from the car into the customer's office and back out, so I can live without it. It also has a rolling back handle pass through, so I can keep it off my shoulders/jacket (wrinkles) most of the time but have fully padded shoulder straps when they're needed (i.e. pulling a golf bag case through the airport).
I just made a trip last month with the same bag. I travelled with that bag and a eBags MotherLode TLS Convertible for my carryon. Problem was, I forgot my small luggage cart for the MotherLode and had two backpacks. So for the airport, I unhooked the Slim's backpack straps from the bottom and tucked them into the vertical luggage handle passthrough. Then connected the MotherLode's shoulder strap from the backpack clip and made a loop at the top handle. Not pretty, but works in a pinch as a shoulder strap!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:58 pm

I use a convertible bag (Tom Bihn Western Flyer in Black) which doubles nicely as a briefcase (heading into meeting) and backpack (running through airport or walking around NYC). For 1-2 night trips, its the only bag I carry.

As for the backpack in professional settings, it really depends on the backpack and the setting. Tumi and others make backpacks that are perfectly acceptable to me for any business type meeting but meeting with the CxO and a jansport or northface one is probably not a good idea. I work in technology sales so its usually not a big deal as few of my customers dress up beyond business casual though I'm usually in a sport coat or suit but rarely have a tie on.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:39 pm

I guess it depends on when and where. If necessary just live with a leather shoulder bag I guess.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:05 am

I travel with a 3 way bag. It is a backpack, briefcase, and messenger bag all in 1. The backpack straps hide away and you can turn it into a briefcase. I saw these in Japan 2 years back and found one at Uniqlo. You can opt for a leather one but they are a bit hard to find in North America.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:35 am

Reviving a slightly older thread, but I've been using the small version of this backpack for travel and everyday carry (the larger one is really only good if you're tall, I'd guess. Like 6'3" or bigger): https://www.peakdesign.com/product/b...MaAomQEALw_wcB

The grey and brown both work really well for travel and don't look awful with a suit. Also, in a pinch, they work pretty well as a diaper bag because of the modular organization, haha!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:38 pm

Arc'teryx Nomin (V1) or my 3-way Porter Hybrid briefcase.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've seen a few threads on this over the years but didn't have a chance (or just plain forgot) to respond. I was in the same boat as OP. I really liked backpacks but I work for a Big 4 consultancy so its suits all day everyday -- and a sport or even remotely sporty looking backpack is a no go. I also have a graveyard of at least 20-35 laptop and luggage cases ranging from inexpensive to very expensive in the basement (something my wife reminds me of a lot).

Two years ago for a birthday present, my wife bought me the Tumi Arrive Logan backpack. https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tumi-ar...ckpack/4335774. I couldn't find it on Tumi's current selection website so forgive the Nordstrom's link. I love this backpack, it looks professional -- fits my slim frame very well while wearing a suit jacket up to and including an overcoat. When I first got it, I was carrying a MS Surface Book. Nowadays, I carry a 2016 MBP 15", accessories -- and sometimes a client laptop. It all fits amazingly well, good support on the shoulders, great attachment to roller bags, etc.

Just my two cents.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, lifetime platinum. Southwest Companion, Eva Airline Gold, Emirate Airline,
I went through the same thought process. Ended up using a 3 way convertible bag from Zero Halliburton. Working out so far.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN, IHG Plat, Herts PC, Marriott Silver
Thanks for the feedback guys!
I ended up going for the Tumi Kinser flap and have been really satisfied with it.
I actually started a trend because my colleague bought the exact same one after seeing me with it :-)

gr
Kev

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.