Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice: need luggage for adventure travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:23 am
par
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Advice: need luggage for adventure travel

Hi,

I'm going to visit India for a month in December. Planning to go to the north for half the time and South for half the time. I'm doing jet domestic in India so 20kg luggage limit applies.

I'm a very frequently business traveler, but it's typically at most 2 weeks, biz class luggage limits (international) and a cab ride to a hotel. Now I'm going on road trips in cars etc in Rajastan and short flight to varanasi and so on.

I have used all kinds of luggage, but a business suiter isn't what I need for this. I prefer wheeled luggage as opposed to backpack (I'm getting older).

What do you recommend?

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:41 am

You could look for what you need at Amazon or Promopure.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:30 pm

Osprey and Eagle Creek make two wheeled bags with larger than average wheels and higher clearance. This helps when terrain is a little more uneven if you'll walking with it over longer distances. Google maps street view and tripadvisor hotel photos might help determine the travel conditions.

20kg is a good bit of weight and road trips (assuming your bag goes inside car/tour bus) aren't really safari/expeditions conditions to rugged terrains areas during monsoon season. The good news is that you just need a sturdy bag, not one that is resistant to all weather conditions and destructive handling.

ETA: I looked up the definition of adventure travel as it seems the people I know who go to India take wheeled check-in luggage, albeit occasionally in larger than usual quantities filled with gifts, "adventure travel may be any tourist activity that includes the following three components: a physical activity, a cultural exchange and connection with nature.[1]" The only thing I'd be a bit careful about is bringing in multiple new electronics without receipts as Indian customs specifically allows one laptop per person as duty free. I've heard that multiple phones in the original boxes can also be a problem.
[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_travel#cite_note-1

Last edited by freecia; Aug 11, 2017 at 1:50 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I second the suggestion for looking at Eagle Creek wheeled products. They have a more "adventure travel" design and, as mentioned above, good two-wheeled options. I believe there are several carry-on sized styles on sale right now. Check the eaglecreek.com and ebags.com websites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.