Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Your favorite passport holder/neck wallet/ fanny pack!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Needing to find a new/better system to store passport as well as VIP documents such as boarding passes, credit cards, etc.

I was looking at the fanny pack system and as silly/unfashionable...it seems to be very logical in keeping things in a close/secure place on your body with ease.

What do you guys like?

Neck wallet style (https://www.amazon.com/YOMO-Passport...+passport+rfid)

Or money belt style (https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Money-...+passport+rfid)
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Both look extremely dorky/naff/silly. Just keep documents on you like everyone else rather than have these things which immediately brand you in an unflattering way.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Also, fanny packs are stupid easy to steal. Bad place to keep anything important.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Also, fanny packs are stupid easy to steal. Bad place to keep anything important.
Indeed! I don't want anything important accessible by an external zipper or a pocket that can be directly slashed.

Anecdotally, during my first time traveling abroad alone many moons ago, a girl I ended up traveling with had here wallet and passport stolen from a such a bag, which was facing front and which she was diligently watching.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:19 pm

If you need to be carrying things like passports on you while out and about, I'd go with this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BYFAIH0..._KXJEzbE5QSC6D

Last edited by doublethebass; Jul 29, 2017 at 1:44 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:59 pm

Without a doubt, SPIbelt. I use a large pocket one for my passport and credit card, wear it under my blouse. They are designed for runners but work great for travel "deep storage". My husband uses one as well. We keep daily money for buses and food in a more accessible place like a zippered pocket.
https://spibelt.com/shop/spibelt/large-pocket-spibelt/#
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by TPACjv
Indeed! I don't want anything important accessible by an external zipper or a pocket that can be directly slashed.

Anecdotally, during my first time traveling abroad alone many moons ago, a girl I ended up traveling with had here wallet and passport stolen from a such a bag, which was facing front and which she was diligently watching.
It's not even the external zippers, these things have giant clips on them. Squeeze and they can steal the entire thing before you know it. And they will brand you a tourist immediately and therefore a target.

If you want something more secure look into PacSafe messenger bags. They have built in safety features that make pick pocketing less likely.

Last edited by DutchessPDX; Aug 11, 2017 at 4:34 pm Reason: Additional Info instead of second post.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Neck wallet or wallet that attaches to your belt and goes under your pants. Fanny packs look stupid and are very easy to steal from. Another option would be a Scottevest, many interior pockets keep items safe from pickpockets. Some styles have an RFID pocket.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:36 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Does anyone know about a neck wallet that would have a really comfortable neck strap? All neck wallets I've tried have had uncomfortable straps, some with "sliding padding" which moves around, etc. If some great strap material exists, I could just replace the strap of existing neck wallet... Ideas to try?

I've also tried sewing an extra inside internal pocket to some of my pants and shorts, which worked out OK after I figured where to place it — same position where the normal pocket is. This has worked well for wallet/money/cards, but passport is a bit too big to keep here, thus still looking for a better neck wallet.

I've done some day trips with just the neck wallet and nothing else. It's liberating to fly with no bags or anything except stuff in pockets (and neck wallet). On longer trips, I want to keep my passport close and safe, too...
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Eagle Creek makes neck wallets that have comfortable-looking neck straps. I like Pacsafe products, but their neck straps have a wire and aren't as comfortable against bare skin. I wear them over a shirt or q-zip and under a jacket.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:19 am

My favorite is the Eagle Creek hidden pocket reference above. If you are at all anxious about the loops at the belt being slashed, which I am not, you could always use a large safety pin as back up.

I just purchased one for some young relatives going on their first trip abroad.

edited to add- You may want to look at travel pants such as Royal Robbins and other companies make. Not all of them are cargo pants style. Some look pretty normal with hidden security features.
doublethebass likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.