Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Performance fabric undershirts

Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

One-bagger (Red Oxx Miniboss) here trying to lighten the load/bulk. Switched to Ex Officio briefs a while back, now looking to upgrade from old cotton haines tank tops.

I am looking for low-cost good alternatives to Jimmy Johns, etc.

Any good ideas? Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Uniglo Airism

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men/airism-collection.

My go to undershirt under a dress shirt for SE Asia. Dries overnight in hotel. I have the V neck no seam version.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:54 am

agreed with tentseller...picked up a black and a beige (or was it white) -- I forget. for the price of 1 tshirt I think they're worth it! anyone else?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Perfect timing on this! I just started looking for this exact item in the last few weeks. Did you get the Airism Seamless or the regular shirts to layer as undershirts? Was thinking of getting a couple of the seamless in beige, and then a couple white crewnecks.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have half dozen whites in seamless as you don't what the seam showing from under your shirt. You can't even see the V neckline when wearing a shirt with a tie or open collar. +++

The wicking makes this combo extremely bearable in 80%+ *,5 35C+.

"Don't let them see you sweat! "
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I have a couple of t-shirts from Ably So far they have lived up to the hype. I alternate them (the one I'm not wearing hanging up to "rest") and gone on a 10 day trip and they still were fine with no washing.

I do have a couple of Uniqlo shirts but I am a bit long in the body (as well as long in the tooth ) and they are just short enough to be irritating.

I've also used the cotton t-shirts from 511 Tactical. They are a bit longer and however they're made I've found them to dry fairly quickly -- wash them in the morning and ready the next morning.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: 75K AS, IHG
Any weird performance fabric odors from the uniqlo airism shirts?

I used to buy their mesh undershirts in a 2 pack but seems like those are discontinued. Still my favorites and were a bargain. Fabric was a mix of cotton and performance.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:45 pm

So what's the verdict between Airism Seamless or the regular shirts?

I'll be wearing newly washed Airism undershirt tomorrow under a button down shirt at work tomorrow.....
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:40 am

I use the "Under Armor Tactical" white v-neck as a shirt. It's compression, so it keeps things under control.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. I will sample these!
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
You didn't specify that you want warm weather undershirts, so if you're looking for cool weather - consider the Uniqlo heat tech, but also merino wool. Merino can get expensive, but I have some great tees from Costco a few years back - I think long sleeve were $20 (USD) and short sleeve were $15? The ones I have are a mid-weight, so they're great for cooler weather, but not for the tropics or warm temps.

My husband has a ton of the uniqlo airism and heattech. (as a woman...) I like the heattech but the airism are a little odd on me. And the bra-inclusive versions just plain don't fit

I've not noticed any smell accumulating on the uniqlo (or merino) but it's possible he doesn't have the wear on them that would lead to the smell. I hate to encourage wastefulness/non-sustainable practices, but the uniqlo are cheap enough (esp when on sale, which they are regularly) that they can be replaced if/when they start to smell.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:23 am

I need a compression tshirt. I'll be in London and will try on the Airism shirts, but do they compress at all? I need a Ladies M or L, not sure and also I have a longer torso.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I need a compression tshirt. I'll be in London and will try on the Airism shirts, but do they compress at all?
In my experience, no. For compression, you'll need an athletic shirt or shapewear. I have a couple tops from Assets (by Spanx, at Target) but they are too compressive for me (I bought to wear under wrap tops & dresses). I have a couple tanks/camis and a short sleeve but I don't see the short sleeve now....

Just checked my drawers and I also have a Legacy shaping tee - google results show QVC so I must have bought it when there was an outlet in NC a few years ago...

http://www.qvc.com/Legacy-Slim-Disgu...t.A253544.html
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:50 am

I'm going to Grove City outlets tomorrow and I'll check out under armor and other places. I need to try these on and can't order online. I'll visit a Target as well.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I need a compression tshirt. I'll be in London and will try on the Airism shirts, but do they compress at all? I need a Ladies M or L, not sure and also I have a longer torso.
Airism are wicking fabrics which are great as undershirts for me and camis for DW in high heat and humidity environments where you need full business wear.

There is no compression like one would normally find in exercise apparels.

We prefer the Airism as undergarments for they are light and very thin. The seamless v neck for men is invisible under your shirts whether with a necktie or open collar.
I go back to my UA for working out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.