Wiki Posts
Search

The search for the right carryon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

The search for the right carryon

Hello Flyertalk!

My apologies if this has been asked multiple times before but I'm looking for some firsthand experiences with various luggage companies. As of recent, I have been buying luggage from wal-mart and discount shops only to have it fall apart within a few months. I'm in airports nearly weekly and check my bag almost every time I fly. The small regional jets make me planeside check anyway, so I just check the luggage at the front to not deal with it. Anyway, I know there are tons of options out there so I was curious to see who I should look into. Here are some of the things I am looking for:
  • Carry on Size
  • Hard shell (expandable would be nice as well)
  • Spinner style
  • Budget of $300 (though I could stretch a little)
  • Good warranty (I especially like Briggs and Riley's warranty)
  • No need for smart luggage or charging ports
  • No need to look stylish or fancy. Just plain jane luggage will be fine

Some of the brands I've been looking at but have not tried are here:
  • Away (though I do not like that I cannot get this without the charger)
  • Muji
  • Briggs and Riley
  • Victorinox
  • Samsonite
  • Tumi

Any of you guys have hands on experience with these brands lately? Or any that I missed that I should check out?

Thanks,
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
I have Tumi, Samsonite and Briggs & Riley experience, and I'd advise B&R.

For laptop bags I'd still go Tumi, but for what you are after B&R is better value, slightly better (i.e.. very high) quality and a bullet-proof warranty.

My B&R isn't hard shell. IMHO hard shell is pointless at the price point as the materials and construction are really durable and any hardshell I've used always seemed to have a lot of wasted space due to how the shell and frame were constructed.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:25 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Go cheap almost always means spend more as you buy and buy again as you are discovering.

I recently went to a Briggs Riley 21" international spinner. Well made everywhere, if there is one criticism I wish the bar was internal to get a little more storage space. I like their compression mechanism. No question my TUMI backpack is also very well built and I expect to get years and years of hard service from them both.

Luggage IMHO can be very personal, suggest you go to a high end luggage store and carefully look at them and see what is your preference. When I looked at them all the top end were well built and came down to what my specific pet peeves were; pockets, zipper compartments, etc etc
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:54 pm

Here's a suggestion

I used to travel with a backpack and a Redoxx carry on based on my business needs. But as I needed to expand and check in, I found on Amazon this set of bags at a rwasonable price and durable.

HAUPTSTADTKOFFER Luggages Sets Glossy Suitcase Sets Hardside Spinner Trolley Expandable (20", 24" & 28")

Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:58 pm

Here's a suggestion

I used to travel with a backpack and a Redoxx carry on based on my business needs. But as I needed to expand and check in, I found on Amazon this set of bags at a reasonable price and durable.

HAUPTSTADTKOFFER Luggages Sets Glossy Suitcase Sets Hardside Spinner Trolley Expandable (20", 24" & 28")

Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
weight matters

Hi OP,

I would advise you to consider the weight of each bag you are considering. After all, having a bag you have trouble lifting when fully stuffed is no fun.

Delsey and lipault have many super durable, lightweight models to choose from, though ime mostly soft-sided.

When I was in your shoes last, I chose a rimowa salsa air, which was the lightest weight hardsided bag I found.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Go cheap almost always means spend more as you buy and buy again as you are discovering.

I recently went to a Briggs Riley 21" international spinner. Well made everywhere, if there is one criticism I wish the bar was internal to get a little more storage space. I like their compression mechanism. No question my TUMI backpack is also very well built and I expect to get years and years of hard service from them both.

Luggage IMHO can be very personal, suggest you go to a high end luggage store and carefully look at them and see what is your preference. When I looked at them all the top end were well built and came down to what my specific pet peeves were; pockets, zipper compartments, etc etc

Is it true that they only send you a repair kit for damages? I really like the lifetime warranty, but if I have to fix it myself it kind of defeats the purpose.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:35 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by skittles15
Is it true that they only send you a repair kit for damages? I really like the lifetime warranty, but if I have to fix it myself it kind of defeats the purpose.
I have no personal experience. I bought mine at our local brick and mortar store and they claimed if I have any problems / repairs just bring it back and they'd take care of it.

Perhaps others with B&R can comment.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
For what you want, B&R really is the best choice. Do you REALLY need wheels, however?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by skittles15
For user replaceable parts (wheels, etc) yes.

BR is a good choice.

If you're willing to check out some 2 wheel bags, luggageworks is indestructible - it will last a lifetime and a half. And you get a loaner if you send yours in for repair (that might have been from the retailer I used though). The only downside is that it will be heavy.

Last edited by kb9522; Jun 16, 2017 at 2:05 pm
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
eBags makes their own brand hardside suitcases, very affordable with good features. Take a look at their website. I always prefer softside luggage, it's a personal preference.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Travel
Luggage Repairs

Originally Posted by chipmaster
I have no personal experience. I bought mine at our local brick and mortar store and they claimed if I have any problems / repairs just bring it back and they'd take care of it.

Perhaps others with B&R can comment.
Briggs and Riley product replacement parts are available from their website if it's something you can replace yourself ( ie, wheel,carry handle,etc) but if you bring it to a repair center,they will do it for no charge or just charge one way shipping if it's not something they can repair and has to be sent back (ie. replace main zipper,broken frames)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.