Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Seeking a great small backpack as a "personal item"/daypack.

Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:29 am
Original Poster

I've got a fun Japan tour coming up and I'm looking for a great daypack / personal item. I have a few options in my possession right now, but I don't love any of them for this use. We'll be flying on ANA in Business so I'm not sweating size or anything, just practicality.

If I fly for work and/or a domestic fun trip and I want to bring a laptop I usual my usual Daypack from DSPTCH. Very stylish, great organization. Carries a bunch of stuff, but I don't want to lug it around Tokyo all day. And I'm leaving the laptop at home.

On the other end of the size spectrum is my Jack Spade Port Case. It's pretty similar to this one in terms of size and shape. It's great for around town (assuming you don't have issues with what is clearly a man purse). Carries an iPad easily, and a small camera. I've used it as a personal item before and it works well. I'm just hoping for something a touch bigger as I was hoping to bring my Switch along.

The last option I own but don't love for this application is my The North Face Verto 26 pack. It's always great to pack away - you never know when a bag like this could come in handy. It's a great travel day pack...until you need to find something specific inside of it. There's zero organization.

So, I'm open to options. I like sleek and modern, I'm looking for small. It doesn't have to carry a laptop, but it should be able to carry a full size iPad, camera, sunglasses, etc - the kind of stuff you would carry around while touring - and be slightly organized. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
I just purchased the LLBean Stowaway Day Pack for a trip to italy/greece/cruise coming up later this summer. I had been looking for months for something very very light, packable (smushes up into its own little bag), but had lots of pockets for organization.

It's not the cheapest option out there (I found a comparable size/weight bag on amazon for half the price), but it ticked all of the boxes for what I wanted and I've always been a fan of LL Bean's quality.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:52 pm

My standard recommendation the Tom Bihn Co Pilot bag. I recommend the more sturdy ballistic nylon option rather then the more light weight halcyon material version. Here a video review demonstrating its functions:

Add the absolute shoulder strap and a cache for your iPad and you are set to go!

Not exactly cheap but definitely worth it!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:22 pm

Shop for it in Tokyo. Try Loft or Tokyu Hands. Some Japanese bags have really clever organization to rival Tom Bihn. Man day bags are also very normal there so you'll have plenty of options.

You can check out Tokyu Hands bags online https://hands.net/cate/travel/

My favorite for smart organization is "Go Nomadic" but it can look a little utilitarian http://www.nomadic.co.jp/index.html

I also like Tom Bihn bags. I own Bihn & Nomadic bags & accessories which have all held up well. Muji is great, too, for carry-ons, purse organizers, and toiletry organizers.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:33 pm

I carry an REI day pack which I tested in the store. The pack is lightweight and has the option of adding a Camelbak.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I am using two day packs. One is the Bach Itsy Bitsy , this is foldable and ridiculously lightweight.

The other is my personal item when flying, it's a Red Oxx CPA. But, I asked Red Oxx to add two D rings and I have the Think Tank Backpack Conversion Straps which convert it, surprise, to a backpack.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkyForce6
My standard recommendation the Tom Bihn Co Pilot bag. I recommend the more sturdy ballistic nylon option rather then the more light weight halcyon material version. Here a video review demonstrating its functions:

Tom Bihn Co-Pilot - YouTube

Add the absolute shoulder strap and a cache for your iPad and you are set to go!

Not exactly cheap but definitely worth it!
Might do that without the cache. The cache is just a padded sleeve I have a Timbuk2 iPad sleeve already.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
Tom Bihn also makes a great backpack called the Synapse. It comes in 2 sizes- 19 liters and 25 liters. I have the larger size and it is very practical, functional and durable.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:10 am

Looks like you are looking for a higher end one, but I bought this one and it is a really good looking minimalist daypack:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FX3QZCK/

I don't know how long it would last but at $20 shipped I could keep replacing it. it is very light and comfortable too. It is big enough to carry a 13" macbook but nothing bigger than that.

Also there is no straps hanging at the bottom of the backpack on this one. I don't know why but that makes me happy. LOL.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Kifaru makes great packs. The E&E is small and very customizable. I use several interior mounted pouches, and the organizer on the outside. Sometimes I will also use the nalgene holder on the side, but then it becomes too wide to fit under the seat in front of me. Definitely get the xray straps, that is a must.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
If you're okay with the sporty look vs. the luggage/dressed up look:

The old (unfortunately discontinued) Arcteryx Blade 21 has been around the world with me and I wouldn't part with it for anything. You see new old stock pop up on eBay from time to time. Telling point: I have friends that work at Arcteryx that all seem to still favor and use this bag.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Arcteryx-Blade-21-Black-Laptop-Nylon-Backpack-Arcteryx-/302334819882?hash=item46648f3e2a%3Ag%3A154AAOSwlMF ZLztf&_trkparms=pageci%253A52a867a2-4fc1-11e7-8c38-74dbd180fbca%257Cparentrq%253A9e7ef3e915c0a993ebcd ffb9fff7d02f%257Ciid%253A2

Their super high line Veilance pack is similar and worth checking out. Arc does a lot of very minimal stuff that keeps weight and fluffiness down but still feels comfy. I've got a few Arcteryx bags that I love for different purposes.

The Osprey Comet is a pretty darn useful small pack as well. I wound up upsizing and getting the Ozone 46 (their biggest "bookbag" style). But for the size you're looking for, the Comet has a lot of those great features in a smaller size. There's also a women's fit version of the Comet.

https://www.ospreypacks.com/ec/en/product/comet-COMETNEW.html
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
The old (unfortunately discontinued) Arcteryx Blade 21 has been around the world with me and I wouldn't part with it for anything.
That was one of my first ideas. My sadness when I figured out it was no longer made was profound.

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Their super high line Veilance pack is similar and worth checking out. Arc does a lot of very minimal stuff that keeps weight and fluffiness down but still feels comfy. I've got a few Arcteryx bags that I love for different purposes.
Will check. Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: Platinum
I have the Tom Bihn CoPilot and like it. How about a Montbell daypack? https://www.montbell.us/products/dis...1&p_id=1123909
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
This is my breakout daypack, and I am very happy with it. When in the bag it is about half the size of my fist. My key ring weighs more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GadgetFreak likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:56 am

Osprey Ozone 35 has worked for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.