Wiki Posts
Search

Maximum carry-on capacity

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Ritz/Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Maximum carry-on capacity

I am looking to get a bag that offers be the most internal space but fit within US Airline carryon sizes - 22/14/9. I don't travel that often - may 5 times a year but when I do I usually pack a suit or a sport coat. I am looking for something professional, but stylish and modern.

I fold my suits/coats but am concerned about making sure the garments fit well in the carry on.

I recently saw an Aer Travelpack and thought that might be an interesting change to a standard wheelie. I also love the Filson Pullman and duffles but I am not sure how a suit would hold up in them since they have minimal structure.

Rimowas look great, but I'd like to stay under $400 if I can. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks
Old May 8, 2017, 10:37 am

if you are ok with a backpack...look for an osprey 46, similar to this https://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/pr...-PORTER46.html has gotten good reviews....I have one that was on a trip with the routing: IAD/ICN/NRT/MNL and back.

Got looks from 1 or 2 gate lices (sp) but never was asked to check it in. The key is not to have it over stuffed...and it'll fit with no problems.

GL.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:25 am

Look at the Tom Bihn Aeronaut 45. You have different options on how to carry it and are thus not stuck with backpack straps exposed all the time. Whatever you get you will want a soft bag, IMHO, as this allows you to squeeze in a bit more for those times that you need to. Additionally, with a soft bag, you have a better chance of getting it into the overhead bin and not thus forced to check it because it doesn't fit.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by 1holegrouper
Look at the Tom Bihn Aeronaut 45. You have different options on how to carry it and are thus not stuck with backpack straps exposed all the time. Whatever you get you will want a soft bag, IMHO, as this allows you to squeeze in a bit more for those times that you need to. Additionally, with a soft bag, you have a better chance of getting it into the overhead bin and not thus forced to check it because it doesn't fit.
Thanks. I have been looking at the Aeronaut 45 and my only concern was getting a properly folded suit coat in there. The only other bag that caught my eye is the Patagonia MLC, but it doesn't look professional enough.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan
if you are ok with a backpack...look for an osprey 46, similar to this https://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/pr...-PORTER46.html has gotten good reviews....I have one that was on a trip with the routing: IAD/ICN/NRT/MNL and back.

Got looks from 1 or 2 gate lices (sp) but never was asked to check it in. The key is not to have it over stuffed...and it'll fit with no problems.

GL.
Thanks. I checked it out. Looks like a phenomenal bag, but it is too sporty for my needs.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
You might try searching over at forums.tombihn.com for threads on packing suits in the Aeronaut. I think the consensus tends to be that the Western Flyer and Tri-Star are easier for that sort of thing, but there are certainly kind souls over there who will have advice.

At any rate, I'm a happy Aeronaut user (if not a suit wearer, although I get women's formalwear into it without issue), and I prefer the build quality and layout of it to the Patagonia MLC.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:10 pm

You could also get a wheeled bag and a backpack if they're both within budget. There are times when wheels are useful (good for heavy contents, over well paved concrete) vs soft sided max size (good for small bins, public transit, uneven ground, tight connections if not too far). I'm almost always a carry-on and personal item traveler but the actual bags depend on the travel situation and terrain.

Since the requirements provided are for aesthetics, fits coats, and max carry on size, I suggest browsing carryology.com to compile a list of actual features/utility to narrow it down a little.

Thoughts and options for carry-on backpack
http://www.carryology.com/travel/the...ne-bag-travel/

Here are this year's finalists for best carry on
http://www.carryology.com/best-carry...-carry-awards/

Backpack/Duffel vs Wheeled is a personal choice and travel comfort can vary greatly based on physical health, strength, and terrain. If you like duffels, I'd guess that you know how heavy a weekender can get with a few pairs of shoes, clothing, and toiletries, much less electronics. Practice pack something close to MLC size, stand and shuffle around for 40 min simulating waiting through lines, lift it over head and side to side a few times, and then determine if you want your max carry on size bag to be wheeled or not. You might also find you like backpacks but want to pack only 30-35L of contents instead of 40-45L and can scale down or look for something with internal tie-downs.

Last edited by freecia; May 9, 2017 at 4:15 pm
Old May 9, 2017, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
You could also get a wheeled bag and a backpack if they're both within budget. There are times when wheels are useful (good for heavy contents, over well paved concrete) vs soft sided max size (good for small bins, public transit, uneven ground, tight connections if not too far). I'm almost always a carry-on and personal item traveler but the actual bags depend on the travel situation and terrain.

Since the requirements provided are for aesthetics, fits coats, and max carry on size, I suggest browsing carryology.com to compile a list of actual features/utility to narrow it down a little.

Thoughts and options for carry-on backpack
http://www.carryology.com/travel/the...ne-bag-travel/

Here are this year's finalists for best carry on

Backpack/Duffel vs Wheeled is a personal choice and travel comfort can vary greatly based on physical health, strength, and terrain. If you like duffels, I'd guess that you know how heavy a weekender can get with a few pairs of shoes, clothing, and toiletries, much less electronics. Practice pack something close to MLC size, stand and shuffle around for 40 min simulating waiting through lines, lift it over head and side to side a few times, and then determine if you want your max carry on size bag to be wheeled or not. You might also find you like backpacks but want to pack only 30-35L of contents instead of 40-45L and can scale down or look for something with internal tie-downs.
Thank you for the thorough response. Looking at carryology got me thinking about the issue more and I wanted to get feedback from others. I have a Travelpro Crew 8 collection now along with a filson medium duffle. It seems to me that the Travelpro has a lot of wasted space for the dimensions, that caused me to think that a duffle type bag (or the Aeronaut) might be more efficient since I wouldn't have the wheels and stuff taking up space.

I like the look of the Aer travel pack (backpack but it doesn't look like one) but I was concerned that it was too small.
Old May 9, 2017, 5:57 pm

A wide packing cube like M/L from muji and a few plastic stiffeners (like inexpensive flexible cutting boards) might help with preventing folded suits from slumping and wrinkling in duffels. Or put a bundle packed set in them to keep it in a specific shape.
http://www.muji.us/store/special-the...tion-case.html
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/u...uctid=10363478

Eagle Creek does something similar with their shirt folders and garment sleeves. I used to use the shirt folder but it always ends up an odd shape (probably overpacked) instead of a "cube" so it was hard to maximize space in a rectangular suitcase.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I had no problems with the Eagle Creek shirt folder. Also: Red Oxx Sky Train. Disclaimer: I am very biased towards that bag because it's customized. But Red Oxx bags, customized or not are built like a tank.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by turnleftbrighteyes
You might try searching over at forums.tombihn.com for threads on packing suits in the Aeronaut. I think the consensus tends to be that the Western Flyer and Tri-Star are easier for that sort of thing, but there are certainly kind souls over there who will have advice.

At any rate, I'm a happy Aeronaut user (if not a suit wearer, although I get women's formalwear into it without issue), and I prefer the build quality and layout of it to the Patagonia MLC.

Tristar (33L) and Western Flyer (26L) will work though they are definitely less than the max carry on capacity and size. I have a WF and had a TS and both of them and can easily fit suit coat folded in them. Assuming they have sufficient space for you and you are fine with the carry vs non-roller bag, they are good choices. The ballistic nylon options look more professional IMHO. I can do 1-2 nights travel easily with a suit and only use those bags.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:09 am

made it from jfk to bcn back to ewr without any problems. my hand carry was a messenger bag type of thing and a backpack which had no problems/questions when I was boarding the plane.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Short follow up, I found a deal on an Alchemy AEL008 - which was in my mind, close to the ideal bag. It was slight smaller in external size to my wife's Vapor lite international carry-on. The Alchemy claims to have significantly more volume - and it may - by the layout of the top pocket - big cavernous area with a ridiculously small zipper opening makes it only good for small items - socks, underwear, cables. So I returned it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.