Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Packing Cubes, any suggestions?

Old May 1, 2017, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking for a few good cubes. Carryon B&R International wide, so I'm looking for the lightest weight cube available. I have a set of Sharper Image and not happy with them.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
I really like my cubes from muji. The nylon is very light and strong, which makes it easy to stuff. Most importantly, the zippers are smooth and strong.

I also have some cubes from miniso but the zippers are a pain.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I have the Amazon Basics set and it's fine.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
Amazon basics size small
Old May 1, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
I'm using some Eagle Creek Pack-It Original and never had a problem with them.

Their Pack-It Specter is supposed to be lightweight but I have never tried those.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Enthilza

Their Pack-It Specter is supposed to be lightweight but I have never tried those.
I have a Specter set and like them a lot. They really are light and so far I've not had any problems with zippers in the couple of years I've had them.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by TPACjv
I really like my cubes from muji. The nylon is very light and strong, which makes it easy to stuff. Most importantly, the zippers are smooth and strong.

I also have some cubes from miniso but the zippers are a pain.
Prior eBag fan, have slowly been switching to muji, less weight and thinner
Old May 2, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Poster

I found a travel store (Landmark Luggage) at Eton Chagrin Blvd in Woodmere (Beachwood area) that sells all sorts of packing cubes and high end luggage. I'll go there this weekend. Plus, it's near the Apple Store and Orvis.
Old May 2, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amazon basic in medium, I find they work for pretty much all clothing, aside from ski/heavy winter stuff. I happen to have just packed a case, so for example I have 3 skirts, 3 pairs of trousers in one, 6 vest tops, 4 long sleeve tops and 2 t-shirts in another and they are not straining at the seams. If you are a man, Eddie Bauer and similar make shirt folders which are a great way of folding and carrying up to 7 or 8 dress shirts with no movement - the cubes do move around a bit.
Old May 2, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Enthilza
Same here ^
Old May 2, 2017, 7:40 pm

The Amazon basics aren't as nice as the eagle creek regular ones, but they are better priced and of a good enough quality. I really wish Amazon had a mini cube or something that was about half the size of the small ones. If you have a little more money to spend, the Eagle Creek specter line is impossibly light but do feel durable enough.

However, for collared shirts and any dress pants, I prefer my eagle creek garment folder that I have, especially in duffel bags because that item provides some great structure to the bag. Can fit a number of shirts in there along with pants that will stay wrinkle free (or have very little wrinkles). I recently got a small to go along with my Medium for short trips or if I am taking a longer vacation and have both a checked bag and a carry on.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Texas_Flyer
However, for collared shirts and any dress pants, I prefer my eagle creek garment folder that I have, especially in duffel bags because that item provides some great structure to the bag. Can fit a number of shirts in there along with pants that will stay wrinkle free (or have very little wrinkles). I recently got a small to go along with my Medium for short trips or if I am taking a longer vacation and have both a checked bag and a carry on.
I have a Specter version of the garment folder. Works great!
Old May 2, 2017, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I'm looking for a few good cubes. Carryon B&R International wide, so I'm looking for the lightest weight cube available. I have a set of Sharper Image and not happy with them.
Sharper image packing cubes are ebag's look a likes except of inferior quality. They have a tendency to unravel at the seams due to poor stitching. Is this why you are unhappy with them? Or is it because they are the wrong size? Or perhaps another reason?

My general recommendation if you are looking for maximum light weight is to go for either the Eagle Creek Pack It Specter ones or the new eBags Ultralight packing cubes: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/u...uctid=10408193

The eBags Ultralights not only look great but also have a unique spring loaded frame making them maintain their shape when packing them which makes packing easier and also they look great.

My recommendations above are for carry on sized bags for full size larger checked bags I recommend these Travelon ones: http://www.ebags.com/product/travelo...uctid=10359810 http://www.ebags.com/product/travelo...uctid=10359948 These are the best ones for use in larger checked bags. The best ones I have tried for my needs!
Old May 3, 2017, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

The Sharper Image are heavy, but sturdy. I want something very lightweight. I like the Eagle Creek pack where it holds numerous shirts, looks like an envelope. I'm using a B&R wide body international carryon and a B&R backpack for my CPAP and electronics: iPad mini, Nikon S9700 Coolpix, cords, chargers, plug adapter, etc. I've taken advice from the Women's forum here about wardrobe, packing, my 311 bag. It's been very helpful. It seems every trip I take way too much.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
... It seems every trip I take way too much.
It is mastering this bit that takes the time and effort, but the reward is worth it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.