Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Pants for Travel - Recommendations Needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Kühl has good cargo pants (...) And they are convertible to shorts.
Last time I saw that kind of pants was in some TV ad back in the 90s. It wasn't fashionable back then, it still isn't today.

When it comes to comfort during travel (and I mean while at the airport/in the airplane) why do you need 6-8 pockets? When going through security, those are the travelers I hate the most: 1-2 bags, jacket, vest, scarf, trolley, cargo pants with anything from 6 to 8 pockets, all with stuff in it and they only remember to empty it after the machine beeps to exhaustion. And then waiting for them to put all that stuff back in their half a dozen pockets while my bag is stuck in the belt. Please, don't be that traveler!
And then once in the airplane, they empty these pockets into their bag, because sitting/laying on filled pockets is not comfortable in any flight exceeding 2 hours.

People are allowed a trolley and a "personal bag", put your stuff in it, empty your pockets into your bag while waiting in line through security, there are only so many items you could possibly need at ALL times while you're stuck inside a plane.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: Platinum
I have a pair of REI pants (Adventure) which have hidden zipped pockets and don't look like cargo pants. There are other pants by Mountain Hardware, Marmot, Royal Robbins and Columbia that may fit your need. The ones with 4 way stretch is nice on a long plane ride.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:30 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by mevr
Last time I saw that kind of pants was in some TV ad back in the 90s. It wasn't fashionable back then, it still isn't today.

When it comes to comfort during travel (and I mean while at the airport/in the airplane) why do you need 6-8 pockets? When going through security, those are the travelers I hate the most: 1-2 bags, jacket, vest, scarf, trolley, cargo pants with anything from 6 to 8 pockets, all with stuff in it and they only remember to empty it after the machine beeps to exhaustion. And then waiting for them to put all that stuff back in their half a dozen pockets while my bag is stuck in the belt. Please, don't be that traveler!
And then once in the airplane, they empty these pockets into their bag, because sitting/laying on filled pockets is not comfortable in any flight exceeding 2 hours.

People are allowed a trolley and a "personal bag", put your stuff in it, empty your pockets into your bag while waiting in line through security, there are only so many items you could possibly need at ALL times while you're stuck inside a plane.
+10

I can't imagine what I would rather have in cargo pockets than in a small personal bag. Digging stuff out of them for security will not only make you hold up the line, but I can't imagine it's a relaxing experience for yourself.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I love my Bluffworks pants. Have used them for travel (Italy, San Antonio, NYC, SoCal, etc. - very comfortable on flights, too), work (pairs well with blazer), play (running around yard and biking with the kids), casual (sneakers, t-shirt), formal (blazer, dress shirt/shoes). They have become one of my go-to pants.

Wicks moisture very well for those hot days and keeps you pretty cool. And they are pretty wrinkle-free.

Love the zippered security pockets (both front pockets have "regular" and hidden zippered pockets; one back pocket is zippered).

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ggestions.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...y-pockets.html
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Forget about pants - when travelling on United, my personal preference are leggings.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I have heard good thinks about Bluffworks pants, but haven't tried them myself.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Another vote for the UBtech travel pants from Costco. They are slim line and have only one discrete cargo on the right thigh. They are flattering for my short frame.

I just wore a new, gray pair for eight days of travel . Eight days! They are stain and water resistant and didn't pick up odors so what the heck. And, so comfortable with a touch of spandex that I wear them at home.

My goal is to have two pairs in all three colors at $19.99 but my local Costco is out. Amazon carries them at a reasonable mark up. MY GF says they are similar to $100 Eddie Bauer product.

No other bells and whistles like hidden pockets or convertible shorts. My only gripe is the right hip pocket (slash pockets no zipper) would shed a few coins when seated in the tiny rental car we had.

Jim
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by jimquan
Another vote for the UBtech travel pants from Costco. They are slim line and have only one discrete cargo on the right thigh. They are flattering for my short frame.

These are awesome pants! Inexpensive, and comfortable. They had a stretch waistband version recently, I should have picked it up.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
My go to recently has been UnderArmour's performance pants. Stretchy waist and the use of standard UnderArmour-type material makes them very comfortable to wear over long periods of time (and with the natural expansion and retraction of the body when flying)
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
I have heard good thinks about Bluffworks pants, but haven't tried them myself.
I have a pair of the original regular fit khakis. Light, comfortable, but a bit too formal looking, in my opinion; they have a slight woven texture that's seen in dress pants. I love the hidden zippered pockets though. Never tried the chinos; they look more casual, but reviews say that they make a "swishing" noise when walking, like corduroys.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Too much travel
Forget about pants - when travelling on United, my personal preference are leggings.

I'll try and checkout Costco for the UBtech pants as well.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Some interesting recommendations here (currently looking at Prana's products, I had never heard of them), thanks for sharing those.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
If you're looking for shorts, Costco also had online (and still has in some stores) a really nice option - Gerry slim with stretch, pockets. Looks like Amazon offers (they were $14.99 at Costco). I got them in all colors offered - they're a decent compromise between what my husband would like and what I would prefer

https://www.amazon.com/Gerry-Short-S.../dp/B01BE22CIU
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
+1 for the Kuhl pants... I actually bought a couple pairs from a recommendation somewhere here on FT.

http://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/pants/renegade-pant/

I love these pants... super soft and comfortable...
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by el aye
The Brion look nice, I may have to pick some up (looks like it would qualify for the 20% off at REI going on right now as well, nice). Thank you.
And thank YOU.
For the REI sale tip. Heading over today.
(The Brions are cut slim, have the feel of a travel pant, but the look of business casual).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.