Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Is it impossible to get a solid carry on under $100?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it impossible to get a solid carry on under $100?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Before you buy check the maximum dimensions for all the airlines you're likely to fly. European airlines are more size and weight restrictive. If you buy online make sure the dimensions specified include the wheels and "feet." Another decent brand that might meet your cost target would the French brand Delsey.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
Man that Costco carry on is exactly what I need sadly no Costco in my area :/
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Man that Costco carry on is exactly what I need sadly no Costco in my area :/
You can order online, but probably not to Paris. Maybe on your next trip to the US.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really like the Delsey cabin roller bags I have had, I am on my third, and whilst it is a slightly older model, it is still going strong (the last one I replaced with a lighter option, but I still use it when weight is not an issue - e.g. car trips).

If I was buying a new one today, I would likely go for this one http://www.delsey.com/int/en/p/dauph...224980122.html

The price varies a lot though - in the UK, the John Lewis' price for this is £115 (US$142) but it is on sale at my local store in Canada for $90 Canadian (£54 / US$67). My British parents always buy luggage when they visit me in Canada, they think it is far far cheaper here. So if you have a trip to North America coming up, it might be worth holding off and buying here.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:48 pm

Got a real nice Travel Pro Crew today at the thrift store in Carmel for 12$
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Not sure how so many destroy their bags so quickly. I have, now retired(needed larger size), a standard sized Dakine roller bag. It's not rigid but still your standard rectangle with wheels and handle. 3yrs and about 350K air miles. 95% of the time it was checked with my clothes and I carried on my camera gear and backpack. It wasn't anywhere near 100 dollars. It's been to Asia and all over the US.

I now have a 130 dollar Ogio larger bag. It is 1.5 yrs old and has about 140K miles. Again it is still in 100% working order.

Not sure what happens to bags that the 'need' to spend way more money for durability comes from.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by timfountain
Well, there are plenty of people, me included, who get bored with luggage after a while, so longevity is not the #1 priority.....
That description fits many here on FT. I like variety and I like to have exactly the right item(s) for different trips. What you need to take on a 2-night Amtrak ride to the east coast is different from what you would fly there with. Then there are 5-week trips to the Middle East and Europe, or 3 weeks in SE Asia. How about a 2-week cruise? Then there are those of us who just like luggage and have a lot of it (guilty as charged.) This has been an interesting discussion.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Dianne47
That description fits many here on FT. I like variety and I like to have exactly the right item(s) for different trips. What you need to take on a 2-night Amtrak ride to the east coast is different from what you would fly there with. Then there are 5-week trips to the Middle East and Europe, or 3 weeks in SE Asia. How about a 2-week cruise? Then there are those of us who just like luggage and have a lot of it (guilty as charged.) This has been an interesting discussion.
Guilty as charged. I find that there's a perfect bag or piece of luggage for every occasion. And shop accordingly.
Although I'm faithful to a couple of items, including my now-retired Costco carry on which traveled more airmiles than most people on the planet. Sadly they no longer make it. Instead they have adopted the obnoxious spinner wheels which I refuse to have.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by qmiro
Guilty as charged. I find that there's a perfect bag or piece of luggage for every occasion. And shop accordingly.
Absolutely! But I've reached the stage where husband says I can't fit more into the storage room (he's almost but not quite as bad - I admit I have more bags at this point....) So I have to adapt and have the 'best' for me for a few different scenarios.....

None of mine are super high end, but I don't buy cheapie cheaps any more either. The ones I use most often are B&R and Eagle Creek. I've definitely eyed the ebags TLS motherlode but the one I like best would be a replacement for my favorite EC, which isn't being made (at the moment....) But since I don't *need* a replacement.....

Unless I come across an unbeatable deal. Right?
Old May 19, 2017, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
But since I don't *need* a replacement.....

Unless I come across an unbeatable deal. Right?
Totally guilty of a luggage wardrobe/hoarding.

I might have two generations of Eagle Creek Load Warriors because the new one was on a super super deal (speaking of, Eagle Creek and REI have sales going on right now). I also have an Eagle Creek Wheeled Tote prototype/one-off when someone on FT pointed out an awesome sale had come back.

I'm sure you have nested your bags, right?
Old May 19, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by freecia
I'm sure you have nested your bags, right?
I could (I do with totes & duffels) but if I hide too much, I won't use, so I keep the wheeled bags in a row....
Old May 21, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Another +1 on the Costco Kirkland Signature. I have the newer 21.5" version that fits most overhead bins (I've been flying primarily Delta MD88s, A320s, and 737-900s) except for row 1 on a 737.

My big complaint about the bag is weight- by the time I add clothes, I'm oftentimes over 30 lbs. This could be a concern if your airline weighs your bag at the gate (as I've heard some East Asian carriers do).

But I've carried this bag on and checked it weekly for the past 18 months and love it. For about $100, it's really impossible to beat.

No experience with the 4 wheel version currently on the market (the 2 wheel version appears to have disappeared), though.

Right now if you need both checked and carry on luggage, I've found this Samsonite set to be a great deal from Costco, even at its regular price of $160: https://www.costco.com/Samsonite-Ult...100319959.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.