Wiki Posts
Search

A peacoat that is both insulated and water proof or resistant

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

A peacoat that is both insulated and water proof or resistant

Hi,
do they make formal mens peacoats that are water proof (or resistant) as well as suitable
for winter wear (wool/down/etc. lining)

I'm specifically looking for a well tailored (preferably European fit) peacoat and not a long overcoat. I've been googling for a week to no avail.

thanks

Last edited by arjunrc; Feb 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Nice waterproof coats do exist but are so hard to find! We found my husband a nice goretex coat on Sierra Trading Post years ago, sadly I cannot remember the brand - I'll try to look it up at home. STP hasn't had anything like it in a while You could also try looking for "schoeller" fabric coats - they tend to be very nice. You haven't mentioned your budget, so.... [husband has some schoeller fabric pants - very nice & so waterproof!]

[I know this isn't a peacoat - but it's not a long overcoat either, so.... :-)]
Attached Images  
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:52 am

There's Outlier's Liberated peacoat or dufflecoat, as well as Bonobos' Foundation peacoat.

You'll have to find one on the secondary market, but Loro Piana did a peacoat last season, and if you want a hardshell version, Visvim did a Gore-tex Lieutenant coat some years back.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both.

The goretex coat looks good, Hoyaheel. I suspect it will look like a long coat on me, though.

The Outlier stuff looks good - says they are out of stock but I'll call them tomorrow

On the Bonobos Foundation, I talked to the customer agent. The conversation went like this:

Me: "Is it water proof?"
Bo: "No"

Me: "Is it weather resistant?"
Bo: "No, but you can walk in snow and stuff" (sic)

Me: "Define stuff. I am particularly concerned about rain"
Bo: "I can tell you its not waterproof, but you will be fine. Its wool"

Not very encouraging :-(
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:39 pm

If you're flexible on other styles, Veilance's Monitor down coat or Node down jacket would also fit the bill. Otherwise, Schott's melton wool pea coats meet your requirements.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:59 pm

Husband's coat is Amadeus, but he says he hasn't been able to find that brand online.

I googled schoeller fabric and found some options at Mission Works that look short
https://missionworkshop.com/products...l-field-jacket
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:40 am
Original Poster

thank you, edcaya and hoyaheel:

Edcaya: The arcteryx veilance is very nice. I actually tried it on last year at an Arcteryx store in DC - I did not think it was meant to be worn on top of a suit, but I suppose it can if I take a slightly larger size. You are correct about it being different - its not quite 'traditional' and I'll probably need to try it on a few times to make sure its the look I want (given its price tag, but then again, I love my atom AR and their quality is unforgiving)

Hoyaheel - the mission workshop jacket looks superb - I'll call them/email them - given its half the price of the veilance and still looks sharp (and traditional) is an option.

Thank you.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:53 am

I got the Schoeller fabric recommendation on this board (when looking for waterproof trousers) a few years back, this is such a knowledgeable community!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.