Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop bag is becoming obsolete, I think

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UAL, JetBlue
Laptop bag is becoming obsolete, I think

I was looking for a new laptop bag as my old one had gotten a bit ratty... There are hundreds of choices out there, fitting every price range imaginable. However, as I was looking I got to thinking...

Maybe I don't need a dedicated laptop bag! Perhaps I should get a nice sized shoulder carry-on that expands, or has a modest profile while still providing ample room to pack items. But what about all the useful pockets and compartments usually afforded in a dedicated laptop bag? I realized I could do without that now.

I have a nice lightly padded laptop sleeve/case with handles that can slip inside a weekender bag. It even has a single zipped side pocket, that I can organize the contents with a small Grid-It. Works like a charm. And a nice ziplock bag to catch any of the "little things" like paper clips, mini SD card adapters, etc.

In doing this I was able to replace my aging laptop bag with a well made and stylish Victorinox Tourbach 2.0 shoulder bag. It has two nice rectangular compartments where I can pack clothes or opt to carry a laptop. And two dedicated external zipper pockets for various odds/ends, as well as a slim zippered compartment for magazines, papers, etc. Thus, it's a dual purpose bag. When not being used for air travel, it's suitable as a laptop briefcase, just about 1.5" wider and taller than my original laptop case. Not too much to become unwieldy. What's also great is that one compartment could be dedicated to my laptop, while the other could carry some clothing items as an "overflow" from my wheeled carry-on.

Just something to consider if you're in the market for a new laptop bag.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I haven't seen a separate laptop bag in a very long time. With small laptops / tablets / hybrids the norm for travelers and those fitting in a sleeve in a standard briefcase, backpack, messenger bag or other carry-on, there does not seem to be a purpose any longer. With Pre-Check, the so-called "TSA compliant" laptop case is also a dodo bird, so why bother with the separate item when the goal of walking into a meeting is to carry less?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UAL, JetBlue
^ I don't travel all that much, but I still see plenty of laptop bags for sale... so I wasn't aware of how obsolete the laptop bag has become. I had to say, I did notice some people traveling with them on my last few flights. But not many. A lot of people are getting away with iPad devices and a slim notepad like Macbook Air, so I imagine they're being tucked into other luggage, wherever they can fit.

But for those of us who do need to travel with a full fledged computing device, i.e. the laptop, there are all of the accessories that go with it. Plus... the laptop bag has its nice features of many little sleeves, pockets, and compartments to put things in. My laptop bag was becoming a bit of a "junk drawer"; when I unloaded it I was amazed at how much I accumulated inside it.

I do like to walk into a meeting with a notepad and writing instruments, because of the versatility in handwritten notes, especially for a small meeting where having an open laptop can come off a bit rude when someone is presenting.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Voicemint

Maybe I don't need a dedicated laptop bag
Your first instinct is correct, notebooks are slimmer than ever and even their power supplies are reduced in size, there is no reason for most to have a dedicated notebook carrier any longer.

Similarly, the trend now for all backpacks, messenger bags, tote bags, and briefcases is to include a padded compartment specifically for one's laptop, so you get the best of both worlds in one purchase, you don't need to carry two things.

I'm a backpack guy (black nylon, executive look) and mine is from Incase and comes with the aforementioned padded compartment and has plenty of pockets for my mouse, power supply, cables, thumb drive, etc. It's great for daily use for typical business things like pens and papers and folders, no compromises, just has a dedicated space for a computer that's padded for protection.

On certain trips I forgo the backpack entirely and only bring a rolling carry-on, and for those times I have a neoprene sleeve to protect the notebook, slide it into a front pocket on the carry-on. The neoprene sleeve is great for hotel room safe's, keeps it from getting dinged and scratched.

So....no laptop bag. Get a backpack/messenger/tote bag (whichever suits you) with a padded compartment and then get a neoprene sleeve for those times you need no secondary bag and that's that.

BJ
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
My laptop bag has gathered dust since acquiring a Briggs and Riley Expandable Cabin Bag.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/baseline...cabin-bag-231x
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by boltjames
On certain trips I forgo the backpack entirely and only bring a rolling carry-on, and for those times I have a neoprene sleeve to protect the notebook, slide it into a front pocket on the carry-on. The neoprene sleeve is great for hotel room safe's, keeps it from getting dinged and scratched.
I do this too, just wish the back of the front pocket in my carry on was bit more heavy duty that it is
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:25 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Places I go are often too humid and/or lacking even satisfactory sidewalks. Laptop bags are good not just for computers (or, perhaps not for computers at all); actually, I use them a lot for weekend trips.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:24 pm

Both the Briggs & Riley and the Victorinox mentioned are sitting at near the top of carry on personal item bag requirements. A bit much to carry into a meeting. I'm currently looking for a smaller solution for my MacBook Air. I have a Thule Sleeve and a Neoprene Sleeve too. Can't shove a power supply and cords without it bulging. Was looking at this: Thule Stravan 13" MacBook Deluxe Attache. BTW, the Neoprene Sleeve worked when I dropped it on a tile floor. The laptop aluminum received a corner dent but no screen damage and it continues to work perfectly.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:19 am

I've got an
Incase Nylon Sling Sleeve Incase Nylon Sling Sleeve
(not the Deluxe model, which has less pockets for some reason) for my 11" MacBook Air and Surface Pro 3. It's got great organization, plenty of protection, and having a detachable shoulder strap means I can use it as a slim brief instead of carrying my full loadout.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:58 pm

I ended up with the Thule Subterra MacBook Pro Attache. It was on sale for $43. Not as big as the Briggs & Riley but still a good size: 3.9 x 15.2 x 10.6 in
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:52 am

I got a tomtoc sleeve and a backpack for my MacBook and daily, it's good match
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KHJ09GS
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5LLICK
Great quality, size and looking!

Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:26 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
And I'm looking for something less laptopbag-esque.

I am in a similar boat to the OP - my existing laptop bag (a Targus something) is getting ratty and I need a replacement... but I don't really want a 'laptop bag'. Ideally I'd want something that I can use with a roller for weeklong trips, but that's big enough to fit laptop/charger/change of clothes/toiletries for an overnighter. And that isn't plain black.

I have seen some nice crumpler bags and quite like the idea of a less-formal, more messenger style shoulder bag, but I'd want some level of organisation inside (so at the least a separate pocket for the laptop in the main compartment, or two inner compartments) plus an outside pocket ideally with some smaller inside pockets, and a slipthrough on the back to go onto a roller handle. And a shoulder strap. And in nylon rather than leather for weight, and not plain black. But not crazy colours either, just maybe some nice contrast piping or something. Budget up to say $100-150 [but UK purchase]

Any suggestions?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:29 pm
DNA

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
I am in a similar boat to the OP - my existing laptop bag (a Targus something) is getting ratty and I need a replacement... but I don't really want a 'laptop bag'. Ideally I'd want something that I can use with a roller for weeklong trips, but that's big enough to fit laptop/charger/change of clothes/toiletries for an overnighter. And that isn't plain black.

I have seen some nice crumpler bags and quite like the idea of a less-formal, more messenger style shoulder bag, but I'd want some level of organisation inside (so at the least a separate pocket for the laptop in the main compartment, or two inner compartments) plus an outside pocket ideally with some smaller inside pockets, and a slipthrough on the back to go onto a roller handle. And a shoulder strap. And in nylon rather than leather for weight, and not plain black. But not crazy colours either, just maybe some nice contrast piping or something. Budget up to say $100-150 [but UK purchase]

Any suggestions?
I have Ebags Motherlode and an older MEC Shuttle. They work well for 3-4 day trips. Would also consider Patagonia MLC.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:40 pm

I use a Goruck Echo for every day travel, and a Goruck GR1 for traveling overnight. Both have a great padded compartment that fits my MacBook Air in a foam cover for additional protection.

SEE: www.goruck.com
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I agree with the general premise. I don't think I've used a dedicated laptop bag for ages. Heck, I don't even travel with a laptop anymore, just a tablet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.