Search

need a one bag solution

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
need a one bag solution

This week I checked my 22" rolling bag with DL because I am sick of playing the OHB space game and having to board 45 minutes before departure to be sure I get a spot within 3 rows of my seat.

Predictably, on segment 3 of 4, I got separated from my bag due to a cancelation. I am now going on 36 hours at my destination without luggage and all my stuff was in there.

I need a one bag solution that will carry a laptop, charging cables, bose headset, some files, and a change of clothes or two along with basic toiletries and other stuff. I love my Timbuk2 messenger but it isn't cut out for that kind of packing.

If I can find the right back I will continue to check my roller bag and be able to live with being separated from it for 24-48 hours since I will at least be able to carry some basics with me.

Budget - $150 or less USD
Prefer something without wheels, messenger bag style...backpack style 2nd preference. Needs to be able to fit under all mainline a/c seats in a pinch.

Go.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:09 pm

http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/pro...TER30_302.html
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS MVPG, WN CP
I was able to pick this one up in black for $90 from Timbuk2 on a sale they had a while ago. Looks like they have the blue ripstop material one on sale right now for $79, which is probably even a little lighter weight than the others. It has been absolutely perfect so far.

Able to fit a laptop (padded area along back), my Bose headphones, other tech gadgets, toiletries, and clothes for 3 - 4 days, with room to spare. Lightweight and fits under the seat in front. People on the rental car shuttle couldn't believe it was my only bag for a 4 day trip, but if you pack well, it gets you through no problem.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:12 am

Check out the Eagle Creek Adventure Weekender at $159 list.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:39 am

Check these

I have a similar need and went for a Briggs and Riley Cabin Bag from the Kinzie collection

People swear by Red Oxx Mini Boss and I'm also intrigued by the Aer Duffel. Both in my view have a less formal look that was a bit too much informal for my needs, otherwise I'd have given them a try.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:15 pm

I understand your frustration and I can help.

Wheels are nice though- as having something on your shoulder or back over time does get burdensome. After a honeymoon period of being freed of wheeled bags you will be on a trip and miss your wheels. Trust me.

For no wheels and over budget I would recommend the RedOxx Skytrain. There is absolutely nothing out there better in my opinion. Unless fully stuffed I've been able to put my Skytrain under the seat of all but the smallest planes and have been able to get it on ANY overhead. The miniBoss seems cool on paper until you use it and it kills your shoulder. Having the option to convert to backpack mode is invaluable. The Skytrain has a shoulder strap as well so you have complete versatility.

To stay within your budget I would recommend the Soft Suitase (small size) from Tactical Tailor. http://www.tacticaltailor.com/bags.aspx?page=2

I have both of these bags. The Skytrain is a bit more well made (not by much though) and can expand up to MLC. The TT bag is within your budget, will fit under any seat, will never be tagged and only has 410 less cubic inches then the ROST.

PS
Your might also want to check out Tom Bihn bags. The Aeronaut (reg and small). They are very overpriced, not near as sturdy as the above (but sturdy enough unless you are rough on your stuff) but VERY well designed. I had the reg (45 size) and ended up giving it away. Most of my travel is business and IMHO their bags seem to scream personal travel.

Last edited by 1holegrouper; Jan 24, 2017 at 1:24 pm Reason: PS
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:25 pm

Are you looking to upgrade your personal item to 2-3 day capacity, checking the roller, or go exclusively one bag which fits under the seat? For a personal item, you probably don't need a 30 liter + bag for laptop, headphones, small set of toiletries, and 2 days worth of clothing. It will be tough keeping 3-4 days in personal item/under-seat sizing unless you are good at packing light (and go for a <30L bag with compression straps). Well organized and accessible onebags around 25L tend to look a bit sporty/techie, too.

I'd look for a bag oriented for easier top access for the airport/plane rather than hotel room access (clamshell/book). A pass-through slot might be useful. I prefer backpack or pass-through option since my bags get fairly heavy when loaded with gadgets. You could also add a few days of clothing in a compression packing cube and use it with your current Timbuk2, if you don't mind a slightly irregular block shape (when you zip it up to slim it down) and you don't need to pack a spare pair of shoes. http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-sp...ube-set/d/1281

Some slightly larger personal item suggestions:
eBags TLS Professional slim backpack
http://www.ebags.com/landingpages/tlsprofessional
Eagle Creek Convertabrief
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/convertab...ategoryId=1401

Tom Bihn makes bags in similar orientations to the Red Oxx Mini Boss but they are over budget.

If you want a one bag for 3-4 days, laptop, and gadgets NomadNick's Timbuk2 Jet Pack suggestion looks like a good deal.
eBags Professional Weekender is similar with a little more front access useful on planes http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...uctid=10299286

Take a look at Minaal's Carry-on 2.0, too, though slightly more expensive. Same with Incase EO Travel backpack https://www.incase.com/shop/backpack...avel-backpack/

Last edited by freecia; Jan 24, 2017 at 2:15 pm
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by freecia
Are you looking to upgrade your personal item to 2-3 day capacity, checking the roller, or go exclusively one bag which fits under the seat?
really I am looking for a bag that pairs nicely with the roller for longer (4+ day) trips...but if I could get a bag that has the ability to handle a 4 day capacity and not be significantly bulkier/heavier, that would also be OK.

I also want something that can fit in the OHB of a 737/319 on its "narrow" edge and doesn't have to always lay flat on its "back" like a traditional 20-22" rolling bag. It should also fit comfortably under most all airline seats including RJs ideally.

There are some good ideas in this thread. The InCase EO you posted is very promising, it has many of the same features of the bigger cases already posted but has 18" size versus 20-21" like some of the others. I just wish it was about $50 cheaper
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:05 am

Patagonia Headway Brief 22L may be a possibility.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:09 am

I'm a Red Oxx Skytrain user, but budget conscious too. Check out Rick Steve's Back Door bag. It runs about $80. No wheels and back pack straps.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I have a Skytrain which I like a lot. I also recommend the Tom Bihn Tristar. I think the Skytrain holds more but the Tristar has more organizational features and also has hidden shoulder straps like the Skytrain.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: Platinum Card Rewards
May not be what you want but I bought a TSA checkpoint friendly Samsonite back pack from Best Buy. It carries a 15 inch laptop which you don't have to remove. An iPad also all the other stuff you require. Charging cables, bose headset, some files, and a change of clothes two 2 [pairs of shoes along with basic toiletries and other stuff. And it slides right under the seat in front of you. It's not large but somehow it works. I believe it was $69.00 but I got it at a discount.
http://www.ebags.com/hproduct/samson...FYdrfgodRqsOJg

You can keep track of luggage with this device. http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/07/t...phone-app.html
Or this one https://www.thetrackr.com/bravo/?utm...FQ5EfgodjqwCIg Hide it in you luggage

Last edited by Music4u; Jan 27, 2017 at 4:16 pm
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
I have a couple that I use for trips (flying and in the car) depending on my use case.

Until recently, my go-to bag for carrying stuff was an Osprey Ozone 35 which has more than enough space to carry a laptop, a couple days worth of clothing, medicines, gadgets, snacks, water, pens, notebooks and other stuff.

I picked up a Peak Design Everyday 30L backpack last fall and it's now my "every trip" bag in most cases. I bought it to provide some usefulness when carrying photo gear, but it's very well suited for general travel as well. I think it's nicely laid out as far as pockets and organization goes, comfortable to lug around, and very well built. It's also pricey, but so far, I'm of the opinion it was worth every penny.

I've carried both around Europe and domestically, and I usually carry the Peak Design bag any time I take some camera gear, and the Osprey any time I'm just carrying a bag of clothing and not much more (short overnights, etc). Though the Peak Design bag works great in every use case as well.

These two have replaced a slew of other bags over the years, including a couple different Kata bags, and some cheaper backpacks too.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
I swear by my Red Oxx Air Boss after making the switch to wheel-less one bag travel a couple of years ago. It's outside your price range, but worth it IMHO. An added bonus is never having to gate check your bag on Regional Jets, and then never having to wait for it in the jetway.

Cheers.
OnebagFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
This is a great backpack. I carry my laptop, Bose headphones, iPad, camera, all the chargers etc that I need, and there is plenty of room for my jacket if I don't need, magazines, medication, any personal items etc. The padded laptop sleeve zips out flat for airport, and on the back there is another sleeve to stick my backpack on my suitcase handle.

I found this backpack from a FT recommendation, so passing it along.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/universal...ck-rfid/d/1370

Last edited by Jeannietx; Jan 31, 2017 at 7:19 pm Reason: link didn't work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.