Go Back   > >

Old Jan 11, 17, 12:10 am   #1
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat
Red face I have no idea what luggage to get...

I've been searching and have posted questions here before, but I found out I have to carry some more things for work.

I work in the medical field and carry a special tablet and some other gear. The tablet is about an inch thick (old technology). I also carry a full size laptop with a DVD drive and power brick. Also a clipboard about an inch thick with a compartment for papers.

I'll be carrying a special cradle for the tablet and a folding keyboard for the foreseeable future.

My trips are usually 1-2 days sometimes 4-5.

Right now I use Samsonite Casual Wheeled Laptop Overnighter
http://www.ebags.com/product/samsoni...uctid=10137317

I fit all of my work stuff in there except my laptop. I CAN fit my laptop in there as well if need be, but it's packed to the brim.

I also use the eBags Professional slim backpack
http://www.ebags.com/landingpages/tlsprofessional

I put my clothes, personal things and laptop in it.

----------------

I'm torn on what to get. I need a carryon that fits the max domestic size. Plus one that fits under the seat in front.

If it wasn't for the other work hardware, I'd get a full size spinner and a messenger bag.

I'm thinking of getting a generic spinner and just putting all my work stuff except this new keyboard/cradle in the samsonite.
Keyboard/cradle go in the spinner and then I pull them out and hand carry them to appointments.

I'm totally open to suggestions, I'd like to keep bag prices under $200 US.
Setherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 17, 2:26 am   #2

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
Sounds like you want to carry way too much on that tiny Samsonite, have you considered checking a bag? You sound like the nightmare seat mate, that brings his entire house and work with him and expects everyone to give him some wiggle room.

The bag Samsonite you're using is barely recommended for a night-over, it's just a marketing name. Get a max. size carry-on bag (it will have at least 20% more space than your current one) for your personal stuff and larger work items, take everything else in this "messenger" bag that must fit under the seat.
mevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 17, 1:25 pm   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setherd View Post
I've been searching and have posted questions here before, but I found out I have to carry some more things for work.

I'm totally open to suggestions, I'd like to keep bag prices under $200 US.
It's pretty simple, actually.

Use your Samsonite rolling laptop bag strictly for all your tech gear and fit it under the seat in front of you, it's designed for that.

Then purchase a rolling carryon, like the matching 21" Samsonite, and use it for all your clothes and liquids and put is in the overhead bin, it's designed for that.

Your issue is that you are using two items right now that are designed for the same purpose- combo of tech gear and clothing- and you're running out of space. Ditch the backpack, keep the Samsonite laptop bag (under seat), and buy a Samsonite rolling carryon (overhead bin) and you're all set. They'll stack atop each other and roll on the same handle, very convenient as well.

BJ
boltjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 17, 7:05 pm   #4
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
It's pretty simple, actually.

Use your Samsonite rolling laptop bag strictly for all your tech gear and fit it under the seat in front of you, it's designed for that.

Then purchase a rolling carryon, like the matching 21" Samsonite, and use it for all your clothes and liquids and put is in the overhead bin, it's designed for that.

Your issue is that you are using two items right now that are designed for the same purpose- combo of tech gear and clothing- and you're running out of space. Ditch the backpack, keep the Samsonite laptop bag (under seat), and buy a Samsonite rolling carryon (overhead bin) and you're all set. They'll stack atop each other and roll on the same handle, very convenient as well.

BJ
I think I'm going to have to go this route. But the Samsonite rolling laptop bag often wont fit under seats.
Old Jan 13, 17, 11:07 am   #5

Consider pairing the rolling laptop bag with a carry-on sized soft bag. I use a TLS Weekender on top of my rolling laptop bag. The TLS has a pocket with a harness for a laptop and, because it doesn't have the frame and hardware of a roller, it holds more stuff and fits into smaller places, including under seats. I use a Bag Bungee to attach my bags together to roll through the airport. As an added bonus, I can take both my roller and backpack onto regional jets, so I never have to gate check. Your Samsonite might be a touch to big for that.
Megn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 17, 6:42 am   #6

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Kimpton IC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
As you are already carrying a backpack, have you considered the Red Oxx SkyTrain, or even Tres Hombres? I realize they just go over the $200 mark, but they are a fantastic solution to the problem you have and also fit the profile you are using. Both of them have backpack straps and will easily consume the stuff you need to travel with, plus they have a truly unlimited, lifetime warranty.
N1120A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:38 am   #7
Original Poster

I'm on a 4 day trip right now, sitting in the skyclub at ATL.
I'm using a massive Travelpro 26" that's my wife's and just cramming my eBags backpack with the gear I need.
This sucks.

I think I'll get a full size carryon for the overhead bin and then something else. Skytrain, maybe something from tom bihn, i dont know.
Old Jan 18, 17, 10:39 pm   #8

Programs: Alaska 75K
Go to Costco and buy whatever they're selling. High Sierra "business" backpack + small spinner suitcase is the answer.
Brianblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 17, 8:50 pm   #9
Original Poster

I ended up getting a Travelpro Maxlite 4 22" roller.
I'm on my first trip with it and so far I'm really liking it. I replaced my samsonite with it.

It's big enough to put my hardware for work in it along with clothes. This makes my eBags backpack smaller, so it fits under seats better.

At work tonight, I transferred everything for work to the backpack, it's a tight fit but it works.