Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Our story of building Ready luggage. Any feedback?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our story of building Ready luggage. Any feedback?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lisah101
Guess I'm in the minority but I liked this bag. I travel with lots of electronics as I can't use work laptop for personal use at all so I have laptop, iPad, iPhone, separate charger, etc. I love the cup holder as I seem to find myself talking on the phone while walking through airports all the time. I have an external cup holder that attaches to my current bag but it's clumsy. I also like the hardshell case and don't miss outside pockets. I might be in the minority but just wanted to say, for me, this looks promising.
Thanks!

Last edited by ReadyTravel; Feb 11, 2017 at 3:40 pm Reason: Don't want to show this message
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by ReadyTravel
Thanks! I guess you are not alone. We just launched a crowdfunding campaign on IndieGoGo and we have raised over 50K now. HERE. I don't know if I can post a link here, but you can find us in the Design section. It would be great if you can support us!
LOL, crowdfunding.

BJ
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'm sure the ship anywhere for free is going to get amended pretty quick. I can imagine some countries where it would be prohibitively expensive to ship to. Antarctica anyone?

I do find the cases to be interesting. I'd probably order a green one, if I wasn't so tied to Costco bags.

Your warranty details weren't great. "If anything breaks, we will fix or replace" unless they decide it's "gradual wear and tear".

Yes. Ready Carry-On comes with a Lifetime Warranty. Our luggage, excluding the electronic components, is guaranteed by a lifetime warranty which covers any damage to the shell, wheels, handles, zippers, or anything else that functionally impairs the luggage. If anything breaks, we will fix or replace it for you. It does not cover gradual wear and tear throughout it's lifetime that is to be expected from normal use.
The electronic components themselves are guaranteed by a two-year warranty. We will offer replacement batteries for purchase in the future and will make sure they improve with technology advancements.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by ReadyTravel
Thanks!
No prob - I ordered one the moment they were available, just wish it could be here for my trip to the middle east in April. Oh well, looks like it's worth waiting for this!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:31 pm

When I read through the thread, I thought I would hate the bag. I agreed with the points that people have already raised. However, after seeing your campaign and looking at the bag, I actually like it. I'll go deeper into my likes/dislikes of your bag and design.

Also as a background, I am a male who owns more bags than I will ever need. My carry on regular rotation includes:
Rimowa Topas
Rimowa flight classic
Samsonite Cosmolite
Tumi Alpha
Tumi duffel

1. Americans may not like spinners or hard side carry ons, but the rest of the world loves them. You can spot the American businessman with their oversized 6 year old tumi roller from a mile away. Given the trend is in this direction, I understand why you went with a hard case.

2. I like the overall look of the bag.

3. The single best design feature for me is the alum. frame and the lock design. It's similar to my Rimowa flight classic.

4. The charger, bluetooth features, scale, cup holder are all useless to me. In fact they are MORE than useless because...

5. I want this bag to weigh half its current weight. As is, the bag weighs almost as much as my Rimowa bags which are total pigs in this day and age. I have often thought my perfect carry on bag would combine the lock system, multiposition handle, and wheels of my Rimowa bags with the light weight of my Samsonite. The Rimowa Limbo comes close, but it's expensive and heavy for a polycarb. bag. Also most of the chinese bags I have seen with similar features are clear knockoffs. If you could strip all the superfluous features and make this thing weigh under 5 pounds, I would be a customer at your price point.

6. The next question is: even if you made the bag as above, are there enough weirdos like me who would buy your bag?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:40 pm
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
I have looked at many of these kickstarter/indiegogo carryon projects, as I'm hoping to find something better than my current favorite rollaboard, a Sub-zero-G/IT-luggage which is 1.65kg for "max carryon size".

For example, the bag in this thread is almost 4kg empty, and many of the other crowdsourced bag projects are similarly very heavy and try to cram in many features.

In Europe, the carryon weight limit is usually only 8kg and is enforced too often to ignore especially on low-cost airlines (which business people like everyone else are also flying on these days), this kind of weight is just a no-go. What about Brazil with their 5kg carryon limit, which is often enforced?

On this specific bag, the bag material and the strap for additional bag seem like good ideas.

Anyway, it is great to see people try to innovate in the carryon bag area with new materials, designs and features.

I think if you really want to travel the world in one bag carryon-only style, my (YMMV) critical features of a bag would be:
  • Weight. As light as possible is critical so you can fly "any airline" including low cost without worry. Somewhere around 2kg max.
  • Maximum internal size, while external size is within strict carryon size limits. The shape could probably be designed suitably (some slightly slanted corners) so it fits into e.g. regional jets.
  • The two above points usually would mean 2 wheels, which is OK. One project had "big wheels"
  • Relatively sturdy construction with some modern materials (the sub-zero-G is fiberglass frame with soft cloth, which is a bit flimsy)
  • Easy to access laptop and tablet slot/sleeve, for taking them out at airport security and easy access otherwise
  • A few pockets here and there of different sizes (3-1-1 bag, A/A4 paper for travel docs, water bottle, passport, etc)
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Just for those who were interested: Got an update from them over the weekend: Sorry, we spend all the money, no luggage for you.

There is a rumor going around that they are going to resurface under a different name -- no idea of that is true or not but watch out of you see any new "Away" type luggage clones.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Just for those who were interested: Got an update from them over the weekend: Sorry, we spend all the money, no luggage for you.

There is a rumor going around that they are going to resurface under a different name -- no idea of that is true or not but watch out of you see any new "Away" type luggage clones.
Wow, that's gotta suck. Any protection for the folks that paid with credit cards?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Wow, that's gotta suck. Any protection for the folks that paid with credit cards?
Pretty much no: Kickstarter and Indigogo make it clear they are not stores and there is a risk the project might fail.

I don't know if they have reduced the vetting they do for projects or just there are more scams out there, but I've had enough failures recently that I am not backing anymore crowdfunded projects -- unless I am familiar with the people doing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.