Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance/Assistance for International travel (family)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Hi- our insurance will cover 80% of out of pocket medical expenses for overseas. However, what I would like is additional coverage such as calling a number and having them assist you on finding medical help and cover medical (if needed). I'd also like medivac coverage to the USA if we choose. I don't need trip cancellation insurance. Most of the plans appear to be that they reimburse you afterwards (which is what our insurance company would do anyway). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are organizations that give members lists of doctors and hotels in various locations. IIRC some of these include emergency medical evacuation when advised by doctors, not necessarily as your choice if it's deemed not medically necessary. In addition, AmEx used to publish and sell a book on medical advice for travelers that included extensive such lists.

Some people here like the medical evacuation coverage sold by scuba diving organizations.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Hi, can you please provide some names of the scuba diving insurance companies? We are not doing any dangerous activities. I called American Express and they do not offer insurance in our state.

thank you!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I carry medjetassist: if you get hospitalized, they will cover your medical jet to the USA. It doesn't do anything else but then again most insurances do not cover this part because it's way too expensive.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by laurava
Hi, can you please provide some names of the scuba diving insurance companies? We are not doing any dangerous activities. I called American Express and they do not offer insurance in our state.

thank you!
The one I've been a member of for decades is DAN - Divers Alert Network.

"Individual Membership ($35/year)
Membership dues include TravelAssist, a subscription to Alert Diver magazine and a number of other valuable benefits, including eligibility to join the ranks of prepared divers with DAN's exclusive dive accident insurance program.

Family Membership ($55/year)
For an additional $20 per year, you can add as many eligible family members to your membership as you desire.

TravelAssist (link)
As a DAN Member, you automatically receive DAN TravelAssist and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. This benefit is effective for both diving and nondiving medical emergencies. Evacuation coverage begins when you travel on a trip at least 50 miles (80 km) from home and call the DAN Emergency Hotline (+1-919-684-9111) for assistance or evacuation.

When you purchase an individual or family DAN Membership, you are automatically enrolled in DAN's travel assistance plan. When you travel on a trip at least 50 miles (80 km) from your place of residence, DAN TravelAssist arranges emergency medical evacuations for any medical emergency and provides additional benefits for you and your eligible family members.

IMPORTANT: DAN TravelAssist must arrange ALL evacuations. Call +1-919-684-9111 for assistance. (This number can be called collect if you are outside the USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, British or U.S. Virgin Islands.) If you make your own emergency evacuation arrangements, DAN TravelAssist will not reimburse the cost.

Much more with the link above. No age limits. DAN USA requires USA residence. I do know people who have used it - a friend had a non-diving related eye injury was medevacced from the Cancún (Mexico) area to her California home city after initial treatment locally, as well as translation assistance and iirc she was advanced some money for expenses (limit as a member $5,000).

DAN also offer trip (conventional per trip cancellation and interruption insurance), annual travel insurance (we carry that) and insurance products for divers (I've been a diver 60 years).
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
I carry medjetassist: if you get hospitalized, they will cover your medical jet to the USA. It doesn't do anything else but then again most insurances do not cover this part because it's way too expensive.
Bump for Medjetassist^

Also HTH Worldwide offers good international coverage and reasonable rates. Not sure if they cover scuba. My grown up sons have both used HTH for several years and several trips with excellent service (yes, they required medical!)
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I carry the annual HTH plus the annual MedJet Assist

For some comparisons of coverage here are a couple of good websites.

https://www.insuremytrip.com/

https://tripinsurancestore.com/get-a-quote.php

If you are looking for medical only, it is not going to cost a lot of money. Where the big cost is when folks want to insure the cost of the trip. We consider ourselves self insured for trip cost.

We travel a lot so these are the two we carry.

https://medjetassist.com/
MedJet covers also within the US if 150 miles or more from home, has annual plan.

https://hthtravelinsurance.com/
International medical, has annual plans.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:32 pm

I've been using World Nomads insurance for a while now, especially because of their coverage especially for "adventure" traveling that traditional insurance companies don't cover. Plus their plans are affordable when stacked next to other insurance companies. http://womendigitalnomads.com/insurance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.