Packing cubes: Should I use them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packing cubes: Should I use them?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I have found the packing cubes offer compression of sort and so their bulk is won back easily. I am curious whether a real vacuum sack would work better but while I tried some years ago, the roll up kind doesn't work well and of course getting a hoover to really create a vacuum of sorts is not feasible on travel. This is why I backed the Vago Kickstarter and rather curious whether it'll work out.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Whether it's for a short overnight or 2 nights trip, or long-haul/oversea trips of a week plus, a good mix of packing tubes help us organize - aid in unpacking once we checked into our hotel or packing everything onward to the next destination/home.

The medium, small & half-sized cubes from eBags and EC are preferred, they fit nicely into 22" carry-ons (and, the occasional extended vacation/longer cruises with the 25" checked roller ... typically for colder climate w. bulkier clothes, where laundry isn't practical, even with Ex-Officio). It's possible to roll and squeeze quite a bit, tightly, into packing cubes, use it as a semi-compression bag - squeezing out the air. They also act as liners to keep my clothes clean by simply tossing them into the hotel room's dresser drawer or closet shelves, etc. - worth the extra few ounces in weight penalty.

For smaller items, a slim or 1/2 cube or one of the small EC pouches do help keep everything together or else, it's easy to lost or leave behind those plugs, chargers, cables.

Most of the time, I get by with the smaller Sony Viao notebook and the tablet/iPad Mini ... everything else including gadgets, toiletry & medications (2 Tumi pouch by Delta) all fit into a slim Timbuk2 backpack as my "personal sized" cabin bag - 2 variants pictured here. A single, medium eBag packing cube has up to 2 days worth of clothes - and, slip perfectly into the backpack. Amazing when I magically unpack what's inside the slim (but, heavy) backpack.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...G20140917S.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...G20140923T.jpg
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I love packing cubes as they help keep everything together. I mostly use the large ones http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/l...-3pc-set/48438. In my 22" luggage I can stack 2 of them (full) while in my 26" I can fit two side by side and stack as well.

For a short trip, I'll place my clothing in the cubes according to the order I intend to wear them so each day I can just pop the need items off of the stack. For longer trips, I try to organize by type of clothing.

For very short trips, I use eBags' medium size. I fill it up and drop it vertically in my backpack so there's room on the sides for other stuff.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:08 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Organization

The main purpose of packing cubes for me is organization. I like to keep my "smalls" underthings/socks in one. I keep bathing suit/coverup stuff in one. I keep sleep wear in one. It works best on long trips when using a large rolling duffle. I like the big zip lock compression bags as dirty clothes bags.

Even if staying a long time somewhere having my small things in a packing cube in a drawer. I don't have to dig around for stuff It makes me feel better what with TSA security handling my stuff to have it a little more out of the way. Also sometimes in a visual security inspection (it happens in Mexico a lot) keeps my underclothes private.

My husband uses the shirt keeper from Eagle creek. It maintains his shirts in a tidy no wrinkle way.

Vacum sacks are also great for winter travel with bulky sweaters, fleece and down.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:06 pm

Packing cubes were the best things I ever purchased in regard to travel
Old Nov 25, 2016, 7:44 pm

Love my packing cubes too! I have several from Eagle's Creek, but recently I came across foldable ones from Muji that were lightweight.

I use them mainly for organization, and also to separate the "have-worn" from the "have-not-worns" - helps greatly especially when I have to pack and repack over several locations in 1 trip.

There is a slight compression factor to them too - when I did winter trip, I used to be able to trim bulk off my jackets/coats simply by zipping up the cubes.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:12 pm

I'm on the road ~300 nights/year. I bought a few generic packing cubes off Amazon a couple of years back. Overall, yes, they are great for organizing things. I'll admit I don't use them for every trip. I find the smaller ones to be the most useful. I also find myself using them more often on longer trips.

I use the cubes for undergarments, socks, ties, etc. Toiletries still end up in multiple ziploc bags in case something lets go. Dirty clothes go in a mesh bag which has a drawstring. Shirts generally get put into a suiter and tossed in the top.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I'm on the road ~300 nights/year
Mind if I ask what are you doing...?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:43 am

if you're near an ikea, check these out

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60235114/

Yes, they're not eagle creek branded, but I've had mine for several years now and work like a charm for either cables/wires or clothes.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan
if you're near an ikea, check these out

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60235114/

Yes, they're not eagle creek branded, but I've had mine for several years now and work like a charm for either cables/wires or clothes.

+1 I've been using them for two years now. Still on the first set.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
eBags has a great assortment. http://www.ebags.com/category/travel.../packing-cubes

I've been using packing cubes since 2006, can't imagine traveling without them.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by NJTrucker
+1 I've been using them for two years now. Still on the first set.
Agreed...but really Ikea....some of the names of their products....I'm like ...?

http://distractify.com/old-school/2014/04/25/
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan
Agreed...but really Ikea....some of the names of their products....I'm like ...?
Swedish company, Swedish names. Upptäcka = find, discover, explore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.