Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packing cubs for Aeronaut 30

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Packing cubs for Aeronaut 30

So from reading this forum I have come to the conclusion that packing cubes are the way to go. I just ordered an Aeronaut 30 yesterday and I am wondering which packing cubes I should go with. I have not got the bag yet but my plan is to pack my running shoes on one of the end and the rest is kind of up for grabs at the moment. Her is my packing list -

1 pairs of slacks
1 pair of jeans
5 pairs of underwear
5 pairs of socks (2 running, 3 dress)
2 pairs of running shorts or 1 pair of light weight running pants
2 running shirts (short or long sleeve depeding on season)
1 pair of running shoes
3 button down dress or casual shirts
2 T-shirts
1 Sport coat
Medium size toiletry bag
Very small cord case with travel car charger, cord and 3.5mm cord
Umbrella if possible

Question 1 - What do you think is the best way to lay the items out
Question 2 - Which combination of packing cubes do you think I should buy to maximize space?

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:20 am

You would probably do better to ask this question on the tom bihn forums at (forums.tombihn.com). TB also sells packing cubes specifically for the A30 though other folks have had success using eagle creek ones.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:41 am

I use the Eagle Creek Specter series of packing cubes and really like them. They also have two different sizes of compression packing cubes that are equally great. If you're inclined to use garment folders, I think you'll have to stick with a 15" version for it to fit in the main compartment of your Aeronaut 30.

I normally travel with either an Icebreakers merino wool zip-front hoodie or a Patagonia nano-puff jacket now that the weather is turning cooler. Putting either of these into the small Specter compression cube makes a great pillow for longer flights or if you get stranded in an airport somewhere and need to grab some z's.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Seconding, hachkc. One place to start over there is this thread, but you'll find a wealth of information. And don't be afraid that people over there will just say to buy the TB cubes--you'll get recommendations for other brands, most likely (as also mentioned above) the Eagle Creek spectre ones.

The best thing about Tom Bihn A30 cubes is that they fit the bag exactly, so no wasted space. I really, really like the new Aether cubes. The fabric is just beautiful, and I wish I could justify replacing all my packing cubes with Aether ones, but alas, I cannot.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:19 pm

I have Bihn and EC spectre cubes as well as the awesome EC medium folder. The benefit of cubes for me is that they allow me to "pre pack" into my bag space and thus take a big job and turn it into a few small jobs.

That said, I don't use tom bihn cubes much. I tend to use a modified bundle method so my pack looks like this:

* Undies and socks go into an EC small spectre cube - these have compression that the TB cubes don't, so while the TB cubes fit perfect, they don't compress which gives me about 30% of the space back

* T-shirts get rolled and go into an EC medium spectre compression cube

* Dress shirts, pants get a modified bundle into the EC medium folder

* Suits get rolled with tissue paper

* everything else gets rolled and cinched down with the luggage straps in the Aeronaut.

It's all preference but the Bihn cubes don't make as much sense for me, especially the large ones.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:18 am

I have an A45 and eBags has some of their own branded packing cubes which are cheaper than TB's but seem to be the same dimensions - I'm not sure if they have versions for the A30. Very lightweight material, I'm not a huge fan of the design, but they fit perfectly in the bag main pocket & side pockets so ultimately I'm happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.