Reload this Page >

Help with finding something bigger than laptop bag for 2-3 night trips

Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I have a legal roller for week-long trips.

I have a laptop bag that works well for overnight trips. It takes less than half of the personal item sizer. I struggle with it on longer trips though. My Bose headphones had to hang off the side this weekend.

I need something bigger for 2-3 nights. I want it to be legal as a personal item, so that I can take it with me even when I have a larger bag with me. But it also needs a padded section that can hold a 15 inch MacBook Pro.

Any suggestions for a style of bag (but I'll gladly take Amazon links too)? My first instinct was "backpack", but I prefer something that easily sits on top of my larger carry-on bag.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Post relocated from Air Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:33 pm

Best options are probably from RedOxx (airboss and mini bosss) and Tom Bihn (tristar and western flyer). I can do 2 nights plus gear in just the western flyer. I don't believe any of them have a pass through section though so you would need a hook or bungee to attached to your roller. The TB options are also convertibles so you can use them as a backpack or shoulder carry.

I'd suggest you check the sites and I know tom bihn has a forum with plenty of discussions on the topic and pics.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
check out Briggs and Riley

The large and medium expandable briefs in the @work collection offer a separate padded laptop compartment and a packing section for a couple days of clothes.

I have been traveling with the large version for almost 2 years now and have been able to squeeze up to a week out the bag. Feel free go check out the pics in my FT profile.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:14 pm

Forgot to add that eagle creek has a few offerings worth looking at. Check out the convertabrief, tarmac and adventurer weekenders. Definitely the most affordable of the bunch so far.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by hachkc
Definitely the most affordable of the bunch so far.
It definitely depends on how you define cost. I am sold on Red Oxx. The quality is top shelf, everything made with durable components and rugged construction. All products come with a life time warranty and customer service is excellent. I have worked with Christian on several purchases and he is great.
Having done a lot of travel, to my thought process a few cheaper bags that rip, get damaged or just plain fall apart multiplied out make the Red Oxx worth the investment.

I mention this because I am leaving on vacation very shortly and budgeted and purchased my Red Oxx gear over several months in my vacation planning. Now getting down to crunch time the interactions are fresh.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:08 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
I second the reference to the Tom Bihn Tri-Star. You could also look at the Ebags equivalent (Professional Weekender).
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by jjlmcgrath
It definitely depends on how you define cost.
See my 1st post where I mentioned RO (and TB) specifically. As for EC, they are a very reputable brand and offer a "No Matter What Warranty".
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: LH M+M
Not the OP, but just ordered the 'Tri-Star' after this thread. Hopefully 14 days are enough for delivery into ol-yurop .
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by hachkc
Forgot to add that eagle creek has a few offerings worth looking at. Check out the convertabrief, tarmac and adventurer weekenders. Definitely the most affordable of the bunch so far.
I have the Eagle Creek Adventure Weekender and I find it to be extremely practical and useful for this sort of thing.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS MVPG, WN CP
This seems like a perfect use case for the Red Oxx Mini Boss (as mentioned previously). Perfect size for 2-3 nights on its own, but still should pass as personal item and can easily sit on top of larger carry on. I have it in navy and it doesn't look at all out of place in a meeting, but can pack it with everything I need and love the padded section for the laptop.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
This is my go-to for weekend trips. Fits under the seat of most planes if needed. I like that it has a strap for nesting onto a larger rolling bag, for longer overseas trips I will often use this in conjunction with a 22" carry-on.

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelp...FYYmhgodtzsJlA
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
OP, let us know which product(s) you end purchasing! I'm in the same plane myself. That and some of us like closure.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I use a Briggs and Riley 231x Expandable Cabin Bag

http://www.briggs-riley.com/baseline...x?__country=CA

The only thing it lacks is a padded laptop compartment so I use a padded laptop sleeve instead.

It does fit in AC personal item sizer if not expanded and it hasn't been questioned as a personal item on AC, SAA, BA and WS.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt/IHG DL/B6/WN/AA
I'll add to the folks suggesting the Red Oxx Mini Boss - I've done a full seven days mixed business and personal travel with just that one bag. It easily fits under the seat on all the domestic US mainline aircraft I've tried, very comfortable to carry and looks good enough to pass in a business meeting in most cases. Should be no problem to do 2-3 nights without even needing to do much strategic packing.

Tom Bihn makes some great choices in this realm as well but they are a little more expensive and I don't have hands on experience with them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.