Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Best warm-weather merino wool t-shirt for travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum

I’m a big fan of merino wool. But right now, my closet is full of merino for cold weather travel. I’m trying to figure out what sort of t-shirt I need next for hot weather travel.

I like Icebreaker merino shirts, but they are expensive and the design makes me look like a tourist/backpacker. It’s hard to blend in.

What's your merino wool shirt of choice, and why did you choose it? What do you look for in a hot weather merino shirt?

Cost?
A specific feature?
Have you had problems with durability and why?

It’d be great if you can share your two cents!

Last edited by htran831; Oct 23, 2016 at 10:15 pm
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:21 pm
AF1

I like 150 weight icebreakers for hot weather but they are very expensive and the graphic designs can be a bit backpacker style.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:00 pm

You might try Ibex - they have some nice looking wool polo shirts. I've largely gone with Icebreaker because they're cheaper than Ibex. For some reason, the Ibex never seem to make it on sale or to somewhere like Sierra Trading Post, but the Icebreaker stuff does.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Funny you say that because I immediately went to Sierra Trading when I saw this post and they have a bunch of IBex shirts right now ;-)
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: Independent
Does anyone sell them in big and tall sizes (3x at least)?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS MVPG, WN CP
I use an Icebreaker Anatomica V Neck for hot weather 150 weight and it works great. Nicely fitted, though not too tight, as long as you check the sizing first and order appropriately. I do not like any others made by Icebreaker as you said, they don't blend in and many look tacky. Though they retail for $70, many colors/sizes can be found in the $40-45 range.

I have found it to be durable but have experienced a little pilling recently after slogging a heavy Red Oxx Air Boss with the shoulder strap rubbing back and forth against it all the time. But that is normal for all merino shirts and not something I would avoid purchasing over.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Is there any particular merino shirt that doesn't experience pilling? Anyone have experiences with that?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:46 am

I noticed once on the Icebreaker site that they recommend washing shirts that are starting to pill with jeans. Apparently the agitation with the jeans helps that. I've done that and have noticed less pilling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.