Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wheeled carry-on bag for small jets?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Wheeled carry-on bag for small jets?

I often fly on regional jets, either the 3 or 4 seat across type. The overhead bins are so small that I haven't yet found any wheeled bags that fit in them and so always end up gate-checking. Anyone know of a wheeled bag that will fit in these tiny bins? (I need the wheels because of wrist problems carrying too much weight). Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:46 am

Bad News

In my experience, trying to find a wheeled bag that will fit in-cabin on EMB 145's and similar regional "jets" is futile. There just is not enough room in either the overhead bins for a roller bag or under the seats. I have heard some travelers claim that they have gotten a B & R U116 under the aisle seat on the starboard side of the plane, but I have never been successful in having the same luck. Not to mention that if I WERE successful, there wouldn't be any space left to place my feet.

I have recently surrendered to the process on business trips; I now rely on valet-checking a B & R U119CX Baseline or an Eagle Creek Tarmac 20. On three recent trips the bag has been sitting on the tarmac or jet-bridge when I deplane enabling me to grab it with only minimal delay and still make the dash for my connection.

On personal trips, I book my flight(s) using whatever credit card will afford me a free checked bag and travel with only a light boarding bag. The time lost checking or claiming the bag doesn't matter.....I'm on vacation!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ad-crj200.html
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by LiveOak
In my experience, trying to find a wheeled bag that will fit in-cabin on EMB 145's and similar regional "jets" is futile. There just is not enough room in either the overhead bins for a roller bag or under the seats. I have heard some travelers claim that they have gotten a B & R U116 under the aisle seat on the starboard side of the plane, but I have never been successful in having the same luck.
I have definitely gotten my B&R U116 into the OVERHEAD bin on MULTIPLE different EMB 145 type jets. These are the 1 seat/2seat configuration type jets (or flying sewage pipes, if you ask me), and the U116 fits on the 2 seat side overhead bin. You need to put it in wheels out, but I assure you, it fits.

I have found that if I retract the telescoping handle of the U116 and hand carry it, I've almost never been stopped by a gate agent and asked to tag. Once when I was asked to tag, I simply took the tag off while walking down the jetway, and had no problems fitting it in the overhead bin.

My experience has also been that the overhead bins are basically never fully utilized on those small jets, because no one has bags small enough to fit in them.

The U116 is petite, so I often need a second bag when I travel. So my standard travel approach now is to use my U116 as a "base" that provides me with wheels, and then to stack another bag on top. I would prefer to go with the classic "1 bag" approach to travel, but I usually have to bring a large amount of tech stuff with me, and it just gets too heavy to wield on my back. I think of my wheeled base with a bag on top as a "modified 1 bag" approach.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
My two wheeled Rimowa aluminum seems to fit most everywhere. Or forget the wheels and go for a RedOxx Miniboss, that'll sure fit.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:44 pm
KCZ

Can you keep the suggestions coming? I have a trip on EMB175/CRJ700 coming up for the first time since I had back surgery and had to stop carrying bags. Can anyone give me the max measurements for a wheeled bag that will fit in the bins or recommend a specific bag? What is the limiting factor, height or width of the bag? A lot of bags recommended in older threads are now unavailable.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
My two wheeled Rimowa aluminum seems to fit most everywhere. Or forget the wheels and go for a RedOxx Miniboss, that'll sure fit.
Interesting. I wouldn't have ever guessed the Rimowa 2w would fit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.