Wide Luggage Hook

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wide Luggage Hook

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Wide Luggage Hook

Currently, when I carry my rollaboard and my laptop bag, I don't use the laptop sleeve on the back to go on my handle but instead twist the strap once, stick it around the handle bar of my rollaboard as low as I can get it, and allow the bag to hang down the front. This works fine, I've only had the bag fall off once while trying to navigate a curb in a 3rd world country. It is annoying to have to twist and slide the strap and then untwist and slide.

The obvious solution is a J hook however all the ones I see are fairly narrow and I'm afraid it won't hold the bag very well (keeping it from sliding off) and/or may damage my handle. Although I see pilots and FA do it with no issue.

I've seen a wider one from Luggage Pal but its kind of pricey and I wonder how easy it will be to lose if I check my bag. I haven't found any other wide J hooks.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:14 pm

why don't you get one of these instead?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ap-review.html
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:50 pm

I do not use J hooks instead a use the Bag Bungee from Travelon and I can recommend it. Downside is that you need to unhook it if you want to get inside your bag.

Here a video demonstrating it:

I prefer to carry bags on top of my carry on since I think it looks better, besides why spend a lot of money on a nice looking carry on if I am just going to cover it up most of the time? hehe
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Mellonc
why don't you get one of these instead?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ap-review.html
Looks interesting, very clever however I think my bag is too short or my strap is too long. That is why I twist my strap, if I did not, my laptop bag would be too low and the balance would be off. Right now with the way I have my bag, the center a gravity is a tiny bit too far back causing me to have to push down on the handle a little while pulling it or have everything at a higher angle. Ofcourse the issue with the bag not touching the ground is that it will cause everything to tip forward when upright. I'll have to do some experimenting.

Originally Posted by SkyForce6
... Downside is that you need to unhook it if you want to get inside your bag.
I prefer to carry bags on top of my carry on since I think it looks better, besides why spend a lot of money on a nice looking carry on if I am just going to cover it up most of the time? hehe
I want to be able to get inside my bag without unstrapping something. I use to carry my bag on top like you, my bag has a sleeve to let me slide it over the handles so I wouldn't even need the strap. However, it is a pain to drag my luggage around like that. Ever since I started carrying the bag lower, with the center of gravity closer to the wheels, it has been a breeze.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:38 am

[QUOTE=eng3;27371268]Looks interesting, very clever however I think my bag is too short or my strap is too long. That is why I twist my strap, if I did not, my laptop bag would be too low and the balance would be off. Right now with the way I have my bag, the center a gravity is a tiny bit too far back causing me to have to push down on the handle a little while pulling it or have everything at a higher angle. Ofcourse the issue with the bag not touching the ground is that it will cause everything to tip forward when upright. I'll have to do some experimenting.

errrrr, the whole point of that thread was to buy a new strap. You can't do what I suggest in that thread without the strap recommended.

also neither the bag bungee (I tried it) nor any method that puts the laptop bag on top of the carry on solves the issue of being "top heavy." In other words, your arms will still carry all that weight. With the low rider system, I can literally lug the carry on and the briefcase with only 2 fingers.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Yes I agree. However, the modified strap system you show won't work for everyone depending on how short or tall they are because of the strap length. I'll have to investigate my strap length more closely to see if that would work.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:07 pm

Ah,,,,,, ok. So, I've been trying this thing for quite some time now and find that it takes some trial and error. I'm tall but I carry my bags somewhat on the short side - I don't like to droop all the way down to my lower thigh area. Vice versa, some of the shorter dudes carry their stuff a little long. Another variable is the height of the carry on bag. If you are short and the bag also happens to be a 20 inch bag instead of the 22 inch bag, which the pic is based on, you may have easier time matching up with the length of the shoulder strap.

I guess my point is that it's not that hard to find the strap length that works for your short height and the length of the bag so that you don't have to fiddle with adjusting the length of the strap every time you "piggy back" the strap on the carry on.

Good luck.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
This funcionality is built in (some of?) the Rimowas, both rollaboards and suitcases - works extremely well

https://www.airlineintl.com/files/13/products13229.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.