Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi Alpha 2: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Tumi Alpha 2: worth it?

I consider getting a new set of a carryon + a laptop briefcase/organizer bag.

The Tumi Alpha 2 Continental CO and the "Expandable Organizer Laptop Brief" bag look well made, but are very expensive.
https://goo.gl/CA69uA
https://goo.gl/CA69uA

Do these really justify their cost? are the products sturdy enough that buying them will be a long-term investment, so to speak?

Any suggestions where they can be had at discounted prices?.

Cheers
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I have both and yes, they are worth it IMHO. Tumi controls their channel pretty well and it is unlikely you will find any amazing bargains.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

Indeed seems like no deep discounts around. Ebags has the alpha 2 for the same price as on Tumi's website.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:08 pm

Amazon has 20% off coupons once in a while. it works even on Tumi bags.
ebates has 6% of coupons for ebags as usual. sometimes, ebags doubles this to 12%.

you might also note that ebags is still sales tax free whereas amazon collects taxes. so, even with a 20% off, you end up paying taxes. in my state, that amounts to only 11% off.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:33 pm

if you are ever in the Atlanta, Savannah, Georgia area check out the Vidalia Tumi Factory Store.
http://www.exploregeorgia.org/listin...-factory-store

Vidalia was the first Tumi factory, and they still have a factory store there.
Its not an outlet store, but factory store. Normally prices are at least 50-70% off retail, and 20-30% off of the outlet store pricing.
They also have better selections than the normal outlet stores, and would carry current models.
For example, all their belts are $25, including the exotics like Cayman, Ostrich, etc..

They have a deeper sale twice a year, once in December and the other in April during their Vidalia Onion Festival. I picked up an Alpha II medium sized for $259 during the Dec. sale, the carry-on Alpha II was 150ish.

If you are in a market for a few items, the savings might even be more than your airfare.

Last edited by Commie; Sep 30, 2016 at 10:41 pm
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Awesome info, cheers ^
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:20 am

Read the current Tumi luggage warranty before buying! No warranty whatsoever unless purchased from a Tumi-authorized retailer or Tumi directly. Even if purchased from a Tumi-authorized retailer or Tumi directly, the warranty has so many outs, that it is practically useless.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Commie
if you are ever in the Atlanta, Savannah, Georgia area check out the Vidalia Tumi Factory Store.
http://www.exploregeorgia.org/listin...-factory-store

Vidalia was the first Tumi factory, and they still have a factory store there.
Its not an outlet store, but factory store. Normally prices are at least 50-70% off retail, and 20-30% off of the outlet store pricing.
They also have better selections than the normal outlet stores, and would carry current models.
For example, all their belts are $25, including the exotics like Cayman, Ostrich, etc..

They have a deeper sale twice a year, once in December and the other in April during their Vidalia Onion Festival. I picked up an Alpha II medium sized for $259 during the Dec. sale, the carry-on Alpha II was 150ish.

If you are in a market for a few items, the savings might even be more than your airfare.
Thank you very much for sharing the great info. With such discounts even worth a flight just shopping Tumi.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Read the current Tumi luggage warranty before buying! No warranty whatsoever unless purchased from a Tumi-authorized retailer or Tumi directly. Even if purchased from a Tumi-authorized retailer or Tumi directly, the warranty has so many outs, that it is practically useless.
Great misleading information!

First of all, when you register your product with Tumi for warranty it doesn't ask where you bought it.

Tumi has the best warranty in the industry for the 1st year of ownership, including loaner bags if you do have an issue (and they pay for the freight both ways). Years 2-5 is as good as anything else on the market, with the exception of damage caused by something other than a defect in design, workmanship, or materials (i.e. it got run over by a tug, or the airline employees threw it off a building, it landed in a river, and was run over by a ship and the propeller shredded it, then they returned it to you). All of which wouldn't be the bag makers fault.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by mspreh
Great misleading information!

First of all, when you register your product with Tumi for warranty it doesn't ask where you bought it.

Tumi has the best warranty in the industry for the 1st year of ownership, including loaner bags if you do have an issue (and they pay for the freight both ways). Years 2-5 is as good as anything else on the market, with the exception of damage caused by something other than a defect in design, workmanship, or materials (i.e. it got run over by a tug, or the airline employees threw it off a building, it landed in a river, and was run over by a ship and the propeller shredded it, then they returned it to you). All of which wouldn't be the bag makers fault.
Misleading? Perhaps you should re-read the actual text of the Tumi Limited Warranty

Best warranty for 1st year in the industry? I think not. How is it better than Briggs and Riley for example?

Nowhere in the Limited Warranty does Tumi talk about loaner bags. Please point out exactly where this is written.

Also from the text of the Limited Warranty:

"For five (5) years after you purchase a TUMI product from one of our travel, business, or bag collections, or two (2) years for any wallet or accessory, from an authorized TUMI store or dealer, you will be covered by our Limited Warranty."
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by mzzxx11
Awesome info, cheers ^
I would recommend looking at Victorinox as well. Their briefs could be accused of looking a little `boring' but are built well and accompanied by an excellent warranty (I refer to the Architecture 3.0 series and any other premium lines they offer with their "carry with confidence" guarantee).
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Misleading? Perhaps you should re-read the actual text of the Tumi Limited Warranty

Best warranty for 1st year in the industry? I think not. How is it better than Briggs and Riley for example?

Nowhere in the Limited Warranty does Tumi talk about loaner bags. Please point out exactly where this is written.

Also from the text of the Limited Warranty:

"For five (5) years after you purchase a TUMI product from one of our travel, business, or bag collections, or two (2) years for any wallet or accessory, from an authorized TUMI store or dealer, you will be covered by our Limited Warranty."
1. They pay the shipping both ways, B&R does not pay for the bags to come into them for repair.

2. Loaner Bags are available at various retailers (i.e. Nordstrom), or at a Tumi Store, those stores will ship the bag in for you and give you a loaner until your bag is back. Loaner bags aren't part of the warranty (they give you those even if it is a repair on a bag 6 years old and you are paying for a repair). I can see where my previous post made that extra benefit appear as part of the warranty, when it applies all the time.

So in those 2 ways it beats B&R, since you want to talk about B&R.

3. Regardless of the amount of time, if you lose a zipper pull (designed to break off on Tumi, B&R, and most good brands) any Tumi Store including all of the Airport locations will replace those for free including putting it on. Where with B&R you have to pay them $10 to ship you the replacement parts that cost less than fifty cents.

If you register your Tumi product, all it asks is for the Tracer number, your name address, etc. Doesn't ask where you purchased it from. Your warranty starts from that date. If you register a product 5 years after it was made and make a warranty claim 2 weeks later, then they probably want to see a proof of purchase.

Last edited by mspreh; Oct 5, 2016 at 10:03 am
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:08 pm

and Brigg Riley doesn't have Claire (or Jeff) - the lady doing the product demos on Tumi website.

Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:39 am

a product is worth what people are willing to pay for it... so yes, the Tumi is worth it. I've bought 5 Tumi business briefcases (leather) and they have all be great. Plus I really like the way they look and their designs and materials.

I've never had a Tumi rollaboard, because

a) I've never seen anything special in their design and materials for the money
b) I'm pretty rough on my luggage and don't have the disposable income to spend on Tumi rollaboards
c) I bought some Travelpro, Eagle Creel and Delsey luggage over the years, and all of them are still functioning like new ... so again, just haven't gone the Tumi route for luggage.
d) I would suspect, however, that if I DID buy a Tumi rollaboard that I would be very happy with it.

Another bag that really looks a lot like a Tumi is the Costco Kirkland. If there was a good way to remove the Kirkland logo from the bag, and maybe replace it with something else ... that would be cool. Anyone done that?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by mspreh
1. They pay the shipping both ways, B&R does not pay for the bags to come into them for repair.

3. Regardless of the amount of time, if you lose a zipper pull (designed to break off on Tumi, B&R, and most good brands) any Tumi Store including all of the Airport locations will replace those for free including putting it on. Where with B&R you have to pay them $10 to ship you the replacement parts that cost less than fifty cents.
Not true here. I had to purchase the zipper pulls by calling their customer service. It wasn't expensive (maybe $15 for 10 zippers) but it wasn't free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.