Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Daypack suggestions

Daypack suggestions

Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Daypack suggestions

I am looking for a tough, 15L-18L daypack, I was originally hoping to purchase the 15L GoRuck Bullet, but I am told that it has been dropped form the GoRuck line. Their 10L model is just too small for my needs. Anyone have any suggestions? This will be used as both a personal item for air travel as well as a daypack for sightseeing, etc.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:16 am

TADGear's FAST Pack Litespeed should do the trick if you need it new; otherwise, I see GoRuck bags for sale on eBay all the time.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
The Tom Bihn Daylight Backpack is pretty much made exactly for your purposes. It has a slim profile, folds down to nothing, but holds a lot, and is built to last. The halcyon fabric, in particular, is very nice.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:39 am
Original Poster

The Litespeed bag looks nice, but a little too tactical for me. Don't want to get the airport screeners here or in some of the countries I will be visiting nervous. I also neglected to mention that the GoRuck Echo (an 18 liter pack) is just too short for my body configuration. I am 6'4" and it looks freakishly small when strapped to my back.

Last edited by LiveOak; Sep 28, 2016 at 10:40 am Reason: add tex
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'll piggy-back onto this thread since I have a similar question...

I'm looking for a daypack. Something that when empty could fit rather easily into my roller carry-on, or maybe even my existing backpack.

I keep a nicer shopping bag (picked it up for about C$1-2 from a supermarket in Halifax) in the pocket of my roller, and in a pinch have used that, but much nicer to not have to carry it.
I've also emptied out my nice backpack a few times, but then I have that stuff all over a hotel room, worrying that I'll forget/lose something (or forget to take it out and have a heavy backpack).

I was at REI on Monday (had time to kill while waiting for a haircut and REI was very close so walked over) and they have something that may work. It is drawstring at the top, looks like it is even water resistant (maybe water proof). Price was around $40. If memory serves, it was the Flash Backpack:
https://www.rei.com/product/892074/rei-flash-18-pack

Does anyone have it? Care to comment?

I have a couple of backpacks given out at conferences with just a single strap. That is mostly useless, as you then need to make sure it doesn't fall off

Going to Beijing for a mileage run/mini vacation in mid-November, so would like to have something to bring with me. Probably doing a day hike on/near the Great Wall, and the daypack would be ideal.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Or transfer your backpack's contents to the ultralight and leave that in the hotel and don't have to worry about items getting left behind-- that's what I did on a recent trip.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I don't have that exact model, but I do own this REI daypack which I think may actually fit your needs better:
https://www.rei.com/product/809163/r...travel-daypack

It does have a drawstring closure on top and is indeed waterproof (or at least strongly resistant) based on experience carrying it in the rain. Best of all, it's super-light and folds into a small package about the size of a balled-up t-shirt.

Originally Posted by aztimm
I'll piggy-back onto this thread since I have a similar question...

I'm looking for a daypack. Something that when empty could fit rather easily into my roller carry-on, or maybe even my existing backpack.

I keep a nicer shopping bag (picked it up for about C$1-2 from a supermarket in Halifax) in the pocket of my roller, and in a pinch have used that, but much nicer to not have to carry it.
I've also emptied out my nice backpack a few times, but then I have that stuff all over a hotel room, worrying that I'll forget/lose something (or forget to take it out and have a heavy backpack).

I was at REI on Monday (had time to kill while waiting for a haircut and REI was very close so walked over) and they have something that may work. It is drawstring at the top, looks like it is even water resistant (maybe water proof). Price was around $40. If memory serves, it was the Flash Backpack:
https://www.rei.com/product/892074/rei-flash-18-pack

Does anyone have it? Care to comment?

I have a couple of backpacks given out at conferences with just a single strap. That is mostly useless, as you then need to make sure it doesn't fall off

Going to Beijing for a mileage run/mini vacation in mid-November, so would like to have something to bring with me. Probably doing a day hike on/near the Great Wall, and the daypack would be ideal.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: 75K AS, IHG
The Flash 18 linked above is my all-time favorite purchase and bag. I almost always stick it in checked baggage or a carryon to have a separate bag about town. Going to buy a new one as I've worn mine down to nothing after many years of abuse.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:18 pm

I dig my LL Bean Stowaway daypack. Although it doesn't fold down into the smallest pocket ever (9x6x2.5" or so), it has some features I really appreciate when hauling it around all day including lightly padded back and shoulder straps and a sternum strap. It has a hip belt as well, but it doesn't really function in a way that transfers load to your hips. It's more just to keep it tight to your body. The hip belt easily stows away and I rarely use it. I believe the capacity is 22L. Also, LL Bean has a pretty great warranty.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:56 pm

Day pack

I have the REI flash 18. The pros: very lightweight and folds down into small bundle, especially if you remove the foam pad. The cons: it's a cylinder with a top cinch opening, and, in order to get to something on the bottom, you have to dig past the top and middle stuff, or just take out the top and middle stuff. I got tired of doing this. I ended up getting a Patagonia anacapa daypack. It's not compressible like the flash 18, but it has better access to bottom of the bag items due to the zipper as opposed to a cinch closure. I use the outside center pocket for my umbrella and this works really well. I also have a Sea to Summit ultra-sil daypack, bought at REI. It's very lightweight, compressible, and has a zipper. Of these three, unless I need to compress the pack, I like the Patagonia anacapa best.

Last edited by penguino; Oct 16, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Just to follow-up...I did get the REI flash backpack, and used it on a recent trip to China.

It was fantastic to have for a hiking adventure along the Great Wall. I was amazed how much stuff I was able to get inside it (weather got warm so I was taking off layers and put them in it).
Plus after the hike, I went to the night market with some other folks from the hike, and the pack was great for putting in some purchases.

Also used it for a trip to the Water Cube. I swim and try to get to different/unique pools when I travel. With just a hotel towel, suit, and goggles, I could hardly even tell I had the pack on for the subway ride and short trek.

I really like how the pack rolls up so small to fit inside another bag. And I didn't have to worry about emptying out my nice travel backpack (it is a Tumi and I really didn't want to take it on the hike).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.