Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Discount Briggs & Riley + Baseline Size Question?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discount Briggs & Riley + Baseline Size Question?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Discount Briggs & Riley + Baseline Size/Weight Question?

I'm looking to update/upgrade my luggage and also to replace an older B&R expandable spinner that's damaged and starting to come apart at the seams. I'm not too wild about spending $650 to $700 on a bag though. I'm just wondering if anyone has tips for discounted sales of the current range or suggestions for e-tailers where I could source new Baseline luggage for a reasonably good price?

I'd also like to get some input from anyone who owns the newest expandable spinner... I'm trying to decide whether to spring for the XL or L and the biggest factor is weight. I need as much space as possible as I'll be using this primarily for int'l trips and I typically travel for a min. of two weeks and share luggage with my wife. I'm a notorious over-packer. I like to dress well and I tend to take up a lot of space when I pack, so the XL would seem more optimal on paper. Due to my packing habits, I often run into problems with oversized luggage though and I worry that the added weight of the XL Baseline Expandable might be more problematic than the L size, possibly negating any benefits of added space by forcing me to pack less to counter the extra pounds. Could I get some thoughts or feedback from folks who own either bag? Is the added space of the XL over the L rendered useless because you end up countering the added weight by not taking full advantage of the extra space? I don't want to invest big bucks in a piece of luggage that costs me exorbitant fees for overweight baggage each time I fly somewhere.

So to summarize: B&R Baseline Expandable Spinner in L or XL for over packer who travels extensively (2-3 week itineraries) with wife, sharing luggage space?

Thanks!

PS - Any place I can trade in old B&R luggage for credit towards new purchases? I'd like to upgrade my wheeled wardrobe too, if I can get a reasonable price.

Last edited by OliverB; Sep 25, 2016 at 7:07 am
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Just to clarify, I'm deciding between the following:

U128CXSP
http://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/col...able-spinner-3

VS

U131CXSP
http://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/col...ndable-spinner

Re. pricing, I'm in San Francisco, in case there's a local stockist that might be discounted heavier than web retailers.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:08 am
Original Poster

After extensive research I went with the large expandable spinner as the extra size and weight of the XL seemed counterproductive when considering airline baggage regulations. I decided to purchase through ebags for the Chase points, using the portal.

Can anyone tell me whether the bag comes with these B&R wire hangers included?
http://www.briggs-riley.com/wire-hangers

I'm also trying to find dimensions for the hangers to see if they'd accommodate my sport coats, but no luck so far...

I plan to eventually purchase a Wardrobe Spinner (U177SP) as well, to attach to the Expandable Spinner. I tend to travel recreationally with lots of sport coats and I have an older model of the B&R wardrobe (approx. 5 years and purchased in Canada) which I'm not so crazy about. When traveling for 2+ weeks, I typically pack a full size bag along with the wardrobe, which I use exclusively for suits and separates. My older model doesn't seem to be as efficient and it's missing a lot of the newer features which makes it less functional. It's large and heavy, but it can only hold approx. 4 suits or 6 sport coats. It also doesn't have the padded center panel which causes creases and wrinkling when folded, which is really the main catalyst for upgrading. Most importantly though, is that it features 3 wally clamps - two on top and one on the bottom, which makes for much more efficient spacing. My current wardrobe only has two clamps on top, which creates uneven packing space as the bag ends up being very top heavy but with unused space at the bottom. I typically fold my suit trousers in my main luggage (with shirts and knitwear) and I use the wardrobe for all jackets. The extra wally clamp would make an enormous difference, as I'd probably be able to pack an extra 3 sport coats. I'd estimate that I could probably squeeze about 7-9 jackets comfortably into the newer spinner model, as opposed to just 5-6 with my older bag. It's a bit out of my price range right now though, so I'll have to put it on the wish list for next year...
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you'll fall into overweight bag category rather easily with those monsters - i would recommend buying 2 smaller bags (25" perhaps) over than 1 xl one... stp has both sympatico and torq on sale although as checked bags baseline or other nylon are prob better...
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:22 pm

If your old B&R bag is falling apart, you should contact them. They tout their amazing warranty--put them to the test, and (hopefully) get a free bag out of it!

I'm shopping for my next B&R bag, too (I have and love my Baseline carry-on) and I came across this video last night--
. I pride myself on my packing ability, but I had never thought of doing it that way. Mind blown!!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: Independent
But what's the point? You still have to check it with it being that heavy and expanded. So why stuff everything into a small suitcase when you can more easily do it with a little larger one?

Of course, I don't even own that many clothes, but if I did...
gentoo likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Well my new B&R Baseline arrived yesterday evening and it's actually lighter weight than the last bag of equal size that I purchased years ago. I plan to get that older one repaired under their lifetime warranty guarantee and pass it on to the missus. I'll eventually be selling and upgrading my 2 wheeled wardrobes as well. I'm very happy with the new suitcase!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship
But what's the point? You still have to check it with it being that heavy and expanded. So why stuff everything into a small suitcase when you can more easily do it with a little larger one?

Of course, I don't even own that many clothes, but if I did...
I agree. Those videos really don't do much for me. Real men's dress shoes should not be squeezed in like that. And there is no place for another pair of shoes. What happens if you wanted to work out? Where do sneakers go?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
Originally Posted by OliverB
Well my new B&R Baseline arrived yesterday evening and it's actually lighter weight than the last bag of equal size that I purchased years ago. I plan to get that older one repaired under their lifetime warranty guarantee and pass it on to the missus.
My SO recently donated an 8-y/o Baseline bag because I made some comment about needing to get it repaired (the wheel bearings were making grinding noises), and it was taken as a "I can take this bag to Goodwill" (doh!).

When I went to my local luggage shop, the sales rep said that a few years ago, B&R switched from a heavier ABS plastic in bags of our vintage to a lighter (not carbon fiber, but something closer to that). The bags are much lighter, but he didn't see an uptick in repairs. And he was totally willing to call out B&R for bad product calls -- their old one-click spring-loaded expansion system was a big sore point...
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by OliverB
I plan to get that older one repaired under their lifetime warranty guarantee and pass it on to the missus.
Last time I sent in my old 24" Baseline (I maybe bought it around 02 and think I it was 12 when I sent it in last), they called me to see if I wanted to apply my old bag as credit to buy a new one. This was all done via voicemail, so I don't have the records, but while they offered me credit, it was based off full price of a new bag. Just FYI, since you asked about that further up.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:36 pm

Travelsmith has B&R sale now

30% off. Free shipping for $75 and over.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Also ,if you don't have an immediate luggage emergency and are somewhat flexible about models and colors, keep an eye on Sierra Trading Post's web site- overstocked and discontinued items for 30-40% off original list, and their mailing list and Facebook page will often have additional 25-35% off coupon days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.