Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Goruck GR2 34L THAT much bigger than GR1??

Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking of purchasing the Goruck GR2 34L for when I need to pack more than what my GR1 can hold (i.e., winter clothes). I do not want the 40L because it's 22 inches long---longer than most international standards.

This is my question...

I know the Goruck 2 34L is 8 liters bigger than the GR1 on paper, but, in practical terms is it really that much larger??

I mean isn't the main compartment the same and thus fits the same amount of clothes?

True, that means you could put your 3-1-1 bag, first aid kit, misc. items bag in that 2 inch extra GR2 top section, but, I am always able to fit those items (which are in quart size zip locks) along the sides or top of my clothes in the main section.

Thank you.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:55 pm

I too was hoping and checking to see if someone with experience with both bags would answer your question. As you mentioned, on paper it's 8 liters bigger but the outer section doesn't appear to really hold that much more and seems to be a lot bulkier than the GR1.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:56 am

My $ .02

In my opinion, the GR-2 34L provides a little more organization via the front compartment; I like to use this section to stash my jacket along with the bag I use to hold my in-flight essentials. There are also four built-in pockets of varying sizes for other "small stuff". The main compartment will hold my clothing. I normally do not travel with a laptop, so I use that space to hold a small (15") Eagle Creek folder to hold my collared shirts.

That being said, I still use the GR-1 more frequently, especially for international trips. There never seems to be a worry about compliance with carry-on requirements/dimensions. It's profile is slimmer and just works well for my personal needs. Also consider that the GR-1 is about $ 100.00 less.

All things being equal, I don't feel the additional 8L of payload is that advantageous. Go with the GR-1. There's a reason it's the company best seller. It's not just for rucking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.