Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B&R - Worth the Price Point?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

B&R - Worth the Price Point?

Jumping back heavily into international travel after 15+ years in the US. Previous travels to MENA, EMEA, and Latin America were just me and a backpack, which is not going to work for my business trips this year. I will be headed out on two trips shortly - Dubai/India in November and Japan/Vietnam in June.

Since I have to buy new luggage anyway, I need some opinions on whether Briggs & Riley luggage is worth the price point (either in hardside or softside - I haven't decided). Specifically:

1. Wear & tear
2. Warranty
3. Functionality

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Yes it is. I travel a lot of international travel, and in the last three years it has never failed. Still looks brand new. It has fit into all the OHB I have been on. It is the baseline 22". Great bag carries everything I need for two weeks of travel.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by powerlifter
Yes it is. I travel a lot of international travel, and in the last three years it has never failed. Still looks brand new. It has fit into all the OHB I have been on. It is the baseline 22". Great bag carries everything I need for two weeks of travel.
Same here, the U122CX is a fantastic travel companion.

BJ
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:39 am

+1 for B&R. I've had mine for about 20 years (I think it's a baseline 22") and the only thing that has broken so far is the zipper pull. B&R fix it every time under warranty but I'm also lucky to have a local repair shop.

I'd look into how you'd affect a warranty repair.
Is there a local repair center or do you have to ship it to B&R? The warranty is a big deal (plenty of discussion on FT) but even if the warranty isn't feasible (shipping costs) it's a quality product.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by kywanderer
Jumping back heavily into international travel after 15+ years in the US. Previous travels to MENA, EMEA, and Latin America were just me and a backpack, which is not going to work for my business trips this year. I will be headed out on two trips shortly - Dubai/India in November and Japan/Vietnam in June.

Since I have to buy new luggage anyway, I need some opinions on whether Briggs & Riley luggage is worth the price point (either in hardside or softside - I haven't decided). Specifically:

1. Wear & tear
2. Warranty
3. Functionality

Thanks for the feedback.
I bought a B&R Baseline International Widebody based on the feedback on this website and others, and used it for a two week trip through Britain, France and Benelux on Air France and KLM. Sadly, it did not fit the sizers at CDG or AMS, and so I had to check it on every flight. (And to make matters worse, KLM lost it).

It's a great bag, but you *can not* carry it on in Europe, regardless of what the B&R marketing copy says.

Edited to add size restrictions:
KLM: 21.5 x 13.5 x 10 inches
AF: 21.7 x 13.8 x 9.9 inches

The B&R website lists the dimensions of the Intl Widebody as 21 x 15 x 9 inches - but that doesn't appear to include the outside frame. In the CDG/AF sizer, the bag was too large in every dimension.

Last edited by jg70124; Sep 22, 2016 at 11:22 am
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by jg70124
I bought a B&R Baseline International Widebody based on the feedback on this website and others, and used it for a two week trip through Britain, France and Benelux on Air France and KLM. Sadly, it did not fit the sizers at CDG or AMS, and so I had to check it on every flight. (And to make matters worse, KLM lost it).

It's a great bag, but you *can not* carry it on in Europe, regardless of what the B&R marketing copy says.

Edited to add size restrictions:
KLM: 21.5 x 13.5 x 10 inches
AF: 21.7 x 13.8 x 9.9 inches

The B&R website lists the dimensions of the Intl Widebody as 21 x 15 x 9 inches - but that doesn't appear to include the outside frame. In the CDG/AF sizer, the bag was too large in every dimension.
No one is referring to or recommending that bag. Anything "widebody" is problematic.

The U122CX is the way to go either domestically or internationally, I haven't had a sizer issue or even a stray look from a gate agent in years of flying on scores of aircraft on dozens of airlines.

BJ
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by boltjames
No one is referring to or recommending that bag. Anything "widebody" is problematic.

The U122CX is the way to go either domestically or internationally, I haven't had a sizer issue or even a stray look from a gate agent in years of flying on scores of aircraft on dozens of airlines.

BJ
BJ is quite right no problems with the U122CX.I will travel on AF in a couple of weeks with no problem. I looked at the wide body as well as the Torque, but drooped them for the U122CX as it fit the what I needed never been happier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.