Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Rimowa very overrated?

Rimowa very overrated?

Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Hertz PC , Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Madone59
My Pelican won't break under abuse....at least not abuse that cound be inflicted but air side opps
Originally Posted by GoRavens
Pelican cases are practically indestructible. I once broke a latch, it was my fault. Tried to find a replacement latch, but couldn't find anyone who sold just the latch. I finally called Pelican. They wouldn't sell me one, but they sent me a new set of 4 latches for free. Turns out their policy is "you break it, we'll replace it."

I wonder if anyone has tried their luggage.
Originally Posted by fassy
Yes, as carry-on for a field service trip. But not for e.g. a sales meeting or conference. They are indestructible, but not really nice to look at, always look like a tool box - and that's what I use them for
Pelican's are pretty much indestructible, but American Airlines managed to crack my red bezel on the Pelican Elite 22" carry-on (I had to gate check it on a CRJ-300). Yes Pelican would replace it (I reached out) but I felt American should since they jacked it up. They did indeed buy me a new one, but not until making me wait 6 weeks. Love the look of the Rimowa, but I ended up going with a Briggs & Riley Baseline Expandable Carry-on spinner.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
Definitely not overrated - it was very obvious when family and I ran through 3 different airports to catch our connections, and I was the only one who had an easy time rolling my bags along (good wheels, minimal effort - and my bag was THE heaviest of the lot).

My Rimowas have been over numerous surfaces, squashed and sat on, and yet survived many trips and many years of abuse. Expensive? Heck yes. Worth every cent? HECK YES.
COMPLETELY agree with all your points! ^

Rimowa is so overrated that people like you, bulbmogul, and me swear by them and most of us own more than 1 piece of Rimowa - I'm on my 4th and my collection is growing and all my Rimowa are used regularly on my frequent trips around the world.

The only 'complaint' that I have is that for the price that they are charging us, they need to offer a lifetime warranty so that we can always experience their incredible customer services. The wheels on one of my Salsa no longer rolled smoothly so I was working near DFW and found out that their official repair center is nearby. I took the bag there in the morning and picked up in the afternoon with brand new wheels for that legendary glide through airports again ^
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by peterk814
B&R is where its at for me. I would not spend the money on a Rimowa. I fly close to 160 days a year which is more than even your average flight attendant and have been for the last 8 years consecutively. Ive used 1 B&R bag for that entire duration. While the bag has its scuffs, nothing is broken and it works as well as the day I bought it.
Before i read your post i was going to echo what you just wrote. I will put my Briggs 4 wheel spinner against any of the Rimowas and the BR is hands down a better bag.

i too was perplexed as to the cult like following of the Rimowa bags. they are very expensive and for what?? the plastic they use on the outside is not proprietary. I am sure it a very nice bag but i dont see the price point.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by feysul
i too was perplexed as to the cult like following of the Rimowa bags. they are very expensive and for what?? the plastic they use on the outside is not proprietary. I am sure it a very nice bag but i dont see the price point.
Plastic? What plastic? Alu is the one to go with.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

compared to what?

does B&R make much hard side?

'real' LV = bespoke steamers
or brands like valextra with no/few rolling
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Plastic? What plastic? Alu is the one to go with.
The Aluminum/Topas (inclusive of Topas Titanium) Rimowa items seem to have become a lower proportion of sold Rimowas than used to be the case several years ago.

If I wanted a polycarbonate/plastic suitcase, Rimowa isn't what I would be picking up.

I like my Rimowas, but only the cabin bag ones really do it for me. And even then I don't take them on most of my trips.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

The Aluminum/Topas (inclusive of Topas Titanium) Rimowa items seem to have become a lower proportion of sold Rimowas than used to be the case several years ago.

If I wanted a polycarbonate/plastic suitcase, Rimowa isn't what I would be picking up.

I like my Rimowas, but only the cabin bag ones really do it for me. And even then I don't take them on most of my trips.
Aluminum Topas Stealth etc due to the cost stop people from buying them but even the Polycarbonate ones are not budget friendly. Those who are firm believers in Rimowa like myself will continue to purchase it..
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by bulbmogul
So over rated i end up with 3 different Topas Rimowa's..

how does this prove or disprove the topic?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by bulbmogul
Aluminum Topas Stealth etc due to the cost stop some people from buying them but even the Polycarbonate ones are not budget friendly.
Now it's correct
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Too heavy for most customers. It's great in C/F when you have an allowance in excess of 3x70 lbs, but not so much when you have to cram everything for a 14-day trip into an already 14 lbs heavy luggage with a 50 lbs allowance.

BTW: If plastic is plastic, then you certainly won't object to using the K2Global you get when BA breaks your suitcases. Looks and feels flimsy.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Too heavy for most customers. It's great in C/F when you have an allowance in excess of 3x70 lbs, but not so much when you have to cram everything for a 14-day trip into an already 14 lbs heavy luggage with a 50 lbs allowance.

BTW: If plastic is plastic, then you certainly won't object to using the K2Global you get when BA breaks your suitcases. Looks and feels flimsy.
My wheeled Rimowa cabin baggage is never 50lbs or more.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:53 am

I cannot say enough good about Rimowa's service.

Last year, I checked my Salsa in on a short-haul flight. When I got to baggage claim, it was sitting off the belt, with the handle pulled up, so I grabbed it and left the airport. At the hotel a bit later, I noticed that an airline handler had actually pulled out the handle and then threw the bag, slightly denting the handle - so it didn't slide in and out smoothly at all.

As there's no service centre in the country where I'm working, about ten days ago I contacted a service centre in Europe to make a repair appointment, and this past weekend took the bag up on a weekend trip. I dropped it off on Thursday, and returned Friday expecting something like a EUR100 bill - I've had the bag about four years, and told the repair centre that it was airline damage.

When I returned to pick-up my bag, they gave me a brand new one. I asked if they were sure - they were. I'm not sure if there could have been some other issue in the mechanism - there was a bit of a language barrier - but all to say I left feeling *extremely* impressed with Rimowa. I have three of their bags now, and will be adding another before too long. I can't say enough good things...

Last edited by makin'miles; Apr 19, 2018 at 2:37 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.