Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

B&R widebody - larger than KLM's limits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA

I've just purchased a B&R Baseline international widebody carry-on for a two week trip through Europe with lots of connecting flights on AF and KLM. But it seems that the bag is actually larger than European carrier carry-on limits.

Limit as stated by KLM: max 55 x 35 x 25 cm / 21.5 x 13.5 x 10 in
Size according to B&R: 53.5 x 38 x 23 cm / 21 x 15 x 9 in

Has anyone here had trouble because the bag is wider than the limits?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jg70124
I've just purchased a B&R Baseline international widebody carry-on for a two week trip through Europe with lots of connecting flights on AF and KLM. But it seems that the bag is actually larger than European carrier carry-on limits.

Limit as stated by KLM: max 55 x 35 x 25 cm / 21.5 x 13.5 x 10 in
Size according to B&R: 53.5 x 38 x 23 cm / 21 x 15 x 9 in

Has anyone here had trouble because the bag is wider than the limits?
Not even close. At least 2" too tall, and 1" too wide. Plus, it turns out the 12 kg limit is total, so if you have to travel with a laptop, as I do, your briefcase will use ~1/2 of your allocation.

It's a nice bag, but I feel like I got suckered.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: flyingblue
Did you manage to use it or did it not fit? Looking at the same bag and same airline but don't want to have a nice bag stuck in my wardrobe at home that I can't use.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freemach
Did you manage to use it or did it not fit? Looking at the same bag and same airline but don't want to have a nice bag stuck in my wardrobe at home that I can't use.
Was forced to check it at EDI, CDG and AMS. So it is indeed a lovely bag that mostly doesn't get used.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: flyingblue
Ah well, back to the drawing board...
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Consider this one. It is my choice for going through Europe. Less space but more certainty.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/baseline...upright-u119cx
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:48 pm

I have the B&R international wide body carry-on and did not have any problem going to/from Europe, but they made me gate-check it for EasyJet flights within Europe. I may look into the 119CX, or better yet, carry my Red Oxx Air Boss next trip.

My experience has been, with the exception of British Air, European airlines are not nearly as accommodating as U.S. carriers in regard to carry-on. In Berlin a few weeks ago, Lufthansa personnel seemed particularly rigid, but oddly only enforcing the size/weight limits on some people-not all? I had my Luggageworks Stealth 22" for my carry-on, and could never pass the weight restriction, but the carry-on enforcers passed right by me.

I should also add that KLM has never weighed or measured my carry-on either, but it has been a few years since I flew with them.

Last edited by NeilA; Jan 16, 2017 at 1:10 pm
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by NeilA
I have the B&R international wide body carry-on and did not have any problem going to/from Europe, but they made me gate-check it for EasyJet flights within Europe. I may look into the 119CX, or better yet, carry my Red Oxx Air Boss next trip.

My experience has been, with the exception of British Air, European airlines are not nearly as accommodating as U.S. carriers in regard to carry-on. In Berlin a few weeks ago, Lufthansa personnel seemed particularly rigid, but oddly only enforcing the size/weight limits on some people-not all? I had my Luggageworks Stealth 22" for my carry-on, and could never pass the weight restriction, but the carry-on enforcers passed right by me.

I should also add that KLM has never weighed or measured my carry-on either, but it has been a few years since I flew with them.
My conclusions, based on empirical evidence only, is that the full-sized rollers get pulled over for size/weight checks more often than the smaller ones. My 119CX has never been stopped and that includes many flights on Lufthansa. Good thing too because it probably wouldn't make the weight limit.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by NeilA
KLM never measured or weighed my carry on and I probably had 100+ flights with them in the past few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.