Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thin/slim wallet recommendation with ID / RFID proteciton

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Thin/slim wallet recommendation with ID / RFID proteciton

I am looking for a slim front pocket wallet with ID slot , space for at least 5 - 7 credit cards, some bills and RFID protected. A quick search did not reveal a suggestion ..Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:55 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I bought a carbon-fibre wallet as a gift which had precisely these features (rather ironically it is leather on the inside and carbon fibre on the outside). Expensive (>$100) but works well and very slim. Got the impression that all the wallets from that range were RFID protected now. You could try searching for carbon-fibre to find the manufacturer.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Not sure quite how thin you're looking for, but I have one of these which does the job nicely. Always get comments about how good it looks at the checkouts.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please continue to follow this topic in Travel Products.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FastTrak2Elite
Not sure quite how thin you're looking for, but I have one of these which does the job nicely. Always get comments about how good it looks at the checkouts.
Can you link me to the product?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:06 am

here
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FastTrak2Elite
Thanks..would that sit comfortably in the front pocket?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:56 am

Suit trousers would be fine, jeans a struggle.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Please continue to follow this topic in Travel Products.
okay..I wear jeans most of the time so I will pass this good suggestion...but great choice for folks.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Bellroy: http://bellroy.com/products?filter=everyday
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Check out Big Skinny and Allett

I just have a regular card case with space for 4 cards/id's and some cash b/c i want something small and minimalist, but I had a bifold similar in dimensions to the Allett RFID ID wallet and was comfortable in my jeans front pocket, although that might also depend on how tight you wear your jeans.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:07 am

*delete post* I didn't see Rfid requirement.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
I am looking for a slim front pocket wallet with ID slot , space for at least 5 - 7 credit cards, some bills and RFID protected. A quick search did not reveal a suggestion ..Thanks
+1 for BigSkinny. I've used the leather Curve wallet for a few years now in front pocket. Has all the features you're looking for and really works great!
Old Sep 3, 2016, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I'm not sure what you carry around but there's a good possibility that you won't actually need RFID protection (and thus more options may be available). RFID capability has pretty much gone away from all US credit and debit cards* so they can't be read remotely anyway. Also, stuff like the Global Entry card and your passport can probably stay in your hotel room most of the time. If you still feel that you need it, you could also buy the RFID sleeves separately; Walgreens and likely other stores carry them.

*With a few exceptions. AmEx (and I think Wells Fargo) have them but you have to explicitly request one. The Citi Costco card also has them and adds the feature by default. Either way, the ones with the feature available use a newer standard that a) only works within a couple inches of the reader and b) do the same sort of one-time code generation that chip/EMV cards use.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm not sure what you carry around but there's a good possibility that you won't actually need RFID protection (and thus more options may be available). RFID capability has pretty much gone away from all US credit and debit cards* so they can't be read remotely anyway. Also, stuff like the Global Entry card and your passport can probably stay in your hotel room most of the time. If you still feel that you need it, you could also buy the RFID sleeves separately; Walgreens and likely other stores carry them.
This.

I have an average-for-a-Flyertalker number of credit cards (so, a lot) and not one of them has an RFID tag in it. The NEXUS/GE/SENTRI card comes with a sleeve. American e-passports have a shielded cover, so they can only be read when open; other countries' should be the same but I don't know for sure. AFAIK no standard American driver's license has RFID in it. The "enhanced" licenses available from some states on the Canadian border do.

The only cards I carry around with RFID are transit cards that I do want to read through my wallet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.