Wiki Posts
Search

Blazer Jacket vs. Bomber Jacket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Blazer Jacket vs. Bomber Jacket

Hi,

I'm looking for a new travel "coat", and the options I consider are a blazer jacket (less structured than suit jacket), or a bomber style jacket.

The pros and cons I see with each are:
Blazer jacket:
P: looks more elegant, plenty of inner pockets.
C: might be uncomfortable to wear onboard.

Bomber jacket:
P: comfortable to wear onboard, more suitable when just strolling/shopping.
C: less formal and might look too "sporty", might have less inner storage pockets.

So the dillema here is between looking dapper or wearing a more "functional" jacket.

Would appreciate suggestions which one to go with, based on experience.

Cheers
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:33 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Not easy to answer as so much is personal choice! Are you intending to wear it at the destination? How much luggage are you carrying/travelling with?

For example, I regularly travel in a suit with one bag for overnight stuff and my papers. I am not packing the suit as it would be crumpled in the bag and more to pack and carry.

If you are travelling light and intending to wear the blazer to work/meetings where a bomber jacket would not be appropriate, then that is your answer. If you need casual clothes for a few days and a casual top coat to wear, then the Bomber Jacket is coming anyway - whether worn or packed.

If it is an either/or choice, then it is your personal choice as to what you can use or mix-and-match or how much luggage you wish to carry.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
A Harrington jacket, they have stood the test of time!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mzzxx11
Hi,

I'm looking for a new travel "coat", and the options I consider are a blazer jacket (less structured than suit jacket), or a bomber style jacket.

Blazer jacket:

Bomber jacket:
C: less formal and might look too "sporty", might have less inner storage pockets.

So the dillema here is between looking dapper or wearing a more "functional" jacket.

Cheers
I agree. Those inner spikes on blazer and suits jackets just make them uncomfortable to wear onboard a plane!

Really? What about a well-tailored (or even untailored) blazer or suit coat should inherently make it uncomfortable? Nothing as far as I can see.

Well, yes, wearing winter-weight for a flight to Dubai in July might be pretty uncomfortable, but otherwise. . .
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hi,

Blazer jacket:

Bomber jacket:

Cheers
Q) What shoes should I wear? These black oxfords, or these Nike sneakers?

A) The difference is whether I'm playing basketball or walking into a corporate board meeting.

Asking a bunch of strangers what jacket to wear is going to produce similar results to asking "How big is a ball of string?"
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
ScotteVest makes a number of travel-centric jackets and one sport coat. Pockets galore and nice styles.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Q) What shoes should I wear? These black oxfords, or these Nike sneakers?

A) The difference is whether I'm playing basketball or walking into a corporate board meeting.

Asking a bunch of strangers what jacket to wear is going to produce similar results to asking "How big is a ball of string?"
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:32 pm

Hi,

Blazer jacket:

Bomber jacket:

Cheers
Definitely the casual blazer/jacket. Look for terms such as "unstructured", "Unlined" or "half-lined". Stylish yet good airflow and comfortable for sitting down with. Bomber jacket after a certain point, hmmmm is.....just.....no. A good casual jacket you can dress it down with a cool knit shirt, or dress it up with a more formal shirt. Ultra flexible.

Some recs here:

https://www.zegna.co.uk/uk-en/produc...t.9897679.html

https://www.zegna.co.uk/uk-en/ready-...t.9903840.html

http://www.sandcopenhagen.com/6889-s...-lined-normal/

http://www.sandcopenhagen.com/6870-s...-lined-normal/

https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens/...r/730193?ppv=2

https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens/...r/742270?ppv=2

if you dont mind putting in the investment, the Zenga is superb stuff. Sand is a "poor man's" version: fairly affordable in comparison to Zenga but still really good tailoring for mass market.

Last edited by osamede; Sep 3, 2016 at 4:37 pm
Old Sep 4, 2016, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Perfect. A helpful reply and much appreciated.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
I would second the Scotevest idea.

I also see the ambiguity at the question of bomber jacket verses Sportscoat.

But then I see that you are considering a Sportscoat for flying on a commercial airline that costs more than 2,000 pounds and now I understand that we are speaking different languages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.