Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Backback recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Backback recommendations

Hi! I'm looking for a backpack that can be used as a carry on for short flights, but also for road trips and lugging stuff around town. My budget is around $80-120.

The eBags Mother Lode backpack looks like a nice option and is highly recommended, but I think it might be a little big, especially for stowing under an airline seat. It's around 45-50L, right?

Another consideration is the Osprey Farpoint 40. It seems more reasonable in size and I like that it opens up all the way on the front.

I'm a big LL Bean fan, and they seem to have several nice options as well.

What are some more recommended packs in the 40L range?

Last edited by poisson; Aug 26, 2016 at 11:53 am
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
I can't say anything about the others, but I'm very happy with my Farpoint 40. I've been using it exclusively for two years now. It has just enough room for the stuff I need and is just small enough to fit underneath plane/train/bus seats (as long as there's no IFE box in the way) or on my lap. I've never had any issues taking it as carry-on, although I have checked it on occasion when I felt I might have overpacked it or was carrying liquids.

The fact that you can stash the straps is surprisingly useful when you do want to check it. I also like that the zippers can be locked properly and that the frame of the bag is partially exposed at the bottom (which I've used to chain my bag to something for some extra peace of mind on night trains or in hostel rooms without lockers).

The downsides are that the laptop compartment is on the outside of the bag, away from your back (which isn't ideal for balancing and feels a bit less safe/sturdy) and that it could do with an additional pocket or two.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I have both the ebags.com TLS MotherLode Weekender Convertible and the "Junior" version of the same backpack. These backpacks have great features and both can fit a ton of clothing and "stuff" inside. I bought the Junior version after a couple of trips where the regular Weekender was just too heavy.

eBags also makes the "eTech 2.0" line with 2 sizes, the features and price points are slightly lower than the TLS line. I've purchased a number of ebags-labelled travel products over the years. The quality is great, I've had no complaints whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.