Reload this Page >

worn wheels not covered by warranty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

worn wheels not covered by warranty?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Wheels can be had on ebay for <$20 and are trivial to change on most 'professional' level bags.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by maverikbc
I looked into an option of repairing / replacing wheels. The wheels are attached by rivets, so I can't do it by myself without a special tool.
A drill with a good bit (titanium) to drill out the rivet. Then use a bolt (may need to use a nylon or metal sleeve to protect the wheel axle hole from the threads if you don't find a bolt with a long enough shoulder). You can get the bolts/nuts/sleeves at Home Depot or other big box home store (or many smaller hardware stores). If it takes 15 minutes you did something wrong.

I'd use skate wheels with good IBEC rated bearings - way better than stock wheels.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:03 pm

EASY WHEEL REPLACEMENT (travelpro 76mm)

edit: I worked out the math and I would have been just as well off, on a per-pair of wheels basis, to have simply ordered them from Travelpro. Travelpro was $22.50/pr with shipping for 2 wheels and bearings.

By the time I got the skate wheels, inserts, bearings and washers (which the Travelpro wheels don't need) I was at $20.69. Plus all the time it took to find the parts, place the orders, etc. Ignore the stuff below, just order from the mfr.

================================================== ==============

I have just started replacing my travelpro wheels with these from Walmart: OUTDOOR Inline Skate Wheels ASPHALT Formula 76MM 89a BLACK x4

76mm is the outside diameter of the wheel, measure yours to get the right size, 89a is the hardness of the rubber, these are hard rubber outdoor wheels that are designed to take a beating, color is black but they have other colors, and you get 4 wheels for under $16 shipped

They do not come with bearings, so I refurbish and reuse the old bearings which are still good.

I found that when I took the old bearings out I had encountered someone's chewing gum, hair, and other gunk. I cleaned and oiled them with 3-in-1 oil and replaced them... I
have also ordered

8 bearings: $15.00 http://tgmskateboards.com/bones-bearings-reds/
received and they are, in fact, very smooth bearings. Much smoother than the old/used Travelpro bearings.

4 wheels: $16.00
https://www.walmart.com/ip/48327089

8 x 8mm to 6mm spacers: $8.00
http://tgmskateboards.com/inline-spa...xles-aluminum/

Also I needed 6 washers: 1/4 IN x 1.1mm to compensate for the extra space between the bearings and the housing.

Last edited by billykidd; Nov 13, 2016 at 10:00 pm
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:03 pm

As mentioned above by others, I also replaced the wheels on my Crew4 roll aboard with inline skate wheels. The cool thing is, if you get a color other than black, it makes it very easy to identify your bag if you had checked it. It's pretty easy once you have the right hardware.

I'd agree with an above mentioned post - a luggage repair shop should be able to set you up with new wheels quick and easy. And you'll probably have really good wheels afterwards.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:02 pm

Local repair shop parts

Originally Posted by GoRavens
As mentioned above by others, I also replaced the wheels on my Crew4 roll aboard with inline skate wheels. The cool thing is, if you get a color other than black, it makes it very easy to identify your bag if you had checked it. It's pretty easy once you have the right hardware.

I'd agree with an above mentioned post - a luggage repair shop should be able to set you up with new wheels quick and easy. And you'll probably have really good wheels afterwards.
my local luggage shop doesn't stock the wheels or bearings because of the wide variety. They order these on a per-incident basis.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
A spinner double wheel on one of my Samsonite suitcases finally chipped.

I bought a set of two such light-weight suitcases at Costco maybe seven years ago.

My plan is to contact the company to make a purchase of a replacement.

Last edited by vanillabean; Mar 22, 2019 at 11:21 am
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Filed a report on the Samsonite website including the Costco receipt. Took the suitcase to a nearby store and got free shipping to the repair center and back to my home. Received emails this morning that I’ll get a free replacement suitcase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.