Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Round the world trip - checked luggage recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tizzette
These days most every kind of appliance or equipment such as hair dryers are dual current, not just computers and cell phones.
A very brave and courageous statement
Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I would say that dual current options for most every appliance are *available* but certainly not the only - and absolutely not the cheapest - options out there.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

The carry-on only test run from BOS-LAX and back went pretty well. I intentionally packed much of my extra stuff I'd take on the round the world trip, other than extra clothes and with using storage cubes, I was able to fit everything with plenty of room to spare in the cubes. I didn't expect cubes to really make much difference but once I watched a few youtube videos on how to use them correctly, it was a huge difference.

It also helped me figure out some stuff I missed on my packing list. So it seems me and my 21" TravelPro will be headed out Sept 21 thru Oct 3 on a 25,000 mile carry-on only adventure.

I think the last piece I'm trying to figure out is how the heck to mount my Microsoft Surface Pro to the back of a coach seat in front of me with the tray table open or closed. I've found a solution for closed. But not open so I can comfortably use my Arc mouse on the tray table. The only time I was comfortable in coach using the MSSP4 with keyboard was if the middle seat was empty and I could use that tray table. I'm business class from JFK-CAN-SIN but after that, it's coach all the way. Jetstar Asia, Thai Airways, Lufthansa, BA, Norwegian Air Shuttle.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I would say that dual current options for most every appliance are *available* but certainly not the only - and absolutely not the cheapest - options out there.
There's a tag on the cords where you can look and see if both kinds of currents are listed. Without being advertised as dual current, it often is. I have ordinary inexpensive stuff (curlers, water kettle, sometimes a hair dryer) with US plugs that I plug into a power strip with a shucko plug for the wall outlet and universal outlets.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

I'm headed out in 4 hours. This bag is packed to the gills even though I didn't take a ton of clothes. Most everything else is in my backpack. Tried to use my laptop bag but it wasn't large enough. Still, this is major downsizing for me. Wish me luck!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robr
I'm headed out in 4 hours. This bag is packed to the gills even though I didn't take a ton of clothes. Most everything else is in my backpack. Tried to use my laptop bag but it wasn't large enough. Still, this is major downsizing for me. Wish me luck!
With 4 hours to go you can still stuff behind @:-) You will not need it all ^
Good luck
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

I pretty much needed it all. I had laundry done half way through. I also ended up going clothes shopping for the wife and daughter via video Skype in India. That filled up the spare duffel bag I had jammed into my carry on. So after India, I had a checked bag to deal with for the rest of the trip. I looked into shipping all of that to the US from India but it was $100+
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I pretty much needed it all. I had laundry done half way through. I also ended up going clothes shopping for the wife and daughter via video Skype in India. That filled up the spare duffel bag I had jammed into my carry on. So after India, I had a checked bag to deal with for the rest of the trip. I looked into shipping all of that to the US from India but it was $100+
Thanks for the follow up. If you were to go back after having done it once would you have changed your packing strategy?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Thanks for your after-action report. Other readers definitely would benefit from your comments about what you used a lot and if you took anything you ended up not needing.

I love the comment about shopping for family using Skype, I frequently do this when shopping for my granddaughters who live far from me.

Welcome home and hope you had a fabulous trip.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Sure thing. I think there were 2 Tshirts I didn't end up wearing, and I could downsize the universal power strip/adapters. That was pretty large. The duffel bag was folded up and in a zipper pouch. I didn't have to use the bag extender but even so, it made my bag pretty thick and Jetstar Asia required me to check it. I would have preferred not to have brought that but it turned out I needed it for the gifts.

I managed to lose a kindle (in my India hotel room, it vanished, no clue how/where) and an expensive jacket I left in the overhead on Thai Airways. So I still have some organization to do.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good that it worked out OK. Its really not that hard to do.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
..Try to reduce the amount of electronic/IT stuff:- chargers & cables. Like charging your phone by USB cable from laptop/tablet and not a separate charger. And reduces plug issues.
Yes

...and I could downsize the universal power strip/adapters. That was pretty large...
<snip>
... but even so, it made my bag pretty thick and Jetstar Asia required me to check it. I would have preferred not to have brought that but it turned out I needed it for the gifts.
Jetstar is a low cost carrier, so does not suprise me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.