Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toilet seats for seatless toilets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: Miles and More, IHG, ANA Mileage Club, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by BDA shorts
That's the weird thing, it's all over Latin America. I've seen it in the Dominican Republic, in Argentina, and even in high-end shopping malls in Colombia. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how toilets get sold without seats to begin with, or what happens to the seats ("it broke" doesn't make sense when every toilet in the building is like that).

Cardboard's really not a bad idea. Would also fix the problem of constantly-changing seat sizes and being reused after a dirty bowl.
I guess the point is that often, the toilet seat gets distroyed by users, either because it is not heavy-duty material, or/and because some people from countries with squat toilets will put their feet on the toilet seat so as to be in a squatting position, and will break the seat by doing this.
After changing the toilet seat many times, some business or organizations will just stop using a seat.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
It's easier to poop when you're squatting. There is actually research into this.
Side note: there's something called the Squatty Potty Toilet Stool which lets you almost squat on a normal toilet. I can attest to it being a great idea and it has 4.4 stars on Amazon out of 5000 reviews, well, all of those can't be fake.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by chx1975
Side note: there's something called the Squatty Potty Toilet Stool which lets you almost squat on a normal toilet. I can attest to it being a great idea and it has 4.4 stars on Amazon out of 5000 reviews, well, all of those can't be fake.
And the OP is supposed to just roam around South America with one under his arms?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Nope. As I said: it was a side note. But it's also good as a step one to practice. In general, it's good for your health.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I used to have a very hard time with this... however frequent travel to rural China and India cured me.... the best video to watch as a primer is this:

Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
I've traveled in many countries where the toilet facilities are less than ideal. Usually, cleanliness is a problem as well.

Inconvenient as it is, the safest thing to do is to learn to "hover" (semi-squat) and not use the seat at all. Practice before you leave home.

A couple of tips:
  • Make sure that you use the toilet in your hotel to eliminate you solid waste, before you go out for the day.
  • Always carry tissues for wiping and wet wipes for hand cleansing
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:55 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The last time I was in CDG, the toilets LANDSIDE had NO toilet seats--AIRSDE they had TSs.
At NRT 1/2 the toilets were squat type, 1/2 "normal" toilets.
As one gets older squatting becomes more difficult; in the USA handicap toilets have toilet seats higher than non-h, these are easier to sit on than the others.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Here are an assortment.... seat covers and all.

https://www.rei.com/c/camp-toilets?r...toilets&page=1
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Maybe you should approach the problem differently. This may sound ridiculous, but...

What if you bring something to stabilize you while you squat so that you don't, uh, fall in.

The first thing that comes to my mind: 1 (or maybe 2) camera tripods. These can be small and light. They are not suspicious for travel because many people carry camera equipment. You could practice at home and learn how to quickly open and set them up (the legs are adjustable) so that the top of the tripod(s) was at a comfortable height for you to grip.

I'd also bring along disposable disinfectant wipes to wipe the bottom of the tripod legs when done.

(Be thankful that there is at least a toilet, even if it is missing its seat. I've visited some parts of the world where the bathrooms only had a hole in the floor.)
I can't use my tripod with my camera now after reading this. Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by magnet
I can't use my tripod with my camera now after reading this. Thanks.
Well, I was just trying to think outside the pot.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:29 am

Perhaps just take a pack of flushable wipes and a pack of disinfectant wipes. Use your hotel toilet.

One thing for sure, if you are in an "urgent" situation, one will usually get their business done very quickly.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: Platinum
https://www.rei.com/product/876178/r...seat-and-cover

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.