Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Any "business" carry-on backpacks with usable hip belts out there?

Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I am looking for carry-on backpacks that can be used for business travel, i.e., no loud colors, fancy stuff hanging off of them, etc. They should have a hip belt that is padded and capable of distributing weight, like those on hiking backpacks. They should be maximum size, like 21 x 14 x 8" and offer maximum volume. No need for fancy pockets or even laptop compartments, just plain and simple storage.

I have looked at the eBags Mother Lode Weekender, the Eagle Creek Digi Hauler, the Patagonia Headway MLC 45L and the Tortuga Travel Backpack. The only one of these that has a useful hip belt is the Tortuga, but I find the side pockets ridiculous.

I was wondering whether there is anything else out there worth considering.

Thanks so much in advance!

Cheers,
XV
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Try REI or some store like that. Choose a daypack with muted colors.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:15 pm

I don't have any of these but may fit the bill

Tom Bihn Brain bag
Minaal Carry or Day
Osprey Farpoint 40
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, finding useable hip belts in anything less than a full backpacker type pack is rare.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:57 am

MEI Execurtive Overnighter may fit the bill. The standard hip belt may work.

You may be able to upgrade to the hip belt from the Voyageur, which look to have much more padding.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions so far. Quite a few brands I had never heard of before.

The MEI offerings look really good. Minimalist and no-frills. And they seem to accommodate custom requests. And fairly inexpensive too. I'll definitely be getting touch with MEI.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:32 am

I'm taking my MEI Voyageur on it's first work trip next week - it holds quite a bit, and it has a real hip belt, unlike than the Executive Overnighter.

I only need casual clothing for work trips, so I like the single large compartment, and because it's much more rectangular than most backpacks it holds more for it's size.

The only other travel pack I know of with a decent hip belt is the Osprey Farpoint 40, but it definately looks less business than the MEI Voyageur.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:30 pm

The Mother Lode Weekender Convertible is a fantastic bag, and it's on sale today for $75 with a code I got in email. Just bought a second to take overseas this winter.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The Red Oxx Tres Hombres has chest buckles.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:17 am

Mac Pac make brilliant packs in a variety of sizes and styles. I have a 40L hiking pack that I use for travelling. Its extremely light with an excellent harness.
I also have a smaller 25L pack which also has a really good harness and hip belt.

Something like this might be in the style you are looking for.
http://www.macpac.co.nz/packs/trampi...g-daypack.html
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:41 pm

It doesn't have a hip belt, but if you are female, seriously consider a "women's" North Face backpack. I was skeptical about what they could do to make a different version of the same backpack for women, but they did - and the difference in comfort is real. I love it. The straps are curved so they more easily fit around a woman's bust.

Of course, if you're a man, it wouldn't make any difference

I have a grey North Face Recon (the colour isn't available any more), but they do have them in straight black: https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/eq...ariationId=PLP
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:02 pm

EMS Boda 40 might work. It has good hip support and a lot of capacity. The Northface Overhaul 40 is good, but the hip support is kind of a throw in.

http://www.ems.com/ems-boda-40-conve...0/1305786.html
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:45 am

One Planet

I am not sure what country your in, but you should check out the One planet wing it. link here https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product...ravel/wing-it/
They are a tough Aussie made pack, with a proper harness.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:00 pm

Lurker here, but had to chime in on this topic since I looked for the same thing for ages.

The best looking and most functional option is the Arcteryx Miura.

However I personally found I really do need compression straps and have settled on an Osprey Farpoint with the water bottle pockets and various decals removed. It's not the best looking option but the suspension system is the best of all I tried. The straps can be hidden away and I mostly stash the bag under my desk if I'm visiting an office and headed directly to or out of there.

I'm interested in the PacSafe Venturesafe x30 for the streamlined look but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It's also a top loader which I'm not crazy about but if you're not picking up and moving every few days, should be ok.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:47 am

I have both a Mei Voyageur and a Osprey Farpoint 40. The Mei I have is a bit too large around the hip to the point that the tightest setting does not wrap my hips. I wasn't asked for my hip size, so make sure you get them to make it smaller or customise it to your needs if you don't want extra straps dangling off your hip. Maybe it is because I've abused it too much since 2010, but I find the backpack to carry a little oddly these days, with the metal bars that act as support at the back protuding a little too much, which makes the back a little uncomfortable when carrying.

I'm quite impressed with the Osprey so far, but it's very new and I've not had the chance to test it on the roads yet. It doesn't look as business-like though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.