Wiki Posts
Search

Hardside Liners

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Hardside Liners

Is there a particular reason, besides esthetics, to have a liner in a hard shelled suitcase? I know it amounts to very little, but where every ounce counts, why bother with it?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
I had the same thought when I was researching this purchase. In my googling, I ran across the story of a Crumpler hard side suitcase that got cracked (when checked) and the contents were spilling out due to a lack of liner.

IMO, that's the benefit of a liner - keeping your stuff in the bag if it should fail.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Never had the shell of my Samsonite Oysters fail.

The original did not have any liners. It stayed that way to the F'lite II. The newest S'cure has liner with partition zip cover for the two halves. The liner I did not mind as I am used to the packing cube/pouches method. The partioning zip up liner was a PITA and I removed the complet liner.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Is there a particular reason, besides esthetics, to have a liner in a hard shelled suitcase? I know it amounts to very little, but where every ounce counts, why bother with it?
Abrasion was the original reason, or what I was told.

The molds on many models didn't create a ultra smooth finish, put a nylon/pvc based liner in to create a smoother finish that won't wear holes in your nice wool and cotton clothes while subjected to the constant vibration while in transit.

I'm not saying this was/is the reason for them all, but that is what I have heard or been told at bag factories in China multiple times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.